General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Warning! Beware the cargo pants!

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Warning! Beware the cargo pants!

Well, in my case it's cargo shorts since we're still warm in the 70's down here. So I'm leaned over the drivers side fender polishing the air cleaner and go to walk away and not realizing the edge of the large cargo pocket on the shorts had hooked onto the top edge of the "C" on the Cutlass fender script and*SNAP*! Broke the dam C off at the bottom of the script where it's swooping into the U! Bun of a sitch! I was able to JB weld it back into place though. But who woulda thought that could happen Rob
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Sorry about the bum luck, but don't worry - I have been hung up before in many places, in all sorts of clothes with various outcomes (some costly).

The top 2:

2 - Catching my robe sleeve on the back storm door handle while going out. At that same time i was taking an unexpected hot coffee bath. So much for a good morning... Had to take a shower, wash clothes, and wash the patio.

1 - Coming in through the same storm door wearing a new lambskin jacket. Sleeve of the jacket caught on the same handle, creating a 6" tear in the jacket.
I then learned, no more sheep's clothing for me - I went to cow hides...

If committed to cut that stupid handle off if it grabs me once more!
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Past Administrator

That's a bummer but glad you were able to repair the script.

I walked around the corner of a storage shelf unit cutting it too close and just about lost the whole sleeve! Got a huge 4 inch three corner tear in the upper sleeve when a corner grabbed the edge of it.
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Well,

I would tell ya'll how many times I've cracked my skull on a 69 hood tooth, but alas, I've lost count.
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Well,

I would tell ya'll how many times I've cracked my skull on a 69 hood tooth, but alas, I've lost count.
You and me both. Finally someone told me to take a tennis ball and cut a slit to slip over it. Works like a charm.
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:32 PM

I guess the one that just tops my 'suicide clothing' list actually goes to an old coworker, 15 years ago.
A bunch of us decided to go mountain biking at a big local off-road park.
They were trying to say that me and my 45lb huffy would not beat their high dollar techie machines, but they were in for a surprise.
I was able to stay right in the middle for over half the ride. This is when the guy up front made the mistake of wearing a floppy tank top....
While trying to dodge a thick protruding tree branch, it caught the big armhole of the shirt, he was pulled off the bike in a second and was thrown to the side into some briers. His bike kept going, hit a root and crashed in the trail. The guy behind him, went off the trail to miss the bike and crashed into some smaller trees. Me and the huffy ran over his bike without incident. The guy behind me was able to stop, but the one at the very back crashed into him.
We made a time-out to assess the damage.

A guy hanging in a tree, a slightly torn shirt, a slightly bent wheel, and some scratches and bruises, some cussing and laughing, and a pack of muddy bikes and riders...
We eventually got the guy out of the tree (wish i had a camera) and we continued on. I stayed at the front of the pack the rest of the way. Great bike that huffy was, no matter what they said - never even had a flat with it!
I recently gave it to my sis and bought an expensive techie bike. Had two flats on the second ride about 6 miles into a forest.
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Well,

If you're complaining about the tooth on your 69, you clearly have never owned a 1968 Cutlass...

And for those who may care, the hood on the 62 is even worse than the one on the 68. (Yeeeouch...)
Old November 5th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Not me but I will tell on my wife, this happened back in 1966 just after we met. At the time we both worked at Boeing in Seattle. Jane work in Blue line control were they copied blue prints on a large multi-lift memo-graph machine this machine had a long handle the you that moved as the machine copied. All of the women had to wear dresses in those days and Jane had a dress that buttoned down the front from the neck to the where it ended just below the knees. Well she got to close to the machine and it ripped the buttons off from top to bottom undressing her. Good thing is she didn't get hurt. Man was she embarrassed. She hates it when I tell that story.
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Well,

I've gotten a mirror image 442 on my scalp!!!
Old November 6th, 2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Man was she embarrassed. She hates it when I tell that story.
Wow - I can see why! I bet that caused a lot of commotion, esp amost the guys... Hope she does not look at this site any - it is getting cold out at night...
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Wow - I can see why! I bet that caused a lot of commotion, esp amost the guys... Hope she does not look at this site any - it is getting cold out at night...
Naw, cars aren't her thing she is a quilter could care less about my hobby
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:54 PM

I did the exact same thing on my 70 convertible. The Cutlass emblem was toast and had to get a new one. It was a factory GM emblem as well!
Old November 6th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If you're complaining about the tooth on your 69, you clearly have never owned a 1968 Cutlass...

And for those who may care, the hood on the 62 is even worse than the one on the 68. (Yeeeouch...)

And the hood on a '46 takes a close third, no tooth in the middle but the front corners hand down quite low. I have scars on my skull to prove it.
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Believe it or not, I did the exact same thing with just my jeans.
The final game of the Chicago Blackhawks championship.

Except the C from the Cutlass logo completely tore a huge chunk of my jeans
out as I pulled away from the fender after cleaning my windows.

I just tossed them too.....