General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Carb Components PN ID cues

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2015, 05:23 PM

Carb Components PN ID cues

For a friend,

Here is where to find the part numbers on some typical Quadrajet Carbs.

1) the base. This is a sample 1970 Olds with "7041002" in the very small circle at the left rear corner of the base. Sometimes at the right rear corner. The characters are very small, you may need a loupe to see them well.

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img537/2065/GojLnA.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img661/6103/CbQtgQ.jpg

2) The Main Body. This mid-70's example shows it on the aft surface, just above the base, just left of center. I did not bother to zoom in and record this number, but I have been collecting a database of numbers that I run across, mainly 1968-1975 Olds carbs. This is just to show the LOCATION and what you are looking for to find that casting number.

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img911/5562/BYobb1.jpg

3) the air horn... this is generally underside and requires removal of the lid on the Oldsmobiles I have dealt with. Please stand by for a photo.... it looks just like the other "numbers in a circle" though.

Old April 11th, 2015, 11:32 PM

Great info.
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Rocketeer

That's great to know. I've got a spare Qjet that I've been trying to identify and now I know the number:

The only problem is in decoding it. I tried using this page but I wasn't able to get anywhere because the numbers don't seem to follow the guide.

Can anyone tell me how to decode 17062757?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
spare-carb-numbers.jpg (72.0 KB, 56 views)
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Let me clarify the distinction between the CASTING PART NUMBERS as seen above, and the stamped-in application number one might find on a carb.

The raised teeeensy numbers in a circle is the PART NUMBER of that particular single casting (the casting number), from which any of many different sub assemblies or carbs might be made. It is useful for determining if your rare application carb has the correct parts. If for example your '68 W30 carb STAMPED 7028254 does not have the correct body casting number.... chances are that the part has been restamped and is not as the factory made it.

The carb APPLICATION number, which is not a raised embossed part of the casting, but is a female or concave depression formed by a stamp as placed with hammer or roll stamps.... is located on the left side, aft corner, typically for 1968+ carbs. THAT plus that web page above should lead to a clue what that particular combination of parts was intended for. When in doubt just google a rare application # such as the '68 W30 carb # 7028254 and the word "carburetor". Surely there is a thread here and/or web page that shows where to find the application number for carbs in general...

The APPLICATION number of a carb is specific to pretty much every submodel of chassis, engine, carburetion, cam, etc. A group of CASTING NUMBERS can be made into any of 100's of various application numbers by the proper fitment of all the little parts that make up those differences- jets, needles, power piston spring, external links and arms, venting, Hot Idle Compensator, etc. etc.

Last edited by Octania; April 14th, 2015 at 09:53 AM.