General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Day Night Mirror

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2013, 06:46 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Day Night Mirror

I have a map light mirror, but when we restored it we put in a new mirror glass which was not beveled. As a result, when I go to night vision, I get a good clear view of the inside of my top.
I am buying an old beveled mirror and plan on having it re-silvered.

I have never taken a map light mirror off. Is it difficult? Do you have to pull the wire all the way out of the windscreen frame?
I was thinking of trying to take the glass out while the mirror was still in place. Do you think it feasible to use a heat gun to remove my existing mirror glass with the mirror still on the car?

Thanks, Peter
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Peter,
The obvious way to solve this problem is not to drive at night....

Yes you will need some heat to soften the trim around the edge of the mirror. Be really careful of a heat gun though - it might get the material too hot. I'd try using a hair dryer on high heat before a heat gun any day for something like this. Work carefully and slowly.

You're right that the mirror wire runs the length of the windscreen, but it also runs down the left side a pillar to the accessory lighting connector.
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:50 PM

Mirror removal

To physically remove the mirror assembly from the bracket, just take out the screw and gently pull out the wiring connector from the top of the mirror frame. No need to remove any additional wiring

Once removed, you can use a hair dryer or hot water to loosen the glue then carefully pry the mirror from the rubber surround with a flat, unsharp object that won't cut the rubber. You may need to re-apply the heat during the process.
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:54 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Allan: I am sometimes allowed out after dark!

I did not know that was a connector - thanks.

Peter