General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Holley EFI - Proper Parts List

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2021, 06:58 PM

Holley EFI - Proper Parts List

Very close to pulling the trigger on doing the EFI setup on my 1970 442. I love the car to death but having the EFI setup would ramp that up a bunch! There are a few kits/versions. Tanks. Fuel filter kits, Etc. What is the proper setup or what is needed?

EFI Sniper Master Kit - This has the fuel pump and other items.
EFI Fuel Tank Kit - Has the pump but a fresh tank/return setup.

Are those the two core items needed? Or skip the "master kit" as if you get the fuel tank kit you get the pump/items. All I need to get is a fuel filter(easily enough).

Thanks for those that tackled this and guidance.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 03:44 AM

The master kit includes a external pump, a filter and lines. No need for the master kit if your installing a new tank with a internal pump.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 03:58 AM

I have installed numerous of these SNIPER systems and prefer the internal pump rather than the external for many reasons. If you are going internal, you can either keep the OEM tank you have and use the Holley OE style pump/sender which is internally regulated (meaning no need for external pressure regulation) or you can go with like a Tanks Inc. EFI tank which has two holes...one for the pump and one for the sender. If you go with the Tanks Inc style EFI tank....you will either have to run a return line to the Throttle body at the engine or use the return style filter assembly that Holley also makes. It really depends on what style tank you have and your preferences.

On my recent 442 build.....I went with the OEM tank and Holley internal OE style pump. It was clean and I only needed the one 3/8" main fuel line to the front of the car. You can also simplify your fuel filter installation with this model too. If you have more questions, I'm glad to answer them and/or provide you pics. It's a great setup and makes the drivability very consistent and painless.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 05:07 AM

I also used the Holley OE fuel pump, and OEM fuel line for the most part. A 4 post battery makes electrical connections easier, might help to draw a schematic of the components, and planned location.
Good Luck!
Old August 3rd, 2021, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
I also used the Holley OE fuel pump, and OEM fuel line for the most part. A 4 post battery makes electrical connections easier, might help to draw a schematic of the components, and planned location.
Good Luck!
I saw that. I'd toss in a proper battery when I did this to make that aspect easier.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by 442Dude
I have installed numerous of these SNIPER systems and prefer the internal pump rather than the external for many reasons. If you are going internal, you can either keep the OEM tank you have and use the Holley OE style pump/sender which is internally regulated (meaning no need for external pressure regulation) or you can go with like a Tanks Inc. EFI tank which has two holes...one for the pump and one for the sender. If you go with the Tanks Inc style EFI tank....you will either have to run a return line to the Throttle body at the engine or use the return style filter assembly that Holley also makes. It really depends on what style tank you have and your preferences.

On my recent 442 build.....I went with the OEM tank and Holley internal OE style pump. It was clean and I only needed the one 3/8" main fuel line to the front of the car. You can also simplify your fuel filter installation with this model too. If you have more questions, I'm glad to answer them and/or provide you pics. It's a great setup and makes the drivability very consistent and painless.
Thank you. I will shoot you a PM.

That was the idea I had in my head. Sniper EFI Basic Kit. Then the new EFI tank, OE style pump and accessories. Sounds like I 'could' get the "OE Style fit to OE Tank" EFI pump setup from Holley and save some money.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 08:21 AM

Great. Glad to help!
Old August 3rd, 2021, 08:23 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I would step up to Aeromotive Stealth 2 tank. It's better than Tanks inc or Holley EFI pump setup, by far. Stock tank modified by Aeromotive.

Old August 3rd, 2021, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
I would step up to Aeromotive Stealth 2 tank. It's better than Tanks inc or Holley EFI pump setup, by far. Stock tank modified by Aeromotive.

When you say 'better' in what aspects? This is a 4th car that I just enjoy taking the kids out for cruises in. I am familiar with the company due to the many race cars I have owned, or currently own, but wondering what benefit I would be getting?
Old August 3rd, 2021, 12:32 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
When you say 'better' in what aspects? This is a 4th car that I just enjoy taking the kids out for cruises in. I am familiar with the company due to the many race cars I have owned, or currently own, but wondering what benefit I would be getting?
This was on my Chevelle. I've had nothing but issues with Tanks Inc EFI tank. First the floatless sending unit was DOA, replaced with the stock like. That one needed to be re-calibrated. During hard cornering or acceleration, when tank was below half, pump would suck in air causing the big block to starve for fuel, buck and cut off. It was so bad that sometime when it was about 1/4 full, taking off from stop would make it buck. About 6 months later Walbro pump died, replaced with another. All in all I had to install and pull that tank 5 times in 6 months. Last one was to replace it with Aeromotive, which I tested on my Cutlass.

Stealth 2 tank has a pump placed in the middle of the tank, surrounded by foam and wrapped in a rubber bladder. Sending unit stays in stock location.
Comes pre assembled and it doesn't cost much more.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 02:13 PM

I wanted to use a Rick’s Tank when buying parts for my Sniper install, but at the time they didn’t have the Restomod tank in stock, IMHO Rick’s tank is the best available, since they use the GM pump, and they now can again supply the correct tank/with GM Camaro pump. The best…
https://rickstanks.com/product-category/tanks/
Old August 3rd, 2021, 02:25 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I wanted to use a Rick’s Tank when buying parts for my Sniper install, but at the time they didn’t have the Restomod tank in stock, IMHO Rick’s tank is the best available, since they use the GM pump, and they now can again supply the correct tank/with GM Camaro pump. The best…
https://rickstanks.com/product-category/tanks/
Yes, Rick's restomod tanks are the best option, but it's no longer an option. The only way to get that now is to get a custom made and that's very pricey, $1800-ish for just the tank.
I bought one of the last Restomod tanks back in late 2019 for my other project, called them up few weeks later when I decided to do a swap on the Cutlass, and they said no longer being made.
I would love to have PWM pump on my Cutlass. For now Stealth 2 is doing the job, around 10k trouble free miles (knock on wood).
Old August 3rd, 2021, 02:47 PM

The Rick’s Tank is available..
Old August 3rd, 2021, 03:12 PM
Beer Connoisseur

The Rick’s Tank is available..
Not restomod tank and not for A body, custom only, I could be wrong though. Do you have a link to the tank? I'd love to get my hands on another one.

In my last conversation with Rick's tanks they said they are not going to make them anymore because they were not selling. They made a handful and it took forever to sell them.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 03:38 PM

Hector says he has restromod tanks “for sale”..today..

Last edited by dc2x4drvr; August 3rd, 2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 03:55 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Hector says he has restromod tanks “for sale”..today..
thanks, I will give them a call.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
This was on my Chevelle. I've had nothing but issues with Tanks Inc EFI tank. First the floatless sending unit was DOA, replaced with the stock like. That one needed to be re-calibrated. During hard cornering or acceleration, when tank was below half, pump would suck in air causing the big block to starve for fuel, buck and cut off. It was so bad that sometime when it was about 1/4 full, taking off from stop would make it buck. About 6 months later Walbro pump died, replaced with another. All in all I had to install and pull that tank 5 times in 6 months. Last one was to replace it with Aeromotive, which I tested on my Cutlass.

Stealth 2 tank has a pump placed in the middle of the tank, surrounded by foam and wrapped in a rubber bladder. Sending unit stays in stock location.
Comes pre assembled and it doesn't cost much more.
Is the Holley EFI Tank a "Tanks Inc" tank?
Old August 3rd, 2021, 05:01 PM

No,
If you have a good tank, drop in the Holley Restomod pump assembly and you’re golden..the Holley EFI pumps are Walbro mfg, they’re used in millions of vehicles.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 05:05 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Is the Holley EFI Tank a "Tanks Inc" tank?
Holley EFI tank is made by Tanks inc.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 06:20 PM
Rodney

I have a Rick's resto-mod tank from the first production run with the late model LS3 Camaro fuel pump module. I had to change the poppet valve inside the pump module to set the output pressure to 58psi. I'm very pleased with the set-up. Here's a few pics.

Rodney

Old August 4th, 2021, 12:46 PM

Run a return line. It is more work, but you are not waiting on fuel when you dump the go pedal to the floor. The in tank pump with fuel regulator/bypass has to 1st up the volume of fuel then push that up the whole line to try to keep up with the demand.
The install with return line, the extra fuel is bypassed at the Throttle body and the extra need fuel volume is already moving past the unit and then directed through it instead of around it to return line. When you hammer the throttle the car moving forward tries to push the fuel in the line back toward the tank, this and the pump having to then push the extra fuel through a 10 foot+ length line will play havick on your air/fuel Ratio.. If you drive you car hard, install a return line.
Old August 4th, 2021, 06:17 PM

Thank you everyone for the help so far!