General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

72 Cutlass Convertible Rear Seat Removal

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2013, 01:41 PM

72 Cutlass Convertible Rear Seat Removal

In the process of extracting the interior of the car (72 cutlass convertible), have the front seats out and am looking to remove the rear seat. From what I understand, the bottom has to come out before I can remove two bolts securing the back of the seat. Is the rear seat bottom cushion bolted down? Does it lift up? I haven't been able to find anything in the assembly manual showing how it's secured and don't want to damage anything while getting it out.

Can anyone provide any tips/tricks?

Thanks.
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Push toward the back of the car, midway between the outside and the center hump, on the very bottom of the front edge of the back seat cushion.

Push HARD, so it goes back about an inch, then raise UP about an inch.

Do this on each side, then lift the front of the cushion upward, and pull the back of the cushion out.

- Eric
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You're right that the lower has to come out first.

The lower seat is held by spring pressure against 2 retaining hooks that grap the metal frame of the seat. If the seat hasn't been out ever it will be a bit beastly. But here's how you do it.

Push in firmly (really firmly) about 10 inches from the end of the seat at the bottom of the leading edge of the seat and maintain pressure. The seat should want to move back a half inch or so. When it does, lift it straight up and that side will be released.

Repeat the same process on the other side. Since you already have the front seats out, you should have some room to work in.

note: the CS vert seats are a little narrower than the CS coupe and they may fit just a little snugger.
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:39 PM

Thanks again MDchanic and thanks Allen R. I had wondered if the bottom part was just 'retained' or if it was bolted down with a couple/few fasteners. I know that the seats were reupholstered back in 1987 so they must have been removed at one point. Hopefully it makes it somewhat easier to remove now.
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If the seats were reupholstered? Sometimes the shops will overstuff the seat with foam which makes installation/removal a real PITA.