General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

68-69 moldings

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2010, 10:35 AM

68-69 moldings

Im in the midst of restoring my 69 442 conv. Can any one tell me if the peak moldings were identical on the 68s and 69s. I have heard that the fender peaks on the 68 were in two pieces? My conv. is missing all peaks. I just purchased the quarter moldings WOW $$$$! Also are the wheel opening moldings different for front and rear? And I have to buy a new 442 rear bumper, Brothers automotive sells these, has anybody puchased them are the good quality? Thanks
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Beob
Im in the midst of restoring my 69 442 conv. Can any one tell me if the peak moldings were identical on the 68s and 69s. I have heard that the fender peaks on the 68 were in two pieces? My conv. is missing all peaks. I just purchased the quarter moldings WOW $$$$! Also are the wheel opening moldings different for front and rear? And I have to buy a new 442 rear bumper, Brothers automotive sells these, has anybody puchased them are the good quality? Thanks
The front fender mouldings are different. The 68 molding is two pieces, a die cast pot metal front section and a long stainless steel molding that goes from there to the front of the door. On the 1969 cars, this became a single stainless piece per side, presumably because the vendor finally figured out how to form the curve at the front (thus saving parts count and assembly cost).
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:55 AM

Cool Wheel opening

Yes, the wheel opening mouldings are different front and rear, left and right... but the same for both years...
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Hey Joe, Now that I think back to my 68 I do remember there being a small added piece at the front of the fender, but only on one side, the other must have been replaced. It looked very odd, almost as if the molding had been damaged a piece cut out and a new piece put in. I cant believe that Olds allowed this especially when the conv quarter molding was in one piece. Thanks, Rob
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Rob: I purchased a pristine set of rear 1/4 moldings for our '68 Cutlass convertible in 1994 or 1995 when she was repainted. No dints/dings/perfect. $400 for the pair!!!!!! I was shocked, but paid the monies; she dererved it.