General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1968 442 wing and window HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2014, 07:18 PM

1968 442 wing and window HELP!!

Hey Oldsmobile experts
Ok I have a 1968 442, the previous owner removed all the windows and parts inside the door so now I just have a big pile of windows and door parts, Is there a book or a place that shows the door assembly? I have a assembly manual, but it seems to only show the side mirror installation, Any help would be appreciated, I will try google, but I would prefer a shop manual or a exploded diagram would really help, I need it for all the windows front and back and the wonderful wing window.
Thanks in advance.
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:12 AM

The 68 Fisher Body Manual has it

Go to www.wildaboutcars.com and register for free. It's takes a little hunting to find the manual but it's there.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Runner

I was actually just digging around for some of the documents for my 68. Here are 68 assembly manuals.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Joffroi
I was actually just digging around for some of the documents for my 68. Here are 68 assembly manuals.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

And here are the Fisher Body Manuals (You have to log in)

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9910381846034

Things are slow at work today. Here's the Cliff Notes version:

Last edited by allyolds68; April 10th, 2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:47 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Nice job Mike. Mr Joe if you can find another car to look at that is worth its weight in gold even purchasing a whole door. You could always resell it when done. Get some members to snap some decent photos too. There are several fasteners distinct to the 68 door assembly which you need or you will struggle. Most are available aftermarket. One of the vendors may even offer fastener a kit? Check Fusick. Once you figure out the correct fasteners and their correct locations dry fit everything loosely. Close the door to get the wing adjustment close. Then install the main glass so it rides in the vent window channel (clean & lube the channel and rollers with white grease). Then shut the door again and fit both the vent and main window as an assembly to the roof rail. Then install the quarter glass and make it play nice with the roof and door glass. You will want the seats removed to to this. Then you have to fine tune all the glass which means going back n forth between each assembly to get it right. I recommend installing all new rubber seals before the glass goes in. When your done and fairly sure its as close as it will get shut the door with all the glass rolled up. Then operate the door and quarter glass to see how easy it goes up n down. Apply a high quality silicone weather strip preserver/dressing from an auto detailer supply to aid in this because the new rubber can be sticky. I adjust it tight at first then let it sit with everything closed for a week or longer to set the seals. Then readjust as needed. The final test is to close all windows and turn on the heater on med high. Then go around both sides with soapy water solution in a spray bottle to see if there is any big leaks then readjust, its gona leak a little so dont chase your tail too hard.
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
There are several fasteners distinct to the 68 door assembly which you need or you will struggle. Most are available aftermarket. One of the vendors may even offer fastener a kit? Check Fusick.

I've probably got 6 each of every fastener, vent crank assembly, regulator assembly, etc. used for 68 doors (& 1/4 Windows). I think I've got at least three spare sets of glass too.

Last edited by allyolds68; April 10th, 2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:15 PM

wow, I just got ed-u-macated

To all who replied,
Thanks for all the help, it sounds like you guys have worked on a few 1968 doors, I am amazed the service manuals are all online now, it will really help, my pile of parts are making more sense now. I will let you know if I need any hardware or parts, thanks again.