General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1969 specs

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2015, 02:44 PM

1969 specs

Hi everybody, how's everybody doing in your neck of the woods? I hope good. Just got some questions and I know you guys can help or at least point me in the right direction. I been reading online about how the 1969 350 rocket had like 310 to 325 hp and 360 to 390 in torque, so the question of the day is how do I find the specs to build my 350 to do that because I don't really have all the know how to build from scratch i.e. as in what cam to use and what pistons etc.. So any thought would be awesome and thanks for taking the time to read my rants and ramblings and of course answering my questions.
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by firsttimeoldsowner
Hi everybody, how's everybody doing in your neck of the woods? I hope good. Just got some questions and I know you guys can help or at least point me in the right direction. I been reading online about how the 1969 350 rocket had like 310 to 325 hp and 360 to 390 in torque, so the question of the day is how do I find the specs to build my 350 to do that because I don't really have all the know how to build from scratch i.e. as in what cam to use and what pistons etc.. So any thought would be awesome and thanks for taking the time to read my rants and ramblings and of course answering my questions.
Get a copy of the 1969 Chassis Service Manual, which has all the engine specs (along with everything else you'll need to work in this car). Be aware that the 310HP version was the normal 4bbl 350 motor. The 325HP version was the W-31. Differences between the two were CR (flattop pistons vs. a small dish), valve sizes (2.000/1.625 vs 1.875/1.562), cam profile (308/308 vs 250/264), and carb jetting.
Old June 5th, 2015, 11:38 PM

Awesome thanks Joe!!!
Old June 11th, 2015, 12:00 PM

OK Joe thanks again I got my manual coming in the mail I found a guy on eBay selling a cam kit with springs and timing chain set he's stating its a w-31 cam now you know I'm trying to build me a w-31 I have the #7 heads and I got a place to order thinner head gaskets now should I have the heads ported and polished or should I use the money somewhere else and just get the valve job and bigger valves put in? I'm just trying to get all the info I can and get a battle plan down to achieve my goals without having to do more then once and another thing its gonna be a daily driver when done, I apologize for all the questions my Dad was my reference guide but he passed way recently so I'm at a lost for tech data and thanks again for all the help to everyone that takes the time to answer my questions. And also on a another note would I have to get a bigger harmonic balance for this motor and I kinda stop talking to the other guy because I felt he was leading me the wrong way. And thanks again to everyone taking th etime on all my question I feel sometimes I'm repeating myself and if I am I apologize lol.

Last edited by firsttimeoldsowner; June 12th, 2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:06 PM

Wow, there's a lotta info in there and some items that should be addressed.

Originally Posted by firsttimeoldsowner
OK Joe thanks again I got my manual coming in the mail I found a guy on eBay selling a cam kit with springs and timing chain set he's stating its a w-31 cam now you know I'm trying to build me a w-31 I have the #7 heads and I got a place to order thinner head gaskets now should I have the heads ported and polished or should I use the money somewhere else and just get the valve job and bigger valves put in? I'm just trying to get all the info I can and get a battle plan down to achieve my goals without having to do more then once and another thing its gonna be a daily driver when done, I apologize for all the questions my Dad was my reference guide but he passed way recently so I'm at a lost for tech data and thanks again for all the help to everyone that takes the time to answer my questions. And also on a another note would I have to get a bigger harmonic balance for this motor and I kinda stop talking to the other guy because I felt he was leading me the wrong way. And thanks again to everyone taking th etime on all my question I feel sometimes I'm repeating myself and if I am I apologize lol.

It's good that you are getting info before starting, but you should say what your goals are.

I interpret some of the above to mean you want a daily driver W-31. While that is possible, there may be better builds to suit your intended application.
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
I interpret some of the above to mean you want a daily driver W-31. While that is possible, there may be better builds to suit your intended application.
I have to agree. Camshaft technology has come a long way since 1970. Also keep in mind that the W-31 package was optimized for the drag strip. That may or may not be what you want in a daily driver.
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:08 PM

True I dont want to go to that extreme I just want good hp with high torque I was just going with the w-31 specs because it gave all the info I'm lacking as in what cam and valve combo and what pistons to go with because along thses line I'm very ignorant on what to use and what would be a good for a daily driver and going to roller cams and rockers for one thing money is a issue so i wanna go as cheep as possible but try to do right at the same time I;m looking for 300 to 325 hp with as much low end torque as possible