General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Red face Stupid, stupid, stupid...

I wouldn't have believed it if it wasn't under my own hood, but it turns out the reason the 307 in my Custom Cruiser didn't want to start is that there were an extra two quarts of oil in the engine, plus whatever amount the carb swallowed (more on that in a sec).

Seems some genius replaced the dipstick with one shorter than it should have been, so that as I fed in a little oil here and there to make up for the amount she leaks, she was constantly operating with too much in the sump.

I DID have the right amount put in at oil changes, but over time (you usually don't check the level right after you see them put in the right amount) it built up.

I am told how fortunate I am that something catastrophic didn't happen, but as her 307 is on the high side of 180k it would seem that there was enough "pass-through" to keep the pressure OK (though I never considered the oil warning light coming on for TOO MUCH oil, naturally, as she always registered as low).

Anyhoo, after the shop drained the sump, replaced the dipstick (in the engine, not me) and the filters and topped off and checked all the fluids, she started.

Now, however, I am down on power and was told that I should clean the carb to remove the gunk it inhaled. Seems it's something I shouldn't worry about doing (air filter off, engine running, spray like hell), but I'd rather not do this without asking someone who might actually KNOW how this should be done better than the college drop-out at the auto parts store.

SO, with ALL that in mind, how best do I minister to the greasy, non-computerized Quadrajet that sits atop my 307? It's coated with more than the acceptable "fine mist" of oil, to the point that your fingers get quite greasy just touching its pipes, plates and innards.

PLEASE tell me that this is easy and will in no way fulfill my wife's prophecy that the Fire Department will have to be called before a tow truck should I go on my own with this.

There's only so much stupid a 24-year-old 307 can take...
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:14 PM

I'd start by spraying the carburetor inside and out with Gumout.

Old April 26th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Administrator

You can do this with a couple of cans (I always found that one is never enough) of carb cleaner. When your spraying in your carb, just raise the idle a bit to keep it running. It will smoke like hell and don't breath that stuff.

For the rest of of your system just run a couple of rounds of seafoam in your fuel. You might pull your spark plugs and see how they look, regap and reinstall. Pull your airbreather and pcv from the valve covers and spay them down. Clean the rubber lines to your aircleaner and replace the little filter in there.

While your there, you MAW degrease the engine and primp under there. Check all your vacuum lines and such.