General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

For Over $50K You'd Think It Would Have To Be Perfect

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2015, 04:46 AM

For Over $50K You'd Think It Would Have To Be Perfect

I don't buy the mileage, it's been cloned into a W30 with a couple emblems, and who the hell puts a rubber fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb. This was posted on FB. Lot's of other incorrect things pointed out. I'm sure Allan will chime in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-4...US_Cars_Trucks
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:19 AM

It's listed for sale at other places at $79,000. In my opinion, adding the W-30 striping during the repaint was a screwup on a low mileage original car. Makes me question how many of the other quality options were added later as well.

A buyer is no longer buying an original survivor car, and at best, a really nice 350 442 convertible. $35K is more realistic.

Terry
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:39 AM

So terry obviously you being knowledgeable in 72s.
Do you think the engine compartment retains most of its original equipment un restored?
Nice Looking car
Dean
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:49 AM

I was just about to post about the things like POA, exp valve, OP sender all having been replaced, and obviously a lot of finishes like the MC, booster have been redone. I also am pretty sure (picture resolution is bad) the alternator pictured is an internally regulated type, and all 72's should be externally regulated - let alone the notch bumper being "ordered" on a 72 350 car. I'm with Terry - probably an excellent car, but it ain't a original survivor type car with just a repaint.
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:56 AM
Shoveling Snow

Take a look at the underside. This is a frame off restoration plus being bastardized with the side stripe and emblems. I say reset speedo.
Old February 4th, 2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
I was just about to post about the things like POA, exp valve, OP sender all having been replaced, and obviously a lot of finishes like the MC, booster have been redone. I also am pretty sure (picture resolution is bad) the alternator pictured is an internally regulated type, and all 72's should be externally regulated - let alone the notch bumper being "ordered" on a 72 350 car. I'm with Terry - probably an excellent car, but it ain't a original survivor type car with just a repaint.
Right mc would have surface rust at least
Pics are not the best far as engine compartment
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
Take a look at the underside. This is a frame off restoration plus being bastardized with the side stripe and emblems. I say reset speedo.
ah yes, yellow painted floor pans. it's not a mopar. I'm guessing 101K miles
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:25 AM

A lot of people run rubber lines after the fuel pump. Plastic filter is not so much of a good idea. That metal line is hard to work with, and if your original is cut, none of the repros work. I tried my damnedest to put an Ecklers pump to carb line on a bone stock 71 Corvette in December and it would not go. The part was 85% correct, but was bent in the wrong places, and this is Ecklers, the king of Corvette resto.

I agree, the metal line is better, but a rubber line isn't just going to magically split wide open without giving some sort of warning ahead of time. If one inspects their engine before beginning a trip and carries a fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment (both of which we all should be doing), the risk is minimal.

If I could find an original fuel line in good shape or NOS for this Corvette, I'd do it.
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:02 AM

With the survivor cars being the big craze of late, why on a 1,042 mile car would you do a frame off would be my question.
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Shoveling Snow

I would bet this is a swamp car. I would like to see before pics. The door vin decal is repo by the looks of it and the screws were not painted above it.
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
The 72 W-30 I had was an original car with external regulated alternator. But yes, lots of things wrong in the A/C area. The heater hoses are not ran correct. From the placement of the clamps that hold the hoses up, obviously the entire A/C box was likely reworked.
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
A lot of people run rubber lines after the fuel pump. Plastic filter is not so much of a good idea. That metal line is hard to work with, and if your original is cut, none of the repros work. I tried my damnedest to put an Ecklers pump to carb line on a bone stock 71 Corvette in December and it would not go. The part was 85% correct, but was bent in the wrong places, and this is Ecklers, the king of Corvette resto.

I agree, the metal line is better, but a rubber line isn't just going to magically split wide open without giving some sort of warning ahead of time. If one inspects their engine before beginning a trip and carries a fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment (both of which we all should be doing), the risk is minimal.

If I could find an original fuel line in good shape or NOS for this Corvette, I'd do it.

You make a template out of tie wire and copy it . I cut, bent,and flared a steel line for mine in an hour using the newer malleable steel lines. It fit the first time

Old February 4th, 2015, 09:39 AM

Someone made the factory original lines
therefore, someone can make another that fits

HOWEVER, it requires dedication
test fitting on the real thing [or at least a jig]
and a willingness to correct and tweak until you get it right.

One can make a line that is "close" and looks right if you just lay it side by side with an original, but in fact has bad angles and routing and will not fit.

This was my experience with a large vendor that rhymes with bubes.
I even offered to build them a jig to test fit first piece samples off a run and never heard back. Not dedicated, don't care. I can't care more than they do.
Old February 4th, 2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
You make a template out of tie wire and copy it . I cut, bent,and flared a steel line for mine in an hour using the newer malleable steel lines. It fit the first time

Didn't have the time or the tools. Might have had the skill; I've made brake lines, but even that is debatable. I'd figure most people don't know how to do it, which is why you see rubber lines.
Old February 4th, 2015, 12:02 PM

I may be mistaken, but doesn't the K in the 5th digit of the VIN translate to 350 with single exhaust?
Old February 4th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Banned

Dual exhaust came standard with the 455 but you had to order N10 dual exhaust with the L34 350. 442 was just an Appearance and Handling option.

It is still a 101,000 mile car.
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:37 PM

Air cleaner base is regular std. 4 Bbl and not the one used on W25 cars. The inlet neck is bigger just before mating to the base. This one is not!
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by rr69ho
With the survivor cars being the big craze of late, why on a 1,042 mile car would you do a frame off would be my question.
on a car "that sat in a climate controlled building for years"
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:51 PM

Yea, I don't buy it. Well done but I would never believe the mileage on this one. Should have left it original to sell that.
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:12 PM

The odometer has rolled over, first two numbers never line up again.
Old February 5th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Lansing built

Doesn't the drive shaft supposed to have stripes painted on it?

Pat
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:03 AM

The floors on my Rallye - - paint code are painted . The car is original paint . I don't know if it because it is a non standard paint or ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SD531868.jpg (70.8 KB, 68 views)
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:33 AM

yes those cars that ordered the $100 dollar paint ( std. on Rallye 350 s) option in 70' were painted "in overkill". You got your monies worth of paint for sure! I never saw one that did not get really good coverage. Why? I have no idea. Olds really made a lot of money on that option. I mean the car needed to be painted anyways right? Generally the "overkill painting" was usually in the trunk and inside the body areas. My F85 W31 Rallye Red had almost all the sheet metal completely cover in paint inside of the body, mainly the floor, doors, 1/4 s, and package shelf.

The picture of the W45 car above is a good example!
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:37 AM

I'm not buying any part of this story. Nothing makes any sense. Nothing looks right. At this point I would not even trust that it is a real 442.
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:47 AM

On a 1,000 mile car, why would you have to replace the woodgrain around the guages and for $50,000 shouldn't it be glued flush to the plastic surround? It doesn't pass the smell test.
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by davebw31
yes those cars that ordered the $100 dollar paint ( std. on Rallye 350 s) option in 70' were painted "in overkill". You got your monies worth of paint for sure! I never saw one that did not get really good coverage. Why? I have no idea. Olds really made a lot of money on that option. I mean the car needed to be painted anyways right? Generally the "overkill painting" was usually in the trunk and inside the body areas. My F85 W31 Rallye Red had almost all the sheet metal completely cover in paint inside of the body, mainly the floor, doors, 1/4 s, and package shelf.

The picture of the W45 car above is a good example!

Thanks . The Floors on inside are also painted I have a couple of the trunk not great was showing another member who was helping me with a NOS type trunk mat.
Attached Images
010.jpg (50.9 KB, 63 views)
012.jpg (67.5 KB, 62 views)
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:43 PM

Wouldn't a real "W-30" have a big block.
I know the 442's had the option of small or big.

Gene
Old February 8th, 2015, 01:18 AM
Rocket Renegade!

X-code 455 (as denoted in the VIN) in 1972. But the car isn't advertised as a W-30, they just added the stripes for some reason.
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:35 PM

Another thing that doesn't make sense is the claim that the car was factory ordered from Hames Oldsmobile in Palos Hills, IL, in 1972. Hames Olds was in Chicago in 1972; they hadn't yet moved to their final Palos Hills location. My parents bought a new '72 Olds Delta 88 from Hames Olds in Chicago. They only operated one facility, and I am familiar with this dealer as it was local to me (Palos Hills location).

Last edited by Ctls442; February 8th, 2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Phantom Phixer

$67,000 and almost three days left.
P.T. Barnum was right !
Old February 8th, 2015, 08:46 PM

This is kind of interesting this looks like a very low mileage car that was in the back at the Hames Dealership in Palos Hills. There was a collection of Oldsmobiles all the way in the back of the dealership garage back by where the NAPA warehouse is now. In 78 or 79 I was looking at a 68 GTO on the used car lot that some guy traded in on a new 442, the sales guy I was talking with brought me in the back where there was a collection of Oldsmobiles dating to probably the 40's. I think his name was Bob and he was related to the family. He showed me a yellow 442 that looked just like this car. I actually saw the car again in about 83 when the same guy was driving it and stopped at the bar I was working in for a beer, he remembered me and we went outside and looked at the car I don't remember the mileage but it was very low. I wonder if this is that car.
Old February 8th, 2015, 09:07 PM

Bob Hames (R.I.P.) was a great guy, and an Olds enthusiast. Along with Ken, they always took care of Olds guys at the parts counter. In 1988, NOS '71-'72 Cutlass fenders were $125 each, and NOS convertible quarters were $256 per side. Hames Olds was a family run operation.
Old July 18th, 2017, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ctls442
Another thing that doesn't make sense is the claim that the car was factory ordered from Hames Oldsmobile in Palos Hills, IL, in 1972. Hames Olds was in Chicago in 1972; they hadn't yet moved to their final Palos Hills location. My parents bought a new '72 Olds Delta 88 from Hames Olds in Chicago. They only operated one facility, and I am familiar with this dealer as it was local to me (Palos Hills location).

actually, the palos location was the final location. I believe there were three other locations before the palos location. Hames old was established in 1953 , when my dad, bob hames, was born. I do remember hearing about Indiana, and Chicago stores.
Hames closed its doors on April 29, 2001
Old July 19th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Maintained

this cars been flipped a couple times since this post was active two years ago.
one post calls it "tribute" car, but still very low miles.

http://www.flemingsultimategarage.co...mobile-cutlass

http://www.stevearrendale.com/blog/c...69-com#mainpic