General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

68 Cutlass S Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2020, 08:38 AM

68 Cutlass S Steering Column

Folks:
I have a 68 with a turbo 400 transmission with the shift being located on the column. During a search for an electrical leak a screw came out of the signal indicator and caused my horn to come on. In resolving this a small bushing that holds the contact for the horn in place went awol. The bushing holds the contact down in the center of the steering wheel so your have a horn. I have looked for this small bushing with no luck. Does any one know of any work arounds for this? Also I would like to change the column to a tilt version. Do and of the other orphan ( Pontiac / Buick ) steering columns work in an Olds?
Old March 27th, 2020, 07:42 AM

not sure what you mean by bushing ,or it being in the center of the wheel, could you post a picture? is it a standard steering wheel and are you keeping it column shift? only a 67 or 68 A body column will work in your 68 . I have a 68 column shift tilt column I am thinking about selling since I can't find the parts to convert it to floor shift.
Old March 27th, 2020, 10:51 AM

Info top of steering colummn / horn 68 S

I have attached a couple of pics that hopefully clear things up. The hole that the horn connector goes into is off to the side of the center shaft. The steering wheel is the original 68 S wheel. The connector had a little bushing that rides above the spring that keep compression on the contact so that your horn works. If you decide to part with the tilt pls let me know as I would be interested. Would 67 - 68 A body steering parts from Pontiacs or Buicks work?

Connector

Center Cover

Contact in hole

Contact in hole 2

Top of Column

Top of column w/ connector

Top of column w/ connector
Old March 27th, 2020, 11:18 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

There are a couple of guys in the classifieds which have yards full of Olds.
Look them up and put a want ad in the classifieds as well.
The contact and spring is available for the Faux wood wheel. Not sure if its the same. Call Fusicks for info. They will know.
Old March 28th, 2020, 06:54 AM

it's not the same ,not even close ,the horn contact for the standard steering wheel is specific to that wheel with wiring attached and is not available aftermarket to my knowledge ,I may have a NOS horn contact for this steering wheel setup.I will see if I can find it. what I don't see in your pics is the turn signal canceling cam sticking out , is that missing? I doubt that Pontiac or Buick parts will interchange unless their steering wheel is a standard 3 spoke with the same style horn buttons. will send PM when I find the horn contact and let you know about the tilt column.
Old March 28th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Thanks for looking into this. The cam may be missing as I more often than not have to manually cancel the turn signal. I am attaching a couple of pics of the car.

Old March 28th, 2020, 10:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

That's the same plastic retainer used on the horn contact for the four spoke wheel. These kits are sold just about everywhere, because they fit Camaros. I think even Dorman sells a version.

Old March 28th, 2020, 11:47 AM

sorry Joe ,it is not the same, I am looking at an NOS horn contact assembly and the retainer is gray and has no tang to hold it in , it's just a press fit with a ridge in the center of the retainer,specific to this application.
Old March 28th, 2020, 11:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MI68442W30
sorry Joe ,it is not the same, I am looking at an NOS horn contact assembly and the retainer is gray and has no tang to hold it in , it's just a press fit with a ridge in the center of the retainer,specific to this application.
OK, that one. Is it the same length as the one in the photo or is it the longer one? I suspect that you will only find that bushing on a used steering wheel. Alternately, you can change the cancel cam to the one with the slot for the retainer in the photo and use that one.
Old March 28th, 2020, 12:45 PM

the retainer appears to be the same length, but is a little larger in diameter, yes , changing the canceling cam and using the other retainer should work fine