General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1974 delta 88 seat belt/ignition disable

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:01 PM

1974 delta 88 seat belt/ignition disable

I would like to disable the factory seat belt ignition kill on my car. I would also like to disable the warning horn and light when you put pressure on the middle center seat as well What is the best way to do so without hacking up too many wires etc?
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
Oldsdruid

I thought I had posted that procedure here a couple years back, but if you can't find it I'll put it up again. I'll have to dig out my 74 Tech Bulletins.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM

If you could post again that would be a big help to me. I can not seem to find the instructions
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM

Now you're bringing back some memories, as my mom's Pontiac had this. Recall having a bag of groceries on the passenger seat, and wouldn't start. Hadn't a clue, until my dad came over and fastened the safety belt. Recall there being an underhood relay on the passenger side firewall with a red override button on it. Turns out GM over stepped their boundries on this feature, and the dealer just took it off.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:08 AM
Oldsdruid

Turns out I had posted it on 73-77olds.com instead of here. Anyhoo, here's the complete copy/paste of the post from over there 12/18/2010.

Yup- you have one of the few cars left that didn't get the factory authorized disablement of the seat belt interlock. I've never checked my Hurst to see if it has, but it's never given me any trouble starting so I assume it was done.

For the simple reason it's still intact and working, I'd be inclined to leave it alone, but if you really want to ditch it, here's how.

From Dealer Information Bulletin 75-I-14 dated 11/1/1974:

This modification renders the starter interlock feature and buzzer inactive, but will not affect operation of the seat belt warning light as required by NTMVS act.

1) Disconnect negative battery cable.

2) Locate interlock harness connector. On all 1974-75 styles except 1974 Vega, connector with orange, yellow and green leads is located under the left side of the instrument panel on or near the fuse block.

3) Cut and tape the green wire on the body harness side of the interlock connector.

(The bulletin has drawings which I can't reproduce here, but looks like the body side is the male part of the flat 4-port connector plug. The green wire is the interlock relay ground, orange is the hot lead and yellow is the warning light. Green wire should be in plug cavity "B", orange in "D", yellow in "C". It notes that rework must be performed on the body side of the interlock connector.)

4) Disconnect seat belt warning buzzer from installed position as follows:

A) Oldsmobile- Cutlass, 88, 98, Toronado

WITHOUT low coolant warning and heavy duty cooling
system, disconnect and remove buzzer/tone alarm from left side of
fuse panel.

WITH low coolant warning and HD cooling, cut yellow wire
behind the connector and tape ends. (This buzzer has two
terminals sticking out the top of it, I assume for the radiator probe.)

5) Reconnect negative battery cable and check system operation.

(I would assume that means start the car with seat belts unbuckled and people in the seats. If car starts and warning LIGHT works, you should be golden.)

Anyone wants a hardcopy of the Bulletin, PM me with mail address and I'll copy it for you. Don't own a scanner, and it's printed on blue paper which may not reproduce well electronically. The Bulletin covers all GM Divisions, and I'll give it to Olds. Theirs appears to be the simplest, and the easiest to access the affected components. Corvette especially seems like it would be a PITA.