General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

newnie with 67 olds cutlass 4 door.

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM

newnie with 67 olds cutlass 4 door.

well im doobie as everyone calls me. im 29 yrs old and been around cars all my life. here recently my old neighbor gave me this 67 olds cutlass 4-door with 68,097 miles (actual) with the 330 engine all originial down to the factory am deck that still works. i had to trailer it home since the tires was dryrotted,brakes didnt work, wasnt recently tagged, and it didnt run.

i got her home and parked in backyard messed with her some and pulled all spark plugs out. the motor was froze up i couldnt turn it by hand. so i put some oil down in cylinders and let set for week or so then begin turning motor by hand little each time. got it all freed up so i could turn it by hand (well with breaker bar). then i drained all the oil out of the enigine and what water it had left. put fresh oil in and water. it started up after new plugs. then i found out it had bad water pump or sumthun i had water in oil. so i redrained it let it drain for about a week. unhooked the water pump hoses. refilled with oil and it fired right up. didnt smoke or nuthin. i was very surprised. left front tire flat the other 3 was ok. drove it from backyard to front yard and sprayed it all off. backed it into garage. brakes would slow it down but with help of flat tire it would stop rolling farely fast. any how after i got her back in garage i did compression check and few failed. so i pulled engine to rebuild anyway and see what i had. i tore her down and looked at head gaskets and they was broke inbetween the water ports and oil ports. so that is where water came from.

but i have one problem now. which i hopefully can find right post to put it in. here it is first off. everything off engine except for oil pan,crank,cam and dist.

i cant figure out how to pull the distributor. it had alot of trash around it so i cleaned it really good and sprayed some penetrating oil down in around the base. still no good.
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard.

Hang in there and your questions will be answered [hopefully soon] Sound like you've got a good project going in the right direction.
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Distributers can be tough but you already have the engine out?....Either way, remove hold down bolt. Spray it up good with penetrant and get it to turn back and forth. Use pry bars under and on each side and some strategic hammer taps, keep trying and it will come.
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:21 AM

Hey; Also if you can turn the engine upside down you can tap on the bottom of the oil pump drive shaft. Try to work some penetrant in to the blocks dist. housing cavity. Good Luck
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM

well with a little help from mr hammer. and some penetrating oil it broke loose finally tonight. its down to bare block. time to clean up the stuff other than the heads and block as those r going to the machine shop to check for cracks honed for sure and hopefully not bored to much. i could not catch my finger nail on the ridge in piston walls so the motor it great shape as for the mileage part. no scratches in it or anything. so hopefully a good bath and repaint to factory colors. which is next project. i beleive the engine was all gold at one time or bronze maybe. the valve covers was gold and under all the grease and gunk i seen little hint of gold or bronze. any help on that be appreciated.

my new questions are:
where can i find the right paint codes of engine?
what was painted what color if any differance between parts?
where can i find the torque specs on the engine when i put it back to gether? or is it the same as chevy motors? olds is 330 and chevy motors i messed with r 350,400,327,454, and etc etc. just never messed with an actual olds engine.

and last but not least.
i want to put dual exhaust on the car when i put motor back in.
on the passenger side exhaust manifold do i just weld up or bolt up a metal plate where the y pipe came from other side?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Past Administrator

Doobie, sounds like you know what you are doing, it's good you can use the block without machine work. Keep us informed of the progress. You can start a thread in the small block forum perhaps....
As to the color of your engine, I offer this link.
Welcome to CO.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM

nice on the link. now can i ask a favor? i have ran into a problem well not really aproblem but befre i order some gaskets adn things i need to find out something.
ok i checked on bro442.com and fopund some casting numbers for the blocks. i emailed him and he said that his was basically from the books and mainly 65 442's the number on his site says 381917 A is a bigblock motor.

now the engine in my 67 4-dour cutlass that is all orginial 3rd owner been around car whole life has that same number on the block. so that leads me to believe its a bigblock car. but not 100 percent sure. the heads has a number 3 on the head, and intake has 397356.

any ideas on what motor this could be in 67? or did the bigblock numbers not change during the years? also i did find out that they put 442 engines or bigblocks in some of the 4 door cars for the police etc etc. know not hundred percent sure but i do remember in younger years that it was suppose to be a government car. for the fire dept or police or forestry. it was factory green color. but then again just hearsay. after all that was 18 yrs ago since i heard that from original owner. he passed so i cant confirm it.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
Past Administrator

This link might be of some interest to you. I refer to it often as it is continually updated. I think with the number 3 heads you have a small block.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by doobie23
........ bro442.com ........ the number on his site says 381917 A is a bigblock motor .........
I wonder if his information came from 442.com/oldsfaq.

My 425s are 386525A

Norm
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:19 AM

I believe numbered heads are all small block

Big block heads are lettered A, B, C, D, E, F, G, Ga, J, & K.

Someone correct me if I am wrong
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM

well today i looked and there is a 1 after the A. man was that area built up gunk. but anyhow i also measured the intake manifold and its 12 from one side to the other so it be a small block. o well now i can get me some gaskets and start putting it back together. of course i gotta find torque specs for the engine build up.