General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Dark Siders-need some help with 63 Starfire front engine mount

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2020, 04:45 PM

Dark Siders-need some help with 63 Starfire front engine mount

Well got the 63 Starfire up on jack stands and discovered replacing the front engine mount is not that easy. No problem getting at the 2 fasteners loose with the holes in the cross member but the outer bolts are very hard to get to. The harmonic balancer, pulley and cross member are in the way. Granted, I did not raise the engine up at this point because I could not locate 2 good spots to hook the chain, then on to on the cherry picker. Not knowing these early Big Olds cars didn't feel comfortable sliding a 2x6 under the oil pan and jacking up the motor say an inch or so? The shop manual shows GM special tools used back in the day. Also looks like it made it simple-and I don't see where they raised up the motor enough to create any clearance issues- fan shroud, distributor cap, any hoses etc. Anybody been there done this? Thanks.

Old October 20th, 2020, 05:53 PM

At one time I had made a cradle out of angle iron that fit under the pan lip in front and was flat on bottom to jack up the engine with a floor jack. Gotta watch the distributor cap when doing this. This was for a 67 442, don't know if it will work on your car.
Old October 20th, 2020, 10:51 PM
Phantom Phixer

Don't put a jack under the pan . It's easily bent .
The chain plus cherry picker idea is good
You should be able to attach the chain to the two foreward most intake bolts with longer bolts and washers .
You will need to un-bolt the fan shroud , and take the upper radiator hose off one end . Also remove the distributor cap .
You will only need to raise the engine an inch or so for the studs on the bottom of the mount to clear the crossmember .
Good luck !.
Old October 21st, 2020, 06:35 AM

Thanks Charlie, Ill try it again over at my buddies shop...( no more lift at this place we moved into)
Old October 21st, 2020, 02:45 PM

What Charlie said, sometimes the carb can come off and a cradle can be fabricated on the 4 carb bolts if that is easier. Remember you are lifting almost a 1000 lbs (engine and transmission) make allowances....Tedd