General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2012, 02:42 PM

Magnaflow

who's used these mufflers on a rocket 350? i have an opportunity to buy 2 of them slightly used. offset inlet/outlet and theyre polished. 14x9 oval case. anyone ever use these mufflers? cant pass up the deal im getting so im just curious how they sound/perform. I will be doing all my exhaust system at once which consists of flowtech headers, magnaflow x-pipe, magnaflow mufflers, and 3"x18" magnaflow tips anyone know if my gas milage is going to go up after my exhaust is installed?
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by Fastback71
...anyone know if my gas milage is going to go up after my exhaust is installed?
BWahahahahahahaha!

(dries his eyes)hope that wasn't a serious question.
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM

thanks man that was helpful!
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Ben

sorry, i don't mean to be a *****... sometimes i can't help it.

No it won't help your gas mileage in any noticeable way, except you may get worse mileage if it sounds cooler than what you have now because you'll want to rev it up more.

As for the sound, it depends completely on what your engine is... is it a stock 8.5:1 1971 350 w/ the sewing machine cam in it, or has it been built w/ lopy cam?

Engine specs will completely change the way an engine sounds.

The x-pipe is going to quiet down the system a ton, and if your engine is bone stock, it may even be too quiet. I had an x installed a stock 350 chevy setup and it made it sound like a V6. I had the X cut back off a month later because i hated the sound.

I have also heard X-pipes on radical big block powered cars and idling you wouldn't have noticed any different from a straight system. at RPM those cars have a very interesting sound.... My 350 powered car also sounded interesting, but not in a cool way.

The mufflers themselves will be quieter at idle than a turbo style, and louder at WOT.
In my experience magnaflows mufflers have a little bit of a "glass pack" style sound to them. Hard to describe. Not bad.

I'd skip on the x if it were me though.
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM

thats crazy ive heard so many good things about x-pipes.....i figured it could help mileage by helping it flow more efficiently but guess not..
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:29 PM

my car is bone stock. only things i plan on doing is running an adapter and a 600 eddy, headers, exhaust, upgraded ignition to HEI, and MAYBE a small cam. just my clean, daily driven street car. Im sure after i beef up the tranny and rearend itll get even quicker. Is it better in my situation to run just a straight pipe from the collector to the muffler on both sides? not even an H pipe? I'll be running 2 1/2" piping
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:52 PM

I love the Magnaflows. But as stated the X pipe will quiet things and has a different sound. I'm not sure they help mileage but they are known for producing more power
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:13 PM

yeah ive been doin a lot of research and it looks like I'm going either H pipe or no mid pipe at all. still cant decide whats better for me considering my motor is bone stock but will be doing mild upgrades like carb, HEI, and a good intake manifold, possibly a small cam..
Old July 13th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
I'm not sure they help mileage but they are known for producing more power
More power possibly, but even the very best back to back 1/4 runs people have made before & after these- at best maybe gave them 1/10th of a second improvement, its simply not enough to be felt on the street cruising around.

So based on that, it all comes down to what kind of sound do you like. If you like a traditional musclecar sound, then go with straight pipes or straight w/ and H-balance.

I would advise you to find someone that has an x-pipe installed on a similarly setup car (stock small block) & mufflers and go for a ride.

Sound clips of a car idlinig online will not tell the whole story, neither will the sound of one driving by.

Exhaust can be a pretty expensive experiment if it turns out you don't like the sound. Then again, its all subjective, so maybe you will like the x-pipe sound. Obviously someone does since they are selling a ton of those things.

Personally, i like the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust kits. They are mandrel bent straight w/ and H-Crossover. I purchase them w/o the FM mufflers. Had great fit on all the cars i've put them on. And with the muffler of your choice it will still have the classic muclecar sound.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM
delete

I have those mufflers with 2 1/4" pipes. I have headers with an H-pipe. I have a rebuilt '69 400 with a stock cam. The mufflers were a replacement for what was orioginally installed with the headers/duals. I really like them. At idle they have a nice mellow tone and open up nicely when on the gas. At highway speeds I don't notice any resonance like with the previous cheapie mufflers. Performance wise maybe they feel a little better but who knows. Gas mileage wise it sucked before & it still does. price wise I got them new for about $100 ea on EBay.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:13 AM

I also run these mufflers without an "X" or "H" pipe on my 455. Sounds good. My pipes are 2.25" and I don't run headers (X & Z manifolds).

If they're cheap, pick them up. When I bought mine at Midas, the guy who was selling said I'd like them. I said "If I don't, then what?" He said they would be removed and something else could be installed until I found one I liked, as long as I had the time. He was right, I liked them.
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM

I had the x pipe and cut it off after about a month! To me, a ricer sound. Couldn't stand it. The x does gain horsepower if you want to go above 6 grand to make a difference. JMO. Yes my exhaust has gotten quite expensive with all of the trial and errors to make sound right to ME. Everyone is different. Now I am running the flowmaster 2.5" pipe kit with the H and Pypes race pro 18" mufflers and finally I seem to be happy.
2 pipe kits, 6 different pairs of mufflers, resonators (not on now), etc.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:22 PM

good stuff. yeah i can tell a lot of this is trial and error. Picked up the mufflers today so pretty soon she'll have the exhaust done. cant wait