General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

65 Jetstar I trim inquiry

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:40 AM

65 Jetstar I trim inquiry

Good afternoon. I recently obtained this car, and am basically just trying to get to what it should be for now, rather than totally restore it. I have looked as much as possible, but am not finding a lot of information. I'm not sure if it is because it is somewhat rare, or totally undesirable, lol! At any rate, mine has stainless wheel opening and thin rocker trim, that I'm not seeing on what few Jetstar I's that I have seen. Any thought's on if this would be original, or perhaps added from an 88 or Starfire. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds1.jpg (80.9 KB, 23 views)
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:52 AM
Trying to remember member

Your body side molding looks totally original.

http://wmachines.shubes.net/JS1.html
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:56 AM

The wheel opening and rocker trim is standard equipment on all '65 Jetstar 1's. The rocker trim is the same part as on '65 Jetstar 88's, but the wheel opening mouldings are unique to the Jetstar 1 as they are all longer than the 88's and Starfire.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 10:16 AM

Thank-you for the input! I'm a little out of my element on these particular cars, and learning a little about them is as enjoyable as tinkering with it. One more question, and I'll have enough to keep me busy for a while. I'm wanting to "lose" those wheels. Would a 14" - 5 on 5 tab wheel/poverty cap be original in type, or a specific cap? The tab wheels seem elusive in a 5 on 5, but I like the look.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:09 PM

Nice looking Jetstar 1... Your not that far from me, I'm 30 miles west of Cincinnati in Indiana
Old August 23rd, 2014, 05:10 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wmachine
Your body side molding looks totally original.

http://wmachines.shubes.net/JS1.html

Wow, a Jetstar I with a wide ratio 4spd.......NICE!
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by R-body_mopar
Wow, a Jetstar I with a wide ratio 4spd.......NICE!

Yeah, that car is super sharp, and a great inspiration. I think I'm only about 5 or 6 years, and 50 to 60 grand away from that! That four speed would be great. Something about a manual trans that really makes you feel like you are "driving" a car.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:37 AM
"me somebody" site member

Car looks sharp. As for the wheels, 14 inchers are correct but 15 inch wheels fill up the wheel wells and look so much better in my opinion.

Here's a 65 J88 with period-correct poverty caps; not sure I like the look but to each their own:

http://www.2040cars.com/Oldsmobile/E...serve--508730/
Old August 23rd, 2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Car looks sharp. As for the wheels, 14 inchers are correct but 15 inch wheels fill up the wheel wells and look so much better in my opinion.

Here's a 65 J88 with period-correct poverty caps; not sure I like the look but to each their own:

http://www.2040cars.com/Oldsmobile/E...serve--508730/

Thanks for the pic. I think that is the look I'm going to go for. It could be the "Kentucky" in my background, but I'm thinking a thin white wall rather than the white letters. A 15" wheel, with a tall tire, and the thin stripe. I know someone is probably saying "Yikes!" right now, lol! Usually I just slap ralleys on them and be done with it, but this is my first venture outside of Chevy for a while, and it's requiring more imagination than usual.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 10:50 AM
"me somebody" site member

Well, if you can find a set, you can run some 15 inch Olds police rims, RPO code Y75, circa 67-68 that use early Toronado center caps and were are sorta Olds' answer to Chevy Ralleys (they could even be had with trim rims). Only problem is, I have not seen any for sale in years. They are unusual in that the center portion is welded to the outer rim all 360 degrees with no "vents".

ON EDIT: saw your other thread in which you said the car has disc brakes. The rims I have mentioned are designed to clear factory disc brakes, though I am not 100% sure they would clear the aftermarket setup on your car. Probably?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
torocenters.jpg (94.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; August 23rd, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:55 AM

Hmmnn....I really like the look of the Toro caps. Looking at the picture of the wheel straight on, I'm thinking a white stripe may not look as good as I thought. I'm recovering from a minor back procedure, so I'm sure intense boredom is driving my thought on this much more than normal, lol! At any rate, it's a good time to gather up information and parts for when I'm back to full steam in a few more days. I appreciate the input.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jetstarjim
Thank-you for the input! I'm a little out of my element on these particular cars, and learning a little about them is as enjoyable as tinkering with it. One more question, and I'll have enough to keep me busy for a while. I'm wanting to "lose" those wheels. Would a 14" - 5 on 5 tab wheel/poverty cap be original in type, or a specific cap? The tab wheels seem elusive in a 5 on 5, but I like the look.
The JS1 came standard with 14" steel wheels and P01 wheelcovers. There was the P28 15" wheel and tire option. There is no mention of what cover/cap would be on the 15" wheel. Since none is mentioned in the detail of the option, the *implication* is that they come with a full wheel cover, because "Wheel discs" are standard on a JS1. So far, I have found no factory info on wheel covers/hub caps for 15" wheels for 1965.

The P28 option says "for trailer towing only". So I guess you'd have to sneak around with them if you aren't pulling a trailer.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jetstarjim
-Jim
"So, run that by me again. A Jetstar 1 is a B-body with A-body what?"
A Jetstar 1 is a B-body with A-body........quickness!
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:31 PM

A 1965 Jetstar 1 is a B Body. No A body stuff as far as I know of.
Old August 24th, 2014, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by 65B01Delta
A 1965 Jetstar 1 is a B Body. No A body stuff as far as I know of.

That's just me, poking fun at myself, as everyone tries to help me understand the difference between a Jetstar88, Jetstar 1, and a Starfire or Cutlass, in regards to brakes and drivetrain and whatnot. In hindsight, I probably should not have chose "jetstarjim" as a handle. It implies I would be very knowledgeable on the Jetstar1, and I think I have clearly proven I know nothing, lol! If you ever need any help on a Packard Carribean though, I'm the guy.