General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass ignition key mechanism

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2016, 11:59 AM

1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass ignition key mechanism

The ignition goes in my dash, the lock ring does not want to seem to bite onto the threads enough to tighten. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions, thanks,
Old September 18th, 2016, 02:20 PM

Will it thread down tight without putting it through the dash bezel? If the threads are worn try wrapping it with a bunch of Teflon tape, sometimes that will help it snug up tight. I've used a few strands of speaker wire filament around the offending threads to get it tight when there isn't a replacement available too. Neither method is the "right" way to fix it.
Old September 18th, 2016, 07:22 PM

Thanks for your reply, it could be that the lock ring is f'd so I might need to get a new (different one).

Cheers,
Old September 18th, 2016, 07:50 PM

If i remember correctly, you need to take the lock cylinder out of the housing, install the housing from behind the dash, screw on the bezel then install the lock cylinder. The bezel will not fit over the face of the lock cylinder. IF i am remembering correctly. I hope you have a key, as you need it to get the lock cylinder out. If not a good locksmith can make one, or if its the original cylinder you can get the code off one of your door locks, take one out it has a code on it, assuming their original. Joe Padavano has a key machine. He will make one for you.

Last edited by steverw; September 18th, 2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old September 18th, 2016, 09:45 PM

That is correct the lock cylinder must be removed first. To do that insert the key and turn it to the accessory position. Then take a straightened out paper clip and put it in the hole on the lock cylinder pushing a little to push the button in, and turn the key a little more to the left and pull it out. Now insert the ignition switch into the dash and put the retainer ring on it and tighten it. Now insert he lock cylinder back into the ignition switch and plug it in and you are done.

There is a trick with a paper clip to unplug these as well from the back as the harness has plastic tabs that make it hard to unplug. Use a paper clip that is not straightened out and insert it into the area of the plastic tabs to release them so you can unplug the wiring harness.

That is actually in the Chassis service manual. A must for anyone who owns these cars. An assembly manual is also a great help.

Hope this helps
Larry
Old September 19th, 2016, 04:59 AM
Getting There

What Larry Said
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:01 AM

Thank you so much gentlemen, upon looking at the pic I took, I notice that the threads on the cylinder are pooched. Maybe I'll use some teflon tape, or I don't know if there's thread tape. Thanks again, I printed part of this thread and I'm confident I will be able to fix this problem now.

Cheers,
Old September 9th, 2021, 04:00 AM

I just ran into this problem with my 67 Cutlass. The keyswitch fell through the dash.
Solutiona:
I was going to get a new nut machined from stainless but tried tin foil, and it worked.
I wrapped the threads with 2 layers of Seran Wrap, then the nut fits very tight in the dash.
May help someone in the future.

Frank