General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Sport Steering wheel condition guide

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Sport Steering wheel condition guide

There are many people selling Oldsmobile sport steering wheels. One of the things I have noticed is varied descriptions on eBay and other selling sites of excellent, driver quality, etc condition. I thought it would be helpful to post a few pictures and if someone would help me with a picture of a reproduction steering wheel we could cover from driver quality to show quality to reproduction. I am not going to cover the years sizes and colors. If another member wants to add this information it will make this post even more helpful. This is because there are also different diameter sport wheels and you should have the correct size on your car.

So you ask how important is a steering wheel? It is not important to a driver quality car. You just need to buy the best wheel for your money spent and this little lesson wont hurt. For a show car I feel it is a critical part of a beautiful interior.

Here are some pictures of a no wear perfect original steering wheel. Many people have never seen one like this because the wheels were very soft and the grain wears quickly. The reproduction wheels have much heavier grain and the metal that attaches to the rubber wheel bends slightly different. Those wheels are great for an original type look and are nicely done similar to original. Prices range from worn wheels 75-100 driver quality 100-250 to mint or show quality 350-800 to NOS 800-1400. Reproductions are about $300.

I am providing this information because my restoration required a no wear original and they are very difficult to find. Fortunately Ed Skaff of this group helped me and I appreciate his assistance and great price too. I have learned much during the restoration of my 1970 olds and plan to share as much as possible.

Restoration is fun, expensive and a can be a good learning experience. So first lesson is steering wheel 1a..........Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 003.jpg (78.8 KB, 473 views)
Picture 001.jpg (65.1 KB, 475 views)
Picture 002.jpg (43.4 KB, 409 views)
Picture 004.jpg (80.2 KB, 412 views)
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:01 AM

Only the second one I've seen.
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM

Lee can you post a side view as well, thanks
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:29 PM
bil

Recently I had the pleasure of meeting Lee and spending some time,I learned a whole lot about these wheels and the conditions.It didn't take a lot of driving to change one from new to used condition,with value changes accordingly.Thanks for the pics and descriptions,Lee. ---bil
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM

270723087278 ebay steering wheel to compare to my lesson wheel. He says perfect but in fact the wheel does have quite a bit of wear, also I cannot tell which picture is the front grain and which is the back, but it does have some grain and is above average wheel. Take a look

Lee
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by leepear
270723087278 ebay steering wheel to compare to my lesson wheel. He says perfect but in fact the wheel does have quite a bit of wear, also I cannot tell which picture is the front grain and which is the back, but it does have some grain and is above average wheel. Take a look

Lee
Nevertheless, the wheel shown does appear to be in above average condition. I would be willing to trade my slightly worn 4 spoke for your new one.

Amazing how in retrospect it would have been so neat to stockpile those parts when the car was new huh? Oh yeah, I didn't have any money then either
Old March 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM

Many years ago, a friend of mine bought a NOS steering wheel at a swap meet. I should have bought it, but I didn't want to spend $35.00. I thought it was to much. I'm pretty sure it's still in his '71 Supreme that has not moved in about 13 years or so? DOH!
Old March 20th, 2011, 08:10 PM

My guess for the wheel listed on ebay is around $400. Unfortunately, the winning buyer will think the wheel they are buying is better than it is (because of the sellers description) until they see a really excellent or NOS wheel.

I did stockpile most of the parts for my restoration, just not the steering wheel, NOS w-27 cover, top radiator hose and a few other things. Even used my NOS hood on the car. Hopefully the quality will show in the restoration.

Lee
Old March 20th, 2011, 08:35 PM

There are no coloured sport wheels for 1970-77 Cutlass or 442 cars. They only came in black and were 15" in dia. If the wheel is coloured then it's for an Omega or Omega SX and is 14". I've heard of people putting the coloured steering wheels on their Cutlass or 442 because it matched the interior of their car. It's not correct, but who cares, as long as they are happy.
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:17 AM

What happens to the value when "stickiness" sets in?
I bought a nice driver-mint wheel for 175 and was great when i got it. Now that I am ready to put it in, it is gooey.
Looking at having it wrapped in something, but that sounds costly. Shoulda got a repro.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:25 AM

Can anyone tell me if there's an Olds part number on these steering wheels and where it's located? I found one at a swap meet last weekend for $75 but passed since it was scratched and had gooey plastic on the rim. Do these
wheels clean up at all or was I crazy to pass on it?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:07 AM

They will clean up, only to become gooey again later. Not sure if it will ever end...
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:03 AM

Wow, so the wheel isn't supposed to be completely smooth
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
They will clean up, only to become gooey again later. Not sure if it will ever end...
So is there any cure for the ooozzzeeing goo ? I sure have not run across it, those wheels can be nasty, but they sure look good.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:23 AM

could someone please post pictures of a reproduction steering wheel to compare to the original one. Thanks

Lee
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:53 AM

Is this "stickiness" only in the warmer climates? My wheel is 35 years old (original to the car) and "feels" just fine. When does this stickiness usually start?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM

I have been told it is a resin bleed from the wheel. Not really sure what it is though. I have been able to clean them with very hot water and straight dish washing soap. Once clean again I use a cleaner wax to renew the shine. Would be interesting to see other methods to clean them too.

Lee
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

The gooiness is outgassing of the volatiles in the rubber outer covering and it won't end. It's worse in the heat. The oils from your skin make it worse. The only thing I've ever been able to do is to wipe the wheel down periodically with solvent. I've been using pre-cleaning solution (the stuff you wipe your car down with before you paint it). This is exactly the same stuff as GooGone, but in gallon cans. I've seen no detrimental affects in decades of doing this.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
Can anyone tell me if there's an Olds part number on these steering wheels and where it's located? I found one at a swap meet last weekend for $75 but passed since it was scratched and had gooey plastic on the rim. Do these
wheels clean up at all or was I crazy to pass on it?
Hi Mike
Yes there is a part number for the wheel. You'll find it on the backside of the rubber molding near one of the spokes.
The part number you're looking for is 9751871 (This is the same for 68-77 and is found under GM Group 6.5513 in the parts guide

The wheel should be 15 inch in diameter. If you run into a color matched wheel, it's got a different part number, and it's also a smaller (14") diameter. The smaller wheel is referred to as a 'Starfire' wheel. The large 15 wheel is option code N34

'gooiness' does go with the territory. I found that when my wheel got sticky, I just cleaned it up with some good old fashioned hot soapy water and wiped down with clean wet cloth does the trick. You might also consider wearing driving gloves if you feel the wheel is too sticky. I think you'll find a good compromise. And BTW, $75.00 for one of these in reasonably good condition is a good deal. A repop wheel goes for about 225.00 and has the right grain and part number stamped onto it. Guess it depends on what you want and how much you are willing to pay.

Hope this helps
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks so much Allen, that was very helpful. Now I'm a little sorry I tried haggling with the guy. I couldn't find the part number stamped anywhere on the wheel, so I was hesitant to buy given the condition. Oh well... live and learn. -Mike
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:38 AM

NOS steering wheel on ebay 120703827654 but it looks used to me. You be the judge and don't pay too much just because it has a box.

Lee
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Unhappy

Great article thanks I would like a nice un worn original wheel my self...
I just missed out on a couple nice steering wheels a friend had......
he needed money quickly...
found out too late...
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Yes, I think he's mistaken believing that its NOS with a smooth surface and slight grain on the back. I've only come across a couple that had much grain on them. It must have worn away pretty fast. John
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by leepear
NOS steering wheel on ebay 120703827654 but it looks used to me. You be the judge and don't pay too much just because it has a box. Lee
I could put a GM box around something and claim is NOS too. But most people would see through it just the same as they will see through this. If he bought it NOS, it must have been stored incredibly rough . The power of a GM box to put a used piece in!!

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Yes, I think he's mistaken believing that its NOS with a smooth surface and slight grain on the back. I've only come across a couple that had much grain on them. It must have worn away pretty fast. John
X2.
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:24 PM

Lesson 2: NOS is not always NOS..............I sent the seller of the ebay NOS steering wheel a question. I said his wheel does not appear to be NOS because the grain is worn and a NOS wheel has grain on both sides of the wheel. Here is his response: "thats not true at all only the reproductions were grained on both sides". My students will not buy his steering wheel but someone will pay big money for that wheel and be very unhappy or think they have a NOS wheel. Lee
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:33 PM

gooey wheel up here in Chicago, not just in warm environments. I have a repo I can try to shoot soon
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:36 PM

The ebay NOS wheel listed above ended the auction at 325. Looks like nobody was fooled by that auction although the ending price was a little high for a driver quality wheel. Lee
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:13 AM

I just bought a 1978 sport wheel (has two lower brushed silver bars instead of four). It is maroon/red in color and 15 inches in diameter. Actually wish it was 14 inches. I prefer the smaller wheels. I'm surprised by how heavy this wheel is. Wow, it's a lot heavier than the standard wheel on my car. Seems like a sport wheel would be lighter and add less weight to the car than adding more weight!
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM
bil

As they get harder to find,of course the prices go up,and most people don't know what to look for in a real NOS wheel.I certainly didn't until I got a lesson from Lee. (I also got to feel what a real good one felt like over the road-thank,Lee!) ---bil
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Lance

NOS???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OLDSM...item2563a5f8b4
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:57 AM

Wouldn't be the first time a new part was put on a car and the old part went in the box to serve as a spare part...a back-up in case it was needed in the future. Sometimes when parts change hands, the new owner assumes he has NOS because it's in a box. But sometimes it is a deliberate attempt to pass used parts as NOS.
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR
Anyone's guess, but it does look pretty good in the photos. If you're serious about the wheel, ask him for some close up shots of the grain on the front. For an NOS set of Wheel, hub and cap it's a little rich for my blood but probably a good deal considering the repops are now going for $349.00. Note: the bidding opened at 379.00. I'd kind of like to see some sort of proof that the wheel is NOS before I spent big $$$ on it.

Anyone know how you would even tell if you got a repop or the real deal? I'm sure there won't be a 'new car smell' to tell you, and there's usually no production date to let you know. This guy also claims to have a 68 442 grill NOS, and you can see the box in the pic. If he has the NOS boxes that the wheel, hub and center cap came with that might be a little more convincing IMO
Old May 13th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by DJS70cutlass
Wow, so the wheel isn't supposed to be completely smooth
Haha, my wheel is used lol. Still works though
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Lance

NOS??? $1,500.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item2a14ca48bf
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:32 AM

Someone should tell him where the macro button is on his camera so he can take a picture of the oh-so beautiful grain on that NOS steering wheel.
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

NOS = Goldmine???

I keep asking the same question: Why does everyone think that just because it's NOS that it's worth a 2nd mortgage? BTW has anyone bought an aftermarket wheel? I would like to know if the claim the seller makes is true that repops don't have the part number on the back...

If I bought a repop I don't think I'd really care though. My wheel is OEM but shows a fair bit of wear. It is smooth, and there are a few minor gouges. It still seems to steer the car where I want to go though
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Runner

I bought one from someone on this site that was used... smooth, I believe a repo and it did have the part number. Unfortunately, I sold the car that had that one so I can't verify. I only paid 125
Old October 12th, 2011, 10:24 AM

The repo wheels are different than an original N34 wheel. When you compare the stainless spokes to an original you will see right off the difference! The repo has what appears to have a less "fine" of a finish, more like a " rougher grain" when the Chineeze prison worker polished the spokes!
Old October 12th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Too bad you can't 're-tread' these wheels like we used to do with tires....
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM

from 5 feet away the repos look great and they feel nice too, i swear though the diameter is a bit thinner. I'd like to find a nice used one, mine was very slick but everything else was nice about it, in a way I wish I kept it, I'll start looking for a nice used one, may have a mint repo for sale if I do.

not sure about the part number, I'll take a look

Quick Reply: Sport Steering wheel condition guide