General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

gas tank sending unit

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Car Whisperer

gas tank sending unit

going to replace the tank in the 67 cutlass 4 dr I am doing with my teenage son. I am told the sending unit has two different sizes. getting under the car is an issue right now...does anyone know for the 330 v8 2brl carb car...is it 3/8 or 5/16 and would it have a return line? any help would be appreciated.
Old July 20th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by SnakeBit
going to replace the tank in the 67 cutlass 4 dr I am doing with my teenage son. I am told the sending unit has two different sizes. getting under the car is an issue right now...does anyone know for the 330 v8 2brl carb car...is it 3/8 or 5/16 and would it have a return line? any help would be appreciated.
Well, if your car has fuel return, the fuel pump will have three lines total (two from the frame rail and one to the carb). If it only has two lines (one in, one out) then you do not have fuel return.

As for the tube diameter, get under the back of the car and measure it to be sure.
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Car Whisperer

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, if your car has fuel return, the fuel pump will have three lines total (two from the frame rail and one to the carb). If it only has two lines (one in, one out) then you do not have fuel return.

As for the tube diameter, get under the back of the car and measure it to be sure.
thanx!!! already did the fuel pump, that was a year or more ago..will check to see. I only recall two lines.

as to measuring..as I said, little hard getting under the car right now. guess that will be the only way to know for sure, unless, measuring the line from the tank to the pump at the pump will tell me.
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

unless, measuring the line from the tank to the pump at the pump will tell me.
They are PROBABLY the same size....

Your time and money, your risk of ordering the wrong part.
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Car Whisperer

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
They are PROBABLY the same size....

Your time and money, your risk of ordering the wrong part.
thanks, you are right...I have learned that from any forum out here.
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

thanx!!! already did the fuel pump, that was a year or more ago..will check to see. I only recall two lines.

as to measuring..as I said, little hard getting under the car right now. guess that will be the only way to know for sure, unless, measuring the line from the tank to the pump at the pump will tell me.
Ok, I know I'm late to the party on this, but if you want to know the fuel line size without going under the car? Check the lines from the fuel pump you did a year ago. They will be the same size as the lines to the tank and the sender.
Old July 20th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Car Whisperer

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ok, I know I'm late to the party on this, but if you want to know the fuel line size without going under the car? Check the lines from the fuel pump you did a year ago. They will be the same size as the lines to the tank and the sender.
Thanx Alan!!! that is what I was thinking/hoping would be true. I just ordered a new tank for it and want to change the sending unit at the same time but wasn't sure what to order. trying to finally get moving on this project again.