General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

March pulley & bracket system for 350??

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM

March pulley & bracket system for 350??

Just saw this on their site today....I think I remember them having it for the 455 but never listed it for the small block. And it says it's serpentine style...since when has this been available?? I thought Mondello was the only company with a system for the small block. I'm guessing this would fit a 330 too??

http://www.marchperf.com/olds_350rocket.html
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1965cutlassragtop
Just saw this on their site today....I think I remember them having it for the 455 but never listed it for the small block. And it says it's serpentine style...since when has this been available?? I thought Mondello was the only company with a system for the small block. I'm guessing this would fit a 330 too??

http://www.marchperf.com/olds_350rocket.html
Yes, anything that fits a 350 also fits a 330, 307, and 403. No, it ISN'T a true serpentine system, since it does not use a reverse rotation water pump, just a boatload of idler pulleys and a flat multi-rib belt.
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:58 AM

the pic shows 2 seperate serpentine belts. so yes, it isn't a single belt true serpentine system, but still uses serpentine belts. and i see no idler or tension pulleys listed as "included" in the kit. it almost looks like they just recreated the factory brackets and modified the size of the pulleys. still for the power steering pump, pulley's & brackets, it's almost $1000....not much less than mondello's setup, but less indeed.

a close up on the March website shows one belt going around the crank and power steering pulley's, then another belt going around the crank, water pump, & alternator. this is for non A/C cars. i see the power steering system for about $650, plus the billet power steering pump is another $300. i would just use a regular alternator for now until it's time for a new one, then i would upgrade to the polished one (to save money up front).

Last edited by 1965cutlassragtop; May 28th, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:27 AM

http://www.marchperf.com/styletrack_olds.html

STYLE TRACK FOR OLDSMOBILE V-8
Alternator, A/C and Optional Power Steering

NEW for 2011
350 Rocket & 455ci
Just for the Oldsmobile V-8. Rigid support for the alternator and A/C compressor; a separate bracket allows the option of power steering or no power steering. Three separate idlers guarantee the ultimate in belt to pulley contact area for sure "no slip" operation.

Style Track has a unique easy to use belt tension adjustment tool. Once the belt tension has been set, the adjustment tool is easily removed and stowed away until the next time the belt requires adjustment.

Complete quality components including all the mounting hardware you'll need and detailed instructions so installation is a snap. You can also forget about polishing this assembly, as it features a maintenance-free powder coating in Clear, Black or Black Onyx.

Application:
Oldsmobile 350 Rocket & 455ci (Requires electric fuel pump)
STYLE TRACK FOR OLDSMOBILE V-8
Alternator, A/C and Optional Power Steering

Last edited by caddy; May 28th, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:37 AM

i don't have A/C so i'm not interested in the style-trac system, i like the simplicity of the non a/c setup. i can't stand that big triangle monstrocity on the top.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:11 AM

the pic shows 2 seperate serpentine belts. so yes, it isn't a single belt true serpentine system, but still uses serpentine belts. and i see no idler or tension pulleys listed as "included" in the kit. it almost looks like they just recreated the factory brackets and modified the size of the pulleys. still for the power steering pump, pulley's & brackets, it's almost $1000....not much less than mondello's setup, but less indeed.

a close up on the March website shows one belt going around the crank and power steering pulley's, then another belt going around the crank, water pump, & alternator. this is for non A/C cars. i see the power steering system for about $650, plus the billet power steering pump is another $300. i would just use a regular alternator for now until it's time for a new one, then i would upgrade to the polished one (to save money up front).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180877235068...#ht_2045wt_952

$371.99 on E-bay
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 74 Omega

thanks, but that does not include the power steering bracket or power steering pulley. that is only the alternator pulley, alternator bracket, water pump pulley, crank pully. take note of the part number...16015 is non power steering, 16020 is w/ power steering @ $650.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

a close up on the March website shows one belt going around the crank and power steering pulley's, then another belt going around the crank, water pump, & alternator.
And this is different from the stock V-belts how?

My point is that type of belt they use is called a multi-rib flat belt. "Serpentine" refers to the circuitous route the belt takes when wrapped around the crank and reverse rotation water pump (serpentine = "like a serpent"). March can call it whatever they want, but if it's worth $600+ to you to simply use a different style of belt with the same belt geometry, then go for it.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
And this is different from the stock V-belts how?

My point is that type of belt they use is called a multi-rib flat belt. "Serpentine" refers to the circuitous route the belt takes when wrapped around the crank and reverse rotation water pump (serpentine = "like a serpent"). March can call it whatever they want, but if it's worth $600+ to you to simply use a different style of belt with the same belt geometry, then go for it.
Well technically, the factory setup has a 2 groove water pump pulley which is to allow the power steering belt to go around both crank and water pump. This March setup uses a 1 groove water pump pulley and runs the power steering belt around the crank only. I also had read that they changed pulley diameters to improve accessory rotation at idles.

I guess I don't have the terminology right. As I mentioned, it looks like they just recreated the factory setup only to LOOK alot alot better. No where in the thread did I mention anything about improving performance. When I mentioned that it was a serpentine system I guess I should have said it used a "serpentine-style BELT" which apparently I should have called a "multiple rib flat belt". I ASSUME this is I better option than a v-belt as far a slipping, maybe not, I'm not sure. But you pay the price to have it look nice I guess. So yes, the question is how much are the looks worth to you. I believe I read that they changed the pulley sizes to improve accessory rotation rates at idle, however.

Nonetheless, I can't stand the look of the factory pulleys and brackets, so I think this may be added to the list of wants for my car.

Last edited by 1965cutlassragtop; May 28th, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Cleaning up my old pulley's with a wire brush and a nice coat of semi gloss engine paint cost under 10 dollar's.

Just sayin' Save that 1000 dollars and spend it somewhere else on the car!

not arguing with the fact that they look great though.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:35 AM

Yeah I have other things on the list before this one, believe me...I just like to plan ahead!! Sometimes way ahead, haha. Next big job i'll be doing is a PMT 1320R rear traction system, rebuld rear end, new drive shaft, plus a few other goodies. Time and money...that's pretty much what it boils down to.

A couple years back I had my factory pulley's and brackets all powder coated...they now are all chipped up and ratty looking. I'd love to just rip it all off and go all new.

Last edited by 1965cutlassragtop; May 28th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.