General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1940 Oldsmobile Woody Wagon

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM

1940 Oldsmobile Woody Wagon

I have just purchased a 1940 Woody wagon series 60 but the vacuum wipers are not functioning. Does any out there know how the vacuum system is set up?
According to the manual the wipers work from two sources, the fuel pump and the exhaust manifold but there are no illustrations or info as to the configuration.
I have hooked up to just the fuel pump, replaced the wiper motor and the wipers work very slowly, just need to know how and where you hook up the exhaust line.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated!
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Welcome to Classicolds, and CONGRATULATIONS! on your recent purchase of an ultra-cool '40 Olds woody! That is truly a very cool Olds that folks do not see just every day. Bear in mind that the vacuum operated wipers are marginal at best and unless the vacuum source is optimal, or rpm's are at cruise level, they will not operate like your late model Mercedes. Mine don't work like a Swiss time piece, even at power but they do work and that is all that I require from 70 year technology! I will be happy to PM you Bob Petters email to give a more seasoned insight to these cars. Again congratulations on the car and your impeccable taste in automobiles! If convenient please share some photos.

Last edited by Funkwagon455; February 18th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:47 PM

one of the big problems with the vacuum wipers is when they sit for a long time the flapper inside hardens and drags. most of them use a leather seal for the flapper and when it dries out it drags them down. there are places that rebuild them or if you can find a kit they are pretty simple. when the flap is pulled all the way one way a valve slides over and the vacuum pulls it back the other way where it slides the valve back and so on.
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:33 AM

Welcome to CO

What a rare and cool find. Please post some pictures