General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Worst Has Happened. Attemped car thief

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2011, 02:34 AM

The Worst Has Happened. Attemped car thief

So since Ive installed my NRG hub(detaching steering wheel) often time i keep it in the Trunk maybe stupid on my part or not.However their was an attempt, and the the damage done was they tried to get to the steering wheel through the backseat. Also they left something hanging from underneath steering wheel column. Please help figure this out , after the attempt i drove my car then i pulled into the drive way and lost all electric after. Ive tried jumping the car and got absolutely nothing

Last edited by help442onguam; September 7th, 2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old September 7th, 2011, 02:48 AM

Need to know what this is and what it effects
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG-20110907-00642.jpg (66.7 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG-20110907-00641.jpg (70.5 KB, 264 views)
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:02 AM

looks like the neutral start switch. Car won't start (or even try to) if this is not in the correct position.
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:06 AM

That's the neutral start and B/U switch and is mounted on top of the steering column with two screws and needs to be adjusted so that the car starts in Park or Neutral only...that black piece hanging down looks like the speedo cable You should be able to feel a rectangular slot on top of the column where the switch mounts...
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:16 AM

Fellas i wish there was a way i could really express my appreciation to this forum , please continue to inform me of how to fix this thank you soooooooooooo much
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:20 AM

Would this make the entire electric stop working
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No, it wouldn't.

- Eric
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Kjr442

Looks like the work of a amateur, it's hard telling what has been pulled loose under your dash. I hope they don't learn more about it and come back.
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:08 AM

Well, the worst didn't happen, as you still have the car. It did to a guy in our Olds group though. Restored a 71' Cutlass to way beyond perfect, but it's gone now, probably out of the country. Know how invaded you feel though, as had my Olds and house broke into.
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Administrator

I feel for ya bud! Your going to havve to get under there and see what they messed with. Look at the ignition switch plug, fuse box, etc...
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:25 AM

Sorry to hear about this - I bet they pulled something else loose from under there - Disconnect the battery to reduce risks of shorts until you verify all electrical stuff is okay.
The worst has not happened - you still have your car. The same happened with my 86 long ago. I still have it and insurance paid for all but 50 bucks.
I hope they do come back and you will have a .45 to greet them with. I HATE thieves.
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:35 AM

X's 10 on Rob's answer with the .45 caliber greeter!
Old September 7th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Sometimes it's good to think like thieves. If you have a nice older classic car that get's stolen, it's propably already in south america or the middle east before you get up in the morning. U.S paperwork means nothing in these places, and they really want our classic cars. At the other spectrum, thieves are also looking for rolling bins of parts. Had a friend with a nearly new looking mid 90's Chrysler Concord he got from his dad. Was broke into several times, then one day just gone. Lots of other nicer cars around too. Thing had a value of maybe $2k, but surely 10 times+ parted out.
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by help442onguam
Would this make the entire electric stop working
No, but if you aren't looking closely it may seem like it. When you turn the key do your idiot lights come on? Do your headlights work?

When the Neutral Safety Switch is not hooked up properly and you turn the key you won't hear anything, everything will appear to be dead. Especially true if you are trying this in the daylight as it makes the idiot lights harder to see.

If you don't have idiot lights or headlights I would next look under the hood, they may have been under there trying to get it to start and may have knocked things loose.
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Sounds like they observed you getting out of your car. They thought they could get to the wheel through your back seat easier than popping the lock on the trunk. Plus this gave them the cover of being in the car. I would agree that they were amateurs, but they've seen you get out and put your steering wheel in the trunk. Could even live fairly close to you.

Like several others have said, at least you still have the car. You'll be able to figure out what is messed up and be back on the road in no time. Good luck!
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:51 PM

and the the damage done was they tried to get to the steering wheel through the backseat.
How did they know you had the steering wheel in the trunk ???
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:40 PM

I think that you are right Cratethis...someone was watching... I hope that the thieves die from acute lead poisoning...
>:-)
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:04 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the attempted theft. I also have a detachable steering wheel on my 725 hardtop cutlass. I take my wheel with me every time I disconnect it though. To attach and detach the wheel you need a custom key. Even if they would have gotten the steering wheel They couldn't have made off with the car. Unless you have a different brand. GRANT makes my brand.
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:11 PM

Dude that SUCKS, it sounds like they were watching you. Thank goodness you still have your Olds, moving along I hope you get a Viper alarm after you get your car together. I hate thieves!!! Please be careful, and try to be more aware of your surroundings. Best of luck picking up the pieces and enjoying you Olds...
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:16 AM

Thank God for that detachable steering wheel eh ??
Now you can tell the naysayers that theft deterrents do work.

FYI, count your blessings.
#1. A rear seat is easier to fix then a mangled trunk lid.
#2. The car is still there.
#3. You won, they lost.

Granted you have to spend some $$$ now because some douchebag tried
to gank your possessions, but be happy it's still there. I'm sure you can
fix that up quickly. The silver thing hanging looks to me like the back of a
speedo cable that goes to the Speedo. Not saying that's what it is, but it
does look like that to me.....Yes, the other thing is the NSS.

This is also why I will never install a trunk release button in my car.
Kinda defeats the purpose of having a locked trunk IMO.

Wait a minute......you're on Guam ??? Are you a US Military guy or a native??
I would think base security can help you here if you're US military.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 8th, 2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:39 AM

Thanks for the support everyone, I do believe the ******* were watching me, and yes im a member of the Air Force and i bought this car as a gift to myself after serving several tours in the sand box. I still haven't figured out the electrical problem
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by starfire
No, but if you aren't looking closely it may seem like it. When you turn the key do your idiot lights come on? Do your headlights work?

When the Neutral Safety Switch is not hooked up properly and you turn the key you won't hear anything, everything will appear to be dead. Especially true if you are trying this in the daylight as it makes the idiot lights harder to see.

If you don't have idiot lights or headlights I would next look under the hood, they may have been under there trying to get it to start and may have knocked things loose.
Thank you Sir, But i have absolutely no power to the entire vehicle, now ill let insurance cover the cost after i pay my $1000 Deductible
Old September 11th, 2011, 08:02 AM

You are going to have to get under the dash. I am willing to bet that the thieves unpluged or knocked loose the other electrical connectors on the steering column. It has two other connections that are what starts your car and energizes your electrical system. If you have nothing at all I will bet the plug they go in is loose or the operating rod/ is out of its socket.

Should be an easy fix/problem to diagnose. You might have to remove the cover and the nuts holding the steering column up and get it to drop a little to reach everything but it is not hard to do.

Good luck,

Brian
Old September 11th, 2011, 08:21 AM
NôôB

Thanks for the support everyone, I do believe the ******* were watching me, and yes im a member of the Air Force and i bought this car as a gift to myself after serving several tours in the sand box. I still haven't figured out the electrical problem
Hey me too, but i havent been deployed yet. I am at lackland where are you stationed at?

Not sure what your electrical problem is but i am sure alot of people here can help you. I had a problem with the electronics on mine but it had to do with the fuse block and the fire wall connection. Maybe check your fuse block cause when they were moving around in your car they may have kicked something as well?

Just thinking of things is all. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Sorry to hear about this - I bet they pulled something else loose from under there - Disconnect the battery to reduce risks of shorts until you verify all electrical stuff is okay.
The worst has not happened - you still have your car. The same happened with my 86 long ago. I still have it and insurance paid for all but 50 bucks.
I hope they do come back and you will have a .45 to greet them with. I HATE thieves.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I know we've talked about battery disconnects before, and also the frustration of fixing the damage done in an attempted car theft. Enough to make anyone start packing. In lieu of that, has anyone looked at things like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=p5197.c0.m619

I don't know if it works, or how it works but if it does what it claims, it could be a real simple fix to battery disconnect.

I'm not sure whether anything will stop a determined thief though. Usually when they can't get what they want they get really pissed and wreck more stuff because they don't have any sense. They are like colds, they come and go for no good reason or timeline - I don't need them, don't want them and wish there was a common cure for them. Comments?
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I know we've talked about battery disconnects before, and also the frustration of fixing the damage done in an attempted car theft. Enough to make anyone start packing. In lieu of that, has anyone looked at things like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=p5197.c0.m619

I don't know if it works, or how it works but if it does what it claims, it could be a real simple fix to battery disconnect.
Does it work ?? Absolutely.
Is it a pain in the *** ?? Absolutely.
Popping the hood at every stop kinda annoyed me. I want something easier.

I had that EXACT same battery disconnect on my 442.
I am taking it off though and I'm getting something a bit more high tech.

The Magtech is a cool option.
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/battery.html

I'm not sure whether anything will stop a determined thief though.
Theft deterrants are just that......deterrants.

Having something is better then having nothing.
Do you lock your front door at night ?? Can a determined burglar still get in ??

Same mentality. My philosophy is to make the car such a pain in the *** to steal
that the average scumbag will leave it alone for an easier pick.

Last edited by Aceshigh; October 3rd, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old October 4th, 2011, 04:36 AM
72 Olds CS

I have that same disconnect on my car.

I agree its a PITA to pop the hood to connect /disconnect, but its so sweet to disconnect in 2 seconds and work on the car without fear of shorting something and reconnect in 2 more seconds and go for a drive.

$20 on ebay is a little steep tho it was like $6 at walmart
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:31 AM

Wink

Hey,feel for you man,that's the ultimate "bad day".I'ts always someone you know,why else would they need in your trunk.Think about it.As far as the car not starting now ,well the neutral safty switch,does keep the car from starting in gear.{normally}I 've taken mine out and bypassed it.A genral repair manule should show how things are supposed to be placed under your dash.That way you should be able to repair the damage.Although,I'd think no steering wheel would be enough of a theft deterant.There on to you .The cheapest way to stop thieves as stupid as these guys.Is to put a small,hidden switch inside the car,between the ignition switched 12V to the distributer.It will basicly make the ignition {distributer}dead.NO CRANK,no drive away.Fairly simple,just don't let anyone see you switch it on.Good luck ,later,BO
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Does it work ?? Absolutely.
Is it a pain in the *** ?? Absolutely. Popping the hood at every stop kinda annoyed me. I want something easier. I am taking it off though and I'm getting something a bit more high tech. The Magtech is a cool option.
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/battery.html
Aces,
looked at the Magtech. It's really pricey but I also know from the past that you're also a tech guy, so it's probably a good fit for you. Have you bought it and installed it yet?

I have a different point of view about popping the hood. First, the T44 hood lock helps deter (although only briefly and temporarily) people trying to open the hood (which is ridiculously easy for us who know how). But IMO if I am seen opening the hood and doing something or taking something away by any potential car thief creeps, that's ok with me. It will probably be the deterrent that keeps them from trying, more than the disconnect under the hood. Of course I would go a step further and wire a 'dummy' switch to the D.S. with an obvious label like this:

Naturally, you would have to leave the dummy switch in the OFF position to encourage the brain dead sap to turn it ON. That would also be a great 'tattle tale' if you open the hood and see it "ON" when you know it was left off. "Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert! - Danger Will Robinson!!" Incentive to booby trap your driveway...... How much fun can you have delaying a creep trying to steal the car? Enough to grab a baseball bat or call 911? Chances are you might even hear some new creative cuss words.

While I agree that popping the hood all the time can be a bit of a bother, I kind of like the look of my engine and don't mind the opportunity to re-check the engine bay 'periodically.

Generally speaking though, I don't usually take and leave my car to high risk areas where I won't be in eyesight of it. But that is what works for me right now. I appreciate that your location and situaiton are different in the burbs.
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
delete

Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
I think that you are right Cratethis...someone was watching... I hope that the thieves die from acute lead poisoning...
>:-)
Or you've got some shady "friends"
Old October 6th, 2011, 07:01 PM

Talking

Hey guys,the last one i rigged up for a friend{they got his stereo,he left the face on it}I put in the starter circuit,you have to use the correct size wire,and also the right size switch,some kind of circuit breaker as well.I put the switch under the dash so he could reach under and turn it on.Maybe in the console or glove box.You might even get away with putting it right in plane view and lable it somthing else like lights,ejection seat,self destrucked.I know i'm being silly.Goodluck,later,BO
Old October 12th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Certifiable car addict...

Aces,
looked at the Magtech. It's really pricey but I also know from the past that you're also a tech guy, so it's probably a good fit for you. Have you bought it and installed it yet?

I have a different point of view about popping the hood. First, the T44 hood lock helps deter (although only briefly and temporarily) people trying to open the hood (which is ridiculously easy for us who know how). But IMO if I am seen opening the hood and doing something or taking something away by any potential car thief creeps, that's ok with me. It will probably be the deterrent that keeps them from trying, more than the disconnect under the hood. Of course I would go a step further and wire a 'dummy' switch to the D.S. with an obvious label like this:

Naturally, you would have to leave the dummy switch in the OFF position to encourage the brain dead sap to turn it ON. That would also be a great 'tattle tale' if you open the hood and see it "ON" when you know it was left off. "Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert! - Danger Will Robinson!!" Incentive to booby trap your driveway...... How much fun can you have delaying a creep trying to steal the car? Enough to grab a baseball bat or call 911? Chances are you might even hear some new creative cuss words.

While I agree that popping the hood all the time can be a bit of a bother, I kind of like the look of my engine and don't mind the opportunity to re-check the engine bay 'periodically.

Generally speaking though, I don't usually take and leave my car to high risk areas where I won't be in eyesight of it. But that is what works for me right now. I appreciate that your location and situaiton are different in the burbs.

Don't make it a dummy switch. Wire it into the horn relay, or a car alarm siren. If the would be thief trips it thinking he's turning the car on you'll hear it instantly and be able to react. If it doesn't sare the pi$$ out of him when he triggers a horn when trying to be silent.

-Jeff
Old October 12th, 2011, 03:15 PM

That sucks to hear but atleast you got to keep it. Does make you feel dirty though. I had a Excalibur alarm installed on my 72 cutlass with pager, had automatic door actuators installed too. Only cost about 400 total, and I really could have installed myself. My brother has had atleast 10 attempts on stealing his car with this same alarm and not once has anyone got through. Plus I have installed hei dist and im putting a toggle on the 12v power wire inside the car. Should keep my car where I want it.
Old October 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by GTI_Guru
Don't make it a dummy switch. Wire it into the horn relay, or a car alarm siren. If the would be thief trips it thinking he's turning the car on you'll hear it instantly and be able to react. If it doesn't sare the pi$$ out of him when he triggers a horn when trying to be silent.

-Jeff
Have it turn on a video camera hidden under the hood also so you can later watch him hit his head on the hood when the horn goes off!
Old October 12th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GTI_Guru
Don't make it a dummy switch. Wire it into the horn relay, or a car alarm siren. If the would be thief trips it thinking he's turning the car on you'll hear it instantly and be able to react. If it doesn't sare the pi$$ out of him when he triggers a horn when trying to be silent. -Jeff
Never thought of that. What a great idea. But he'd probably just flip it off really quick as soon as it started making noise. But, I still like the idea. Quick, pull my finger....now THAT would scare off any potential thief.
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... he'd probably just flip it off really quick as soon as it started making noise.
Not if you connected it through a latching relay .

- Eric
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Not if you connected it through a latching relay .

- Eric
Sure know how to make a guys life complicated don't you? That means I'd have to wire in another switch to interrupt the power feed for when I want after the relay to de - energize
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The good old fashioned ones have a mechanical button right on the relay.

- Eric
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The good old fashioned ones have a mechanical button right on the relay.- Eric
Cool, send me a link to where I can get one??

Quick Reply: The Worst Has Happened. Attemped car thief