General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Brake booster. Late 70's gm B body ?

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2020 | 12:50 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Brake booster. Late 70's gm B body ?

Replacing the brake booster on my 77 Pontiac. ( Olds powered) . Same as delta 88. Anyone know of a brake booster that you will work in this one's place. Looking to upgrade to one of the aftermarket ones. I know GM interchange is vast so I'm hoping someone who has upgraded this type of booster can chime in on which after market unit will work.
Old April 18th, 2020 | 03:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Replacing the brake booster on my 77 Pontiac. ( Olds powered) . Same as delta 88. Anyone know of a brake booster that you will work in this one's place. Looking to upgrade to one of the aftermarket ones. I know GM interchange is vast so I'm hoping someone who has upgraded this type of booster can chime in on which after market unit will work.
Is there some reason why you don't just use a stock replacement booster? Or is this one of the Powermaster cars?
Old April 18th, 2020 | 03:47 PM

Joe due to covid-19 parts availability is slim online. I can buy one from Napa for 175 locally but for a few more bucks there is many aftermarket options on the shelf ready to ship. Just trying to see which one will work if anyone has done such an upgrade. I'm not against the stock style one but the price of an OEM rebuilt unit from summit vs the same one from Napa is over 50 bucks. I'm willing to spend a little more for something a little nicer in the looks dept for just a few more bucks. This car will be a dual purpose car for my wife. Street strip something she can race.
Old April 18th, 2020 | 04:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Joe due to covid-19 parts availability is slim online. I can buy one from Napa for 175 locally but for a few more bucks there is many aftermarket options on the shelf ready to ship. Just trying to see which one will work if anyone has done such an upgrade. I'm not against the stock style one but the price of an OEM rebuilt unit from summit vs the same one from Napa is over 50 bucks. I'm willing to spend a little more for something a little nicer in the looks dept for just a few more bucks. This car will be a dual purpose car for my wife. Street strip something she can race.
RockAuto claims to have them in stock for prices starting at $68 plus core charge. Any aftermarket booster will require adapting brackets and pushrod and who knows what else in terms of hidden costs.
Old April 18th, 2020 | 04:15 PM

Fair enough. I planned on buying the booster and master together. Advance has it for 150. I try using Napa as we buy parts from them at work.
Old April 19th, 2020 | 01:27 PM

Back to the drawing board. The part is on back order due to covid-19 at all 3 local parts stores.. Crap.... I think I'm gonna just get a universal one. There is a few I seen that bolt right in on other 70's cars. One nice thing is people post up the bolt pattern of the booster.
Old April 19th, 2020 | 01:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

$94 at RockAuto.

Old April 19th, 2020 | 02:43 PM

I will look into it