General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

propane V/S accetelene

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Question propane V/S accetelene

Getting ready to do some trading with a guy for a torch set up,He has been useing propane & oxygen.What are the advantages other than cost, What are the disadvantages?
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Propane, propylene & MAPP gas are all referred to as fuel gasses by the torch companies now. I've used all three at work, currently propane. If I remember this right they all burn hotter that acetylene but their BTU value is lower. Meaning you have to use more gas to do the same amount of work. All this really means is you use a little more heat with fuel gasses that with acetylene. Personally I set my flame oxidizing a little with fuel gas. It let's me start the cut quicker. I see guys use to acetylene set a neutral flame with fuel gas, then get frustrated when they can't get the metal hot enough to start the cut.

At work we usually cut 1/4" and thicker. I can switch between acet. & fuel gas without problems. At home I chose acet. because I will be cutting mostly thin metal and I have a little better heat control. But - Harris makes a great fuel gas torch. The oxy. actually swirls coming out of the tip. So you can start the cut, lift the tip about 1" off the metal and continue the cut. Great for sheet metal!

One last reason I chose acet. is that you can gas weld with acet., but not with fuel gasses. If I remember correctly, acetylene has one more atom of carbon needed for welding, fuel gas doesn't. Not that I plan to do any gas welding, just nice to know if I need to I can.

Hope this helps. Don
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Thanks Don I think this set up will work fine for my purpose mainly cutting & heating to bend metal for fabricating. Larry