General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

moog ride height

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2011, 08:07 PM

moog ride height

hey guys, getting ready to buy new moog coil springs front/rear for my 1970 442 convertible no a/c, no power options.i will be putting 15 inch super stock IIs with radials same size all the way around. i want car to sit level but just a little higher than stock. from reading old posts about this i am going to get the moog 5450hd for the front. but am not sure which ones to pick for the back. the spring rate on the 5379 {stock convert} looks good but install height 8.5" might not get the rear high enough. the 5413 { convert hd} has a spring rate of 167 but still has the install height of 8.5" of the standard vert spring. the 5385 {2 dr hd} has a 167.5 spring rate but with a install height of 9" which i think will get the look i want but rob {ladynrob} said it was a little harsh for him. rob have you switched to a lighter rear spring? any help would be great guys!!!
Old December 21st, 2011, 05:30 AM

Those compressed spring heights are based on a specific load (car weight on the springs). You need either trial and error, or an exact car weight front and rear, to select the spring that will give exactly what you want.
Old December 21st, 2011, 05:41 AM

Spring selection is a science, or trial and error it seems...

How many miles on your car? Original springs? What is the ride height of your current springs (go under and measure). I bet your car is lower than normal just by spring sag.
Lady has 156k and had her originals. She rode about 1" lower than normal due to sag.
She now rides a bit higher with her four new boingers - possibly how you would like it. I personally think she is a little too high, but no big deal.

The 5413 HD 'vert' springs might be your choice.
Go here to compare specs of any Moog springs!
http://classiccarsprings.com/coil-sp...fications.html

If you have manual trans, then the HD springs definitely for you as the rate (167#) would be correct (to maybe reduce wheel hop).

I had commented that the HDs ride 'harsh' but that is a bit of an overstatement, comparing to the old saggy 106# stock springs and the fact I like a buttery smooth ride like they had delivered.
I have not changed back over to the 'softer' 122# springs yet. I have them, just no time and no priority - just not that bad. Now keep in mind Lady weighs a hundred pounds more than yours (lots of sound deadener and extra options), so your ride might be a tad more 'stiff' feeling with them.
Now if you can tolerate riding in a jittery '09 accord (or 08 altima), then you will like these HD springs all around - much smoother ride than those new cars!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
72rearsprings.JPG (38.8 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; December 21st, 2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: incorrect info was given...
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:00 AM

you can use spacers to lift the back up if it is not at the right stance. they make them in different size's to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-REAR-COIL-...item1c2201bd55
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Those compressed spring heights are based on a specific load (car weight on the springs). You need either trial and error, or an exact car weight front and rear, to select the spring that will give exactly what you want.
i have done the trial/error on a 71 monte ss, 4 sets of front springs to get the perfect look/ride. at least i know what front springs i am going with 5450hd! thanks,,
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Spring selection is a science, or trial and error it seems...

How many miles on your car? Original springs? What is the ride height of your current springs (go under and measure). I bet your car is lower than normal just by spring sag.
Lady has 156k and had her originals. She rode about 1" lower than normal due to sag.
She now rides a bit higher with her four new boingers - possibly how you would like it. I personally think she is a little too high, but no big deal.

The 5413 HD 'vert' springs might be your choice if you want a taller than normal ride height in back. You cannot go on the "install height" now, cause the vert is about 150# heavier than the coupe and the vert springs have a taller free height to compensate.
Go here to compare specs of any Moog springs!
http://classiccarsprings.com/coil-sp...fications.html

If you have manual trans, then the HD springs definitely for you as the rate (167#) would be correct (to maybe reduce wheel hop).

I had commented that the HDs ride 'harsh' but that is a bit of an overstatement, comparing to the old saggy 106# stock springs and the fact I like a buttery smooth ride like they had delivered.
I have not changed back over to the 'softer' 122# springs yet. I have them, just no time and no priority - just not that bad. Now keep in mind Lady weighs a couple hundred pounds more than your coupe, so your ride might be a little more stiff feeling with them.
If you can tolerate riding in a jittery '09 accord (or 08 altima), then you will like the HD springs all around - much smoother ride than those new cars!
car is in the middle of a frame off resto. 1970 442 pace car convertible so weight should be close to yours. old springs were sagging pretty low, i will def put in the front 5450hd and try the 5413 for the back. btw rob your threads on your car {front end, interior,ect,ect} are great and very helpful during my resto! thanks,,,
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:31 AM

allright now that i have decided which springs to go with. who has the best deal on them?
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by charlierogers
car is in the middle of a frame off resto. 1970 442 pace car convertible so weight should be close to yours. old springs were sagging pretty low, i will def put in the front 5450hd and try the 5413 for the back. btw rob your threads on your car {front end, interior,ect,ect} are great and very helpful during my resto! thanks,,,
DOH!!! - I missed the "convertible part there - i thought yours was a hardtop!! Okay, 5413 it shall be!
I hate it when the coffee does not kick in fast enough!

Originally Posted by charlierogers
allright now that i have decided which springs to go with. who has the best deal on them?
Rockauto. Use a 5% off code stickied on this site as well. See what other parts you can include to maximize the shipping. Most Moog parts can ride for free. Be sure to get one box of the rear spring insulators if you hadn't already.
If you lived close by i would let you try mine out...
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:22 AM

Since we have similar cars, here is what I used and here is the result as a reference for your decisions:

Car: 1970 factory 455 Cutlass convertible (w 442 trim); has A/C; 15" SSIII wheels, BFG P255/60 tires

Suspension:
Front springs: Moog 5536
Rear springs: Moog 6321

Front shocks: KYB KG4513
Rear shocks: KYB KG5504

Photos show ride height; mild rake back to front don't know if you can tell from photos; overall probably lower than stock (but my suspension was so shot when I got it I can't claim to know what stock looks like)

Overall I'm happy with the look/ride/handling. Hope that helps
Attached Images
IMG_4812.jpg (59.0 KB, 214 views)
IMG_4813.jpg (55.3 KB, 198 views)
Ride ht - Front.jpg (51.8 KB, 162 views)
Ride ht - Rear.jpg (53.4 KB, 150 views)
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
DOH!!! - I missed the "convertible part there - i thought yours was a hardtop!! Okay, 5413 it shall be!
I hate it when the coffee does not kick in fast enough!

Rockauto. Use a 5% off code stickied on this site as well. See what other parts you can include to maximize the shipping. Most Moog parts can ride for free. Be sure to get one box of the rear spring insulators if you hadn't already.
If you lived close by i would let you try mine out...
great, i will put a order in tommorow. thanks again for the tip.
getting ready to post more pics of the progress. charlie,,,
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dan K
Since we have similar cars, here is what I used and here is the result as a reference for your decisions:

Car: 1970 factory 455 Cutlass convertible (w 442 trim); has A/C; 15" SSIII wheels, BFG P255/60 tires

Suspension:
Front springs: Moog 5536
Rear springs: Moog 6321

Front shocks: KYB KG4513
Rear shocks: KYB KG5504

Photos show ride height; mild rake back to front don't know if you can tell from photos; overall probably lower than stock (but my suspension was so shot when I got it I can't claim to know what stock looks like)

Overall I'm happy with the look/ride/handling. Hope that helps
Dan thanks for posting pics and info of your car, pics are always helpful!!! btw i love that color combo
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:51 PM

Here is Lady after her completefront and rear suspension rebuilds.
She is still missing about 55 pounds of A/C stuff up front, so her front appears slightly higher.
Of course, uneven pavement there does not help either.
Can't complain regardless - the driving experience is great...

Old December 21st, 2011, 07:14 PM

Check Amazon also; I have gotten some good prices on springs there.