General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

GM 9985062 Cement

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2009, 12:00 PM

GM 9985062 Cement

What is a good substitute for GM 9985062 Hood Insulation Cement
I tryed locktite spray adhesive, that didnt work too good.
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:10 PM
67 heavy metal

I found there is several uses for molding adhesive not shure if that would work.I don't know how it would handle the engine heat but that stuff seems to stick to almost anything.
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:08 AM

Cements are tricky and safety is important . You need to read the labels carefully to see if it fits the application (even then, it may not tell you anything about what you are using it for). I would pay special attention and care, especially while the cement is curing-not to drive around, until thoroughly dried. Most cements are very flammable while in their curing stage.

I just recently purchased a 3M weather stripping cement that is tacky and holds quickly, it seems like it may work for your needs, but I would be very cautious in researching its flammability potential (in its dried state, as well as the curing stage), especially around the engine compartment.

You may want to consider contacting the company that makes a cement product before using it near the engine.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; August 31st, 2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:39 AM
67 heavy metal

3M weather stripping cement

bingo that is the stuff i was refering to I have used it several times and on different things.I was talking to somone that used garilla glue and said it was junk and told me to use the 3m cement and that stuff is wild.
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:45 AM

Most automotive paint stores carry adhesives for trim and rubber seals. Check them out for the best type to use
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM

GM99855062 Adhesive

Thanks to everyone about my question for adhesives for hood insulation.
I used 3M Super Trim Adhesive 08090 bought at NAPA
Worked great, 4-30 minute working time and is good for high temps
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM
67 heavy metal

I am glad it worked out good to hear.I have run into my share of tight situations and it is great to find somthing that works as well as advice is always welcome.I myself never put insulation or sound dampening material under the hood so I havn't run into that perticular problem.I figure I have from four to six weeks and I will be putting the car away for the cold nasty season.