General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fixed VATS System

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:42 AM
NOVICE car nut

Fixed VATS System

I fixed my lingering problem with my 93 Buick Lesabre's VATS security system ( Vehicle Anti Theft System ) issue that I had on & off since I bought the car last spring , and it cost me only about $10 . The car has been giving me issues with starting to where I turn the key and nothing , like the ignition switch went dead or something . For awhile I would turn the key repeatedly back and forth , and then it would all of a sudden start . The whole time it was doing this the security light on the instrument panel would flash . Then I discovered one day if I turned the key once , and then ease it back till it stopped , the security light would go from flashing to solid , and then it would start . ( Note : Don't turn the key all the way back to where you can pull the key back out of the ignition ) After a month or so of doing this I noticed a change yet again . The security light would come on & go back off while I was driving it . Then one day it would start by just turning the key once , but the security light would stay on . Well today it would just flash , and would not start , no matter what I tried .... So here's the fix , for my problem anyhow .....

( I can post pics of the wire location if someone is interested , or has been having the same problem . ) With a little research online , you have three potential problems . The key itself could be it , because it has a little resistor imbeded in it .... or the wires in the steering column are broke that lead to the module under the dash on the passenger side .... or it's the module itself . I bought a key , so that was not it . So I went to a lock place that deals with VATS keys , and they gave me the value of the resistor in the key . Then you go to radio shack and buy that ohm valued resistor , get some speaker wire , a soldering iron , and some shrink tubing . Solder a piece of wire to each end of the resistor , and shrink tube the whole resistor past the soldered connection . find the wire under the dash ( mine was a orange wire casing with two small white wires inside , BUT don't get the wires confused and cut the air bag wires or you may be in for a big surprise ! ) cut the wires and splice each wire to one end of the little resistor set up you just made going toward the plug in .... Not toward the steering column , and TA DAAAA all fixed . I'm so happy , because the module is not cheap , and you have to get it calibrated to your VIN # at the dealership .

Last edited by oldsguybry; October 14th, 2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old March 26th, 2015, 11:44 PM
NOVICE car nut

I thought I would add to this .... I found the extremely helpful website that has very easy to understand instructions along with nice big pictures . This is where I got the above idea 3yrs ago when I was having this problem with the VATS system . I couldn't find where I put my extra resistors since then , and I wasn't sure if I used the 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistor to fix the problem so I bought some of each ..... I of course found the ones I couldn't find and now have more resistors then I will ever need . Anyway here's what I typed in the search field ( How do you bypass the VATS system in a 93 Buick Lesabre ) to find this website which has a slightly different title ....

How to bypass the VATS system in a late model GM vehicle

This site covers all GM automobiles and it has a segment where you can bypass the system entirely .
Old May 30th, 2016, 01:30 PM
NOVICE car nut

Now for some unknown reason I can start the car without the resistor . I forgot to put it on one day but the car started right up . This didn't work prior to a week ago .