General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

68-69 W30/31 Hood Insulation Delete Documentation

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:50 PM

68-69 W30/31 Hood Insulation Delete Documentation

Reposted fron the 442 section where it did not receive any responses:

I know that the 68-69 W-30/W-31's are not supposed to have hood insulation, but does anyone know specifically where this is called out for in any factory documentation? And does anyone know why? Doesn't save any appreciable weight - maybe it was to give the ducts a little extra clearance?
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Why aren't they supposed to have hood insulation? Wouldn't the top of the air cleaner be the height factor to worry about instead of the ducts, which are slightly lower? I thought all Olds had the insulation for 2 reasons
1. Sound
2. Heat protection of the hood paint.

I looked on line and found several 68/69 W30's (restored of course) and they all had hood insulation. I did find one stunning black resto at the Arizona show that didn't, so I'm kind of curious which are right and which are wrong. Were did you get the info that says they don't have hood insulation. I tried looking that up in a few sources, but can't find anything.

Oh, to answer your question about weight? No, the insulation isn't any significant weight - maybe all of 5 lbs.
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Reposted fron the 442 section where it did not receive any responses:

I know that the 68-69 W-30/W-31's are not supposed to have hood insulation, but does anyone know specifically where this is called out for in any factory documentation? And does anyone know why? Doesn't save any appreciable weight - maybe it was to give the ducts a little extra clearance?
I never hear such a thing my '69 31 has insulation
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Well, now I'm really confused.

I finished restoring my 68 H/O back in 1999 for the Olds Nationals here in Dallas. I assembled it per the assy manual - even going to the trouble to NOT install the RH air induction hose clamp to wheel well (W-46). Nowhere in the assy manual did it say anything about deleting the hood insulation, and I installed it.

Sure enough, at the Nationals I got points deducted for having the hood insulation. There were 4 other 68 H/O's there and none of them had the insulation, but all were restored cars. When I asked about it, one of the judges - a OCA H/O advisor - said the Hursts, like the W cars had the insulation deleted at the factory. (obviously I can understand this about the 69 H/O's) This seemed strange to me, since the W45/W46 cars are not considered actual W30's, but another well known H/O advisor said there was documentation about it, so I've been looking ever since for it. Maybe it's unique to strictly the H/O's, but even then I havent found anything to document it.
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:36 PM

I am the third owner of my '69 W31, and it had the insulation when I bought it, it was really tattered, so I removed it, some is still stuck in a couple of spots on it. I was under the impression that the sound deadening material was not used or reduced in the interior of the car.
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Well, now I'm really confused.

I finished restoring my 68 H/O back in 1999 for the Olds Nationals here in Dallas. I assembled it per the assy manual - even going to the trouble to NOT install the RH air induction hose clamp to wheel well (W-46). Nowhere in the assy manual did it say anything about deleting the hood insulation, and I installed it.

Sure enough, at the Nationals I got points deducted for having the hood insulation. There were 4 other 68 H/O's there and none of them had the insulation, but all were restored cars. When I asked about it, one of the judges - a OCA H/O advisor - said the Hursts, like the W cars had the insulation deleted at the factory. (obviously I can understand this about the 69 H/O's) This seemed strange to me, since the W45/W46 cars are not considered actual W30's, but another well known H/O advisor said there was documentation about it, so I've been looking ever since for it. Maybe it's unique to strictly the H/O's, but even then I havent found anything to document it.
'68 & '69 H/O did not have hood insulation However the '68 & '69 30, 32 ,31 did have hood insulation.
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by RALLYE KID
'68 & '69 H/O did not have hood insulation However the '68 & '69 30, 32 ,31 did have hood insulation.
Was it removed at Demmer or was it never installed?
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by starfire
Was it removed at Demmer or was it never installed?
From what I have seen on Broadcast cards/sheets, it was never installed at Olds, see attached example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1969HO_BroadcastSheet.jpg (98.4 KB, 19 views)
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:21 PM

Thanks for your posting this documentation.

What I'm looking for is something that relates to the 68's. Like I said, I can understand why the 69's have the insulation deleted, but the 68's - with the under the bumper OAI system - to delete the insulation is another step in the manufacturing process that usually has some documentation somewhere.