General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2012, 08:45 AM

Camshaft

If I install a new Camshaft and timing chain(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360451232851) do I need to chance my rocker arms and rods? this is the first time I am going to do something like this and just want to make sure everything is right. Plus all this can be done with out taking out the motor right?

Last edited by Doomah; May 29th, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:40 AM

I figured it out my self I will just do both tks
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:56 PM

hey bud, yes you can do it in the car, however it take special tools, if you are changing the springs etc, make sure you replace the oil seals too... I sent you a PM regarding same... those parts are relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things, it makes sense to change them when you are in there, changing the cam at the very least will involve pulling radiator etc ( I have never put one in the car) I have replaced some springs and seals in my gto in the car it involved filling the cylinder with air and using this special spring compressing tool, I have also heard/read about guys using rope? to keep the valve in place but I have never done it that way.

you need to be very careful installing the cam, you do not want to screw up the cam bearings, plenty of lube etc, I think your having this done right? ( as opposed to doing it yourself???) just make sure you get the specs of the cam, meaning if it is installed straight up or needs to be degreed etc, I do not consider this a first timer project difficulty wise
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:21 PM

You might want to think about removing the engine if your going to swap the cam and timing chain.you will need to drop the oil pan and that's not easy to do in a cutlass.

While it's out you can replace the oil pan gasket,front cover and water pump gaskets much easier on an engine stand. I recently swapped cylinder heads,cam,lifters,timing chain,push rods and oil pump and it was sooooo much easier with the engine out of the car.

Your call..