General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Overheating issue 1970 cutlass s 350 & others

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2012, 05:07 AM

Thanks guys, guess I can leave the fan positioned as is. The radiator and fan clutch are both new so that's not the issue. I'm thinking it could be the timing. I'm going to check the point gap, then get a timing light to see how it is set.
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:05 AM

Location: from Wisc, then Texas, then Kansas, now back to Texas,
check the fan blade pitch, should 2''....I fought with mine for 2 years before I realized the wrong fan was on it. Under 2'' it will not pull enough air, especially with a modified engine
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Hey Guys,

I wanted to circle back to let everyone know I was able to resolve my overheating problem. Turns out the rebuilt water pump had gone bad. We trailered the cutlass back to the machine shop for help troubleshooting. He reset the timing per his build specs, I installed a new (not rebuilt) water pump and we were good to go. Haven't seen the car or my teenage boys since

Againm thanks to Everyone for helping me diagnosis the possible cause of the problem. It's great to have a community of knowledgeable folks to turn to, and learning so much along the way!

Now, we just have to figure out why the heater doesn't.. getting darn cold here in St. Louis...
Old February 24th, 2023, 07:02 PM

How can a water pump go bad?

Originally Posted by 70ConvCutlass
Hey Guys,

I wanted to circle back to let everyone know I was able to resolve my overheating problem. Turns out the rebuilt water pump had gone bad. We trailered the cutlass back to the machine shop for help troubleshooting. He reset the timing per his build specs, I installed a new (not rebuilt) water pump and we were good to go. Haven't seen the car or my teenage boys since

Againm thanks to Everyone for helping me diagnosis the possible cause of the problem. It's great to have a community of knowledgeable folks to turn to, and learning so much along the way!

Now, we just have to figure out why the heater doesn't.. getting darn cold here in St. Louis...
Old February 24th, 2023, 07:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jrhotes
This is a decade-old thread and the OP hasn't been on this site since 2014.