General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

74 hurst auto alarm

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM

74 hurst auto alarm

Hey guys, my hurst was originally equipped with an auto alarm system. The car still has the keyed cylinder on the driver's side fender. The siren (or horn) is wired to the keyed cylinder on one terminal and the other wire from the cylinder dead ends to half of an in-line fuse. If that wire was connected to a positive battery side, what activated the alarm? Was there an intermediate connection on that wire that came from the door plunger that activates the interior lights when the door opens? I'm curious as to how it was originally wired and how it is activated by an intruder.
Thanks.
32lincoln
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:47 PM

I'm not sure on how it was wired, but any current draw should set it off if it is hooked up and functioning correctly.
From the "Special Instructions for Care and Maintenance of Your Hurst/Olds" pamphlet that came in my glove box when my 74 H/O was new,
Auto Alarm System
TO TEST ALARM: Close all points of entry-hood, door, trunk, etc.-turn on key switch. Alarm is now ready.
Open door, dome or courtesy light going on sounds alarm.
Open trunk, trunk light going on sounds alarm.
Turn on ignition, sounds alarm.
Turn on lights, sounds alarm.
Step on brake pedal (brake lights going on sounds alarm).
Open glove compartment, sounds alarm.*
*The glove compartment generally uses the lowest current drain. If you have optomized sensitivity for dome lights, the glove compartment light may not trigger alarm at all, or may trigger alarm intermittently.
The lamp being used as a trigger for these tests must be allowed ONE MINUTE OF REST (in order to cool) between tests.
Hope this helps you out.
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:47 PM

Thank you Texxas. Question, is there a black box that would be mounted inside the fender where the key switch is located? Is it some sort of voltage regulator? If so, then I would probably only need to hook up the red wire with the in-line fuse to a positive terminal somewhere.
32lincoln