General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fuel Injection

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Fuel Injection

Has anyone on this forum added fuel injection to a stock 455? I have a 1970 442, and I am sick of the carb. I would like to add fuel injection, and possibly an intake manifold while maintaining a relatively stock appearance, including the ram air. The original parts can go be permanently filed with the rest of my original parts collection. I am already familiar with Schwartz performance, and although there projects are excellent, they are too radical and too expensive for this project.
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
car guy

MSD just released a pretty sweet TB system at SEMA. You might look in to it.
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM

I'd considered it for a few projects, but as you weigh the cost vs. gain, didn't seem worth it, IMO.
I ended up getting a rebuilt carb, as I wanted the throttle shafts re-bushed and installing an electric choke from a worn-out '80's CCC from a Chevy 305.
Once set-up correctly, never had another problem!
'69 442, T-400 + 3:42's got 18 MPG hwgy and very responsive!
But, that was when you could still get premium leaded fuel!
Old November 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
MSD just released a pretty sweet TB system at SEMA. You might look in to it.
Looks like it just might be what I need. Any idea if it will fit on the stock manifold under the ram air?
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

if it's not gonna be raced. What about the professional products projection fi set up . It looks like a typical holley carb but is fuel injection and it can handle up to 550 hp and i beileve it is self learning last i remember .
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
if it's not gonna be raced. What about the professional products projection fi set up . It looks like a typical holley carb but is fuel injection and it can handle up to 550 hp and i beileve it is self learning last i remember .
My car is an restored original cruiser. I have dropped it an inch, changed to 15in radials, and converted the fans to electric, but everything else is original. The car is not raced except from light to light. I am just looking for improved drivability, and a smoother idle. Mondello (Joe, not twister) changed my cam and did my head work. The aluminum intake manifold has since been painted to match the engine, and I saved the iron one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0219.jpg (106.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN2529.jpg (138.7 KB, 28 views)
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:09 PM

Look into "FAST" EFI, they have a bolt on self learning EFI sys. Have heard good things about it. Check these links.
Gene
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...em_conversion/
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ems/index.html
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:25 AM

I'm a huge fan of efi. But the cost of the aftermarket systems is way too high, ~$2500. That's about what it costs to swap in a used LS motor.
And you basically only get a tbi system with these. IMHO not a lot better than a well tuned carb.
It would be great if someone would source a tbi kit with stock GM parts from a late 80s 454 and aftermarket ecu, ie. megasquirt. You could easily set it up for under $1k.
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:56 AM

It is pricey, but given my abilities and resources, an LS motor is not going in for $2500. Besides, I am trying to stay reasonably stock.
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:38 AM

I like the "LS" engine it is a great power plant in a chebby. I don't think it's belongs in an OLDS, Buick or Pontiac. I think it is a chebby guy to cheap to buy a chebby. They are a "want a be chebby" guy.
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Gee - isn't the LS motor in Cadillacs, too?
And a small version in Olds, awhile back?
If Olds and Pontiac were still alive, who knows where or in what LS motors would be!
Really not a 'chebby' exclusive!!
Old November 20th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Everyone talks ls motors like they are the bee's knees. What about an lt1 they are still alot of them out there they are cheaper and they have standalone ecu's just kile the ls1 conversions and lets not forget they can make great power too and the demensions are the same as a standard 350 chevy. Makes the swap even easier
Old November 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM

My comment was regarding the price of aftermaket tbi.
There are not a lot of GM controllers that dont integrate spark control. But there are off the shelf marine ECUs, and of course magasquirt which can be bought for under $300. The megasquirt can work with an early 90s 454 throttle body, injectors, and sensors.
Not really a kit, but putting this together as an ecu and harness where you source your own throttle body, sensors, etc should be doable.
http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_arti...part1-nova.htm
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:22 PM

As for mention of LS, these are GM corporate engines, and if Oldsmobile were still manufacturing V8 cars today, guaranty it would be an LS under the hood. I’ve owned two late model LS Vette’s, and these really run, pushing 30 mpg highway too. If you’ve ever seen one of these apart, the design would’ve been a mega buck flat out race engine in the 60’s. I agree, there’s no way you’re transplanting one of these in for $2500 bucks.
Old November 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM

But an iron block LM7 or LQ4 can be done for $2500.....ask me how I know
But just adding fuel injection should be under $1k with GM parts. The throttle bodies probably wouldn't support 500hp though.

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
As for mention of LS, these are GM corporate engines, and if Oldsmobile were still manufacturing V8 cars today, guaranty it would be an LS under the hood. I’ve owned two late model LS Vette’s, and these really run, pushing 30 mpg highway too. If you’ve ever seen one of these apart, the design would’ve been a mega buck flat out race engine in the 60’s. I agree, there’s no way you’re transplanting one of these in for $2500 bucks.
Old November 20th, 2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by garys 68
But an iron block LM7 or LQ4 can be done for $2500.....ask me how I know
But just adding fuel injection should be under $1k with GM parts. The throttle bodies probably wouldn't support 500hp though.
Yup, I believe you, as known guys who've gone with the cheaper iron block versions, but never really knew the total cost. GM Performance makes the complete ECU/wiring harness kit for about $1K, and Josh at Custom Image can supply everything else. Since you offered, be interested in more details of what you did. Mark
Old November 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM

Post 115 outlines costs.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ii-swap-3.html
I modified the original harness that came with the motor. But LS swap parts are getting pretty cheap these days compared to a swap I did just a few years ago.
But I still think a stand alone TBI package using GM parts for under $1k would be worth it. Even NASCAR is getting rid of carbs next year....
Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
Yup, I believe you, as known guys who've gone with the cheaper iron block versions, but never really knew the total cost. GM Performance makes the complete ECU/wiring harness kit for about $1K, and Josh at Custom Image can supply everything else. Since you offered, be interested in more details of what you did. Mark