General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

**Custom 17 inch SS2 Olds Rally's - Gary Willard's Design***

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2014, 01:50 PM

Question **Custom 17 inch SS2 Olds Rally's - Gary Willard's Design***

Hi C/O,

I have been doing quite a bit of research trying to locate a company that manufactures a 17 inch SS2 olds rally and ran across several articles online about a gentleman by the name of gary willard who designed and produced custom 17 inch ss2 olds rallys. Apparently he almost made a deal with bonspeed who in turn was going to take his design and make major production in various diameters of the SS2 rally. Apparently Bonspeed never followed through with production.

Does anyone out there know any more about this Gary Willard gentleman. I found a pic of banditdaves hurst olds that had a set of custom 17 inch SS2 rally's produced by Gary Willard and I was very impressed by his work and design. They are absolutely gorgeous!!

The 2 articles with photo's of the 17 inch SS2 Olds Rallys can be found at lateral-g.net or Gbodyforum.com OR you can use the links below

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?...0#.U_EfRDnFW2w

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/show...t=36180&page=2

Any help, input or advice on this matter is encouraged and appreciated, I am sure that I am not the only Olds enthusiast looking for more answers to this topic.

Thanks for your help & support!

Mike G from Disco Bay, CA

Last edited by 75hurstoldsW-30; August 17th, 2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old August 17th, 2014, 03:08 PM

I think Bonspeed Wheels has the design and can build you a set, Gary couldn't get the project going on his own..
Old August 17th, 2014, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
I think Bonspeed Wheels has the design and can build you a set, Gary couldn't get the project going on his own..
Thanks so much for the heads up!!!

I called bonspeed and left a message, hopefully they will help me out.

I made the mistake of installing a really nice set of baer rotors and calipers on my front end without taking clearances into consideration now my 15 inch rallys won't fit because they hit the caliper.

I really don't want to run another rim other than a olds SS2 OR SS3 Rally so I believe this is my only out without having to change my new rotors and calipers on front end.

Thanks again and if anyone else has any news or info on this matter please continue to post! Once I speak with bonspeed tomorrow I will update my post accordingly.

Much love to C/O!

Mike G from Disco Bay
Old August 17th, 2014, 09:13 PM

I know I'm going to end up putting some aftermarket wheels on mine some day, so I'm glad I saw this. Problem with most of these aftermarket companies are none of the wheels are appealing to me, and some are just WAY overpriced! I'd much rather put a modified set of aftermarket prototype SS2s or SS3s. These are awesome! Thanks!
Old August 18th, 2014, 05:21 AM

Well these wheels would be a one off set and quality forged custom wheels are made on a CNC one at a time, then welded into hoops. Expensive process.
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:01 PM

UPDATE:

Spoke to Bonspeed today 8/18/14 and they did confirm that the SS2 & SS3 Olds Rally's will be available for purchase within 1 months time from this post. However they are only offering these rally's starting at 18 inch in diameter. In my personal opinion the larger they get the more different they are going to look compared to stock which is why I was after 17's. All in all 18's will solve my problem and I am stilling going to pursue it.

These wheel are made out of forged aluminum and the cost for 1 rim is in the $700-$800 range depending on whether you have them cleared, polished on the backside, powder coating etc. I think a set of 4 were around $3800 including polishing on backside & powder coated clear, which isn't bad considering the circumstances and comparison to other aluminum forged wheels.

From what I understand gary willards's original design was based on billet aluminum and ran around $5500-$6000 for a set of 4.

*****A HUGE shout out to Gary Willard & Bonspeed wheels to make this even possible and taking a BIG LEAP towards the Olds community! Its truly about time somebody had the motivation & know how to make this happen!!!!

Thanks for everyone's support & input! I am certain that this thread will help answer a lot of questions for other olds enthusiasts like me looking for options on the SS2 & SS3 Olds Rally's.

Cheers!

Mike G from Disco Bay
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:05 PM

Hello Mike,

I am in the same spot. How did things turn out with Bonspeed and Gary?

Ben
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:25 PM

http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/to...ml?hilit=foose

Foose Wheels
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:54 PM

Yea I've been looking at these as well. I finally saw them in person at GoodGuys in AZ last weekend. I really like Gary's design compared to these.
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:25 AM

I found Gary Willard on youtube a few weeks ago and emailed him.
He said he was trying to get these wheels produced again.
He asked me for the size I would like and I said 17" or 18".
Everyone interested may want to contact him and let him see how much interest there is out here.
Here is his email. streetsmartclassics@gmail.com.

I think his design blows Foose away and looks more like the factory wheels.