General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cover or not to Cover....that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2014, 02:27 PM

Cover or not to Cover....that is the ?

Hey Guys,

Wanted to get some feedback on keeping the car covered or not during warm sunny days in the Northeast? My 70' Olds is covered all winter as it's stored in the driveway as I don't have a garage for it. Now that's it about summer, should I take the cover off and let it breath or keep it wrapped up?

Main reason for the question is the car is in the process of getting worked on but is at a stand-still till the budget recuperates so paint is already in need of work and there are some rust areas in the common spots like fender lips, quarter wells and rockers, but it's in pretty good shape considering how long it was sitting exposed before I was lucky to get her. Plus the weatherstripping seals, especially around the windows have to be replaced as water can get in if it's not covered. Only entertaining keeping it uncovered in sunny weather to make sure any moisture that found it's way in can 'air' out but don't want to speed up the body rust at the same time.

Good idea/bad idea? Kills me to see her covered all the time knowing I just don't have the money to get these projects done as fast as I'd like but all in due time I suppose.....
Old June 17th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I keep my cars covered in the garage.
Old June 17th, 2014, 02:51 PM

X2, keep it covered. Have you ever see what the blazing hot scorching sun can do to your car's paint and dashboard? Open the window about 1/2" so the heat inside can vent out.
Old June 17th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Kills me to see her covered all the time knowing I just don't have the money to get these projects done as fast as I'd like but all in due time I suppose.....
How much space do you have? Any chance to consider something like this? (front and back can be closed)
Old June 17th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
How much space do you have? Any chance to consider something like this? (front and back can be closed)
Thanks for the input fellas. Allan, that's a very good idea, I'll look into it.
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:32 AM

i have the same problem, my car is outside all year and is midnight blue almost black which doesnt help. i try to keep it covered with the windows half way my thin cover dont help much but its something. and i dont tie it tight i use soft traffic cones to sorta hold it loosely and get a nice breeze all around and through the car. it came off a couple times and did a number on the antenna though, so always be careful of a loose cover on mirrors/antenna

Last edited by 63super88; June 20th, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old June 20th, 2014, 02:24 PM

If I'm not driving it, I keep it covered. Between the sun fading out and destroying your interior, the rain (remember our acid rain in the north east) will really do a job on the exterior. Not to mention animals (pets or otherwise) jumping on it, branches, tree sap and dust.

You should be able to pick up a good outside car cover for less than $200. I'm talking about sealed seams and fleece on the underside. If you keep your car outside during the summer (as I do), it is really worth the tiny investment.

empirecovers.com has some really good ones.

Last edited by chip-powell; June 23rd, 2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old June 20th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Keeping a car covered outside is a double edged sword. They will build moisture, the wind blows the cover around and scuffs the paint, critters get in there and make nests...
Old June 20th, 2014, 04:55 PM
azure blue 442

shelter

I like Allan R's idea. A bit more money, but it will save the interior, and countless areas of rust. The cost may prolong your restoration time, but at least you'll still have something to restore.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:57 PM

Covered.
I would also leave the windows closed to keep out bugs, lizards, and other creepy crawlies.
Having a light colored cover will help reflect some of the sunlight and heat.