General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Ashtray / Door spring lube

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2021, 10:32 AM
JC

Ashtray / Door spring lube

Can someone give me an equivalent to GM lube #9985007 used on ashtray and ashtray door springs ? Dont want to just slap any lube on there. Thx.
Old July 19th, 2021, 10:33 AM
JC

And which way is the proper way for those door springs...concave out away or towards the door.
Old July 19th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Running On Empty

Petrolatum.
Old July 19th, 2021, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by JCMC64
And which way is the proper way for those door springs...concave out away or towards the door.
Concave / out. Before you place lube, suggest try without. With lube, and depending upon spring tension / fit, the door may not stay up with lube.
Old July 19th, 2021, 01:37 PM
JC

Good ol Vaseline. 👍

Will try without lube first. Last time around, everything went wrong. Kept ****-eyeing on me. Thx for advice.
Old July 19th, 2021, 01:45 PM
JC

I got 3 doors and all do the same thing, it looks like the door tabs are all to short, wont rest in the damn slots, not wide enough. Wth???
Old July 19th, 2021, 01:48 PM
JC

Jusg figured it out, the rear slot, bottom edge has morphed outward on both sides. Plastic has given in some.

Heat gun?? Mold them back?
Old July 19th, 2021, 01:50 PM
JC

Hard to get good pic of it
Thankfully dash and insert are out of the car.
Old July 21st, 2021, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by JCMC64
Good ol Vaseline. 👍

Will try without lube first. Last time around, everything went wrong. Kept ****-eyeing on me. Thx for advice.
vasoline will melt and ooze out all over the dash first time the interior gets over about 70 degrees.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 04:33 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by matt69olds
vasoline will melt and ooze out all over the dash first time the interior gets over about 70 degrees.
I believe you are incorrect. You can find Vaseline in any food store, pharmacy will retain its semi-solid state @ 70°F and well above 70°F. If it melted at 70°F you'd find many stores & homes with containers full of melted soupy Vaseline. I believe your suggestion/guidance is based upon 70°C - not 70°F?. As such, 70°C = 158°F. And, I might add, there are several varieties of Vaseline & Petrolatum on the market.

There are several (perhaps many) variations of Petrolatum as Petrolatum is more or less a generic term for Petroleum Jelly and often manufacturers are only required to list (via MSDS/SDS) the ingredient in generic terms (yet factual with regards to content). As such, Petrolatum can vary in its composition of short-chained & long-chained (including branched) hydrocarbon chains - the orientation & composition of each can vary and it is this short-chain, long-chain & branched chain orientation which determines the melting point (albeit thickness) of Petrolatum. The greater the number of long-chained and branched hydrocarbons - the higher the melting point - yet, they are all Petrolatum.

Petroleum jelly is a mixture of hydrocarbons, with a melting point which depends on the exact proportions. The melting point is typically between 40 and 70 °C (105 and 160 °F).

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly

Addressing the OP's question regarding GM Part # 9985007 supposedly Sterling Oil & Chemical Co. worked w/ GM to provide the Petrolatum for GM Part # 9985007.

Depending on which Petrolatum (Petroleum Jelly) chosen will depend on the melting point of the Petrolatum. Yet, apparently Sterling Oil & Chemical Co. produces a Petrolatum product for GM Part # 9985007.

ADDITIONAL SOURCES:
Amazon Amazon
https://global.ihs.com/doc_detail.cf...=790231&rid=GS
Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:21 AM
JC

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I believe you are incorrect. You can find Vaseline in any food store, pharmacy will retain its semi-solid state @ 70°F and well above 70°F. If it melted at 70°F you'd find many stores & homes with containers full of melted soupy Vaseline. I believe your suggestion/guidance is based upon 70°C - not 70°F?. As such, 70°C = 158°F. And, I might add, there are several varieties of Vaseline & Petrolatum on the market.
Good info. In my case we are talking about such tiny small insignificant amounts it doesn't matter either way.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 11:03 AM
Running On Empty

If it were me, I would look for a Petrolatum which is closer to a wax - e.g. has a higher melting point than Vaseline. They are available. I have an appointment otherwise I'd help you find a high melting point Petrolatum (which more closely resembles a solid wax compound). None-the-less, I think you know what to look for and you most likely have enough ammunition to perform a decent search on your own.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 11:25 AM

There are several (perhaps many) variations of Petrolatum as Petrolatum is more or less a generic term for Petroleum Jelly and often manufacturers are only required to list (via MSDS/SDS) the ingredient in generic terms (yet factual with regards to content). As such, Petrolatum can vary in its composition of short-chained & long-chained (including branched) hydrocarbon chains - the orientation & composition of each can vary and it is this short-chain, long-chain & branched chain orientation which determines the melting point (albeit thickness) of Petrolatum. The greater the number of long-chained and branched hydrocarbons - the higher the melting point - yet, they are all Petrolatum.

Petroleum jelly is a mixture of hydrocarbons, with a melting point which depends on the exact proportions. The melting point is typically between 40 and 70 °C (105 and 160 °F).

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly

Addressing the OP's question regarding GM Part # 9985007 supposedly Sterling Oil & Chemical Co. worked w/ GM to provide the Petrolatum for GM Part # 9985007.

Depending on which Petrolatum (Petroleum Jelly) chosen will depend on the melting point of the Petrolatum. Yet, apparently Sterling Oil & Chemical Co. produces a Petrolatum product for GM Part # 9985007.

ADDITIONAL SOURCES:
https://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Oil-.../dp/B073X619V8
https://global.ihs.com/doc_detail.cf...=790231&rid=GS
Ok, I said 70 degrees, that was an exaggeration. I build transmissions and use vasoline as an assembly lube/assembly aid (vasoline works great for holding bearings/thrust washers in position during assembly). I guarantee first time you park the car in the sun with the windows up, it will dissolve.

However, the more I think about this, I think vasoline will work fine for what your doing. All you need is for the vasoline to hold the springs in place long enough to assemble the ashtray door. The shape of the spring and the detents in the dash/door hood the lid open.

I revise my statement.

Last edited by matt69olds; July 22nd, 2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 12:24 PM
Running On Empty

Matt - No worries, we're on the same page.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 05:57 PM

Lubriplate 105 is one of the classics.
Old July 24th, 2021, 06:29 PM
JC

I wanted actual lube for ashtray and ashtray door, lol.
ASM calls for the Petrolatum. Assembly lube for ashtray door lube?

I found higher temp industrial Petrolatum on day 1 but it comes in 5 gal buckets.

Old July 24th, 2021, 06:50 PM
Running On Empty

I gave you the Amazon link in Post #10 which is a one quart container. Read the description in the link (which can be found elsewhere, as well). Most likely has a higher melting point.
Old July 26th, 2021, 06:32 AM
JC

I gave you the Amazon link in Post #10 which is a one quart container. Read the description in the link (which can be found elsewhere, as well). Most likely has a higher melting point.
Yessir, I missed that link! Thx for the help.