General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1962 Starfire Vacuum Line Routing

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2023, 09:53 AM

I bought a 1962 Starfire recently and the vacuum lines are wrong. Anyone have a routing diagram?
Old July 30th, 2023, 11:22 AM
Oldsdruid

Engine, heater, power brakes or what?
Old July 30th, 2023, 03:40 PM

All the above. The fuel pump was replaced with an electric so there is no vacuum source there. The PCV line was teed to the power brake booster line - that's fixed. I still have three smaller (3/16" to 1/4" ID hoses not connected under hood and at least one under dash. All the heater and AC vacuum lines under dash have been cut, spliced, disconnected. I was able to repair most of those. Under hood is my main concern. The power brakes and accessory lines and tanks are routed to the port on rear of carburetor. The PCV line is currently open and I don't see a place to put it.
Old July 30th, 2023, 07:44 PM
Oldsdruid

I had hoped I'd find some of the drawings in my 1965 Chassis Parts Manual but haven't had much luck.

Do you have the 1961 Oldsmobile factory Chassis Service Manual and the 1962 CSM Supplement? The info you need is in those but my copies are packed up. If you don't have them, get original printed copies; the reprints and CD-ROM copies are known for losing critical detail. These are what the Oldsmobile dealership line mechanics used to service the cars.

1961:

1962 supplement:

You may have to find some appropriately sized vacuum tees to get vacuum for the HVAC system since you no longer have the fuel pump vacuum source. Is the small vacuum tank behind the engine still there? It's different from the one for the power brakes that's between the firewall and left front fenderwell.

On PCV- does the car have factory style California PCV or is it a later add-on? Everywhere except California was still using the road draft tube in 1962. True positive crankcase ventilation became standard in 1963.

Good luck.

Last edited by rocketraider; July 30th, 2023 at 07:49 PM.
Old July 31st, 2023, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I had hoped I'd find some of the drawings in my 1965 Chassis Parts Manual but haven't had much luck.

Do you have the 1961 Oldsmobile factory Chassis Service Manual and the 1962 CSM Supplement? The info you need is in those but my copies are packed up. If you don't have them, get original printed copies; the reprints and CD-ROM copies are known for losing critical detail. These are what the Oldsmobile dealership line mechanics used to service the cars.

1961:

1962 supplement:

I do have the manuals and I 've read them cover to cover. They show under dash routings for heater and air conditioner, but no under hood diagrams. Both reservoirs are in place and plumbed to engine vacuum, but not connected to anything else I can see. It has the PCV system except for the check valve at back of carburetor. The PCV is currently disconnected.

You may have to find some appropriately sized vacuum tees to get vacuum for the HVAC system since you no longer have the fuel pump vacuum source. Is the small vacuum tank behind the engine still there? It's different from the one for the power brakes that's between the firewall and left front fenderwell.

On PCV- does the car have factory style California PCV or is it a later add-on? Everywhere except California was still using the road draft tube in 1962. True positive crankcase ventilation became standard in 1963.

Good luck.