General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

All Olds National Car Show in Reno Nevada

Old October 25th, 2010, 04:49 PM

All Olds National Car Show in Reno Nevada

I know its early but is anyone planning on going to the Nationals in Reno this July? Reno is only four hours from my place so it is doable and I haven't been to that large of all Olds show ever. It would be nice to compete at that level at least once in my life. My car isn't that good of a points car, I have taken to many liberties with my chrome wheels no wide whites and of coarse my Betty Boop floor mats don't help much either, but it would be nice to shine the old girl up and strut her stuff at a big show.

Just curious do we have any Nor Cal Olds members that monitor this web site? If so it would be nice to hook up in Reno in July and shoot the breeze.

Hoping to see you there .....Tedd
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:24 PM

I'm a Nor Cal Member. I all ready made hotel reseravations. I'll be there.
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:31 PM

There will be a caravan of 6-7 cars from the Puget Sound Chapter with me included going
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM

There will be a caravan of 6-7 cars from the Puget Sound Chapter with me included going
Planning on it. Need to meet up with some of you!
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:28 PM

A bunch of guys from NM and from Tx are planning to go. I will be there. Get your hotel reservation in now. We will have a race at Top Gun Raceway in Fallon, NV.
http://www.topgunraceway.com/
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Randy C.

I'd like to take my '68 there and, if I do, I have a good friend that will trailer it with me. That's just too far to drive in a non-A/C car nowadays. Funny thing - when I was a kid, it wasn't too far to drive, but now it is! I sure would like to get my hands on the judging sheets for my car, though. It would be nice to be as fully prepared as I can, but I have yet to make a connection with anyone who has the judging sheets for my car. I'd like to go through the judging sheets and see how my car measures up, at least to how I interpret the judging sheets to be. I'm thinking that there might be a lot of little things I'm not aware of now that the judging sheets would give me an opportunity to fix before the event. Oh, well, I'll keep trying!!! But yes, I'm tentatively planning on being there.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds68442rear.jpg (45.5 KB, 25 views)
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Rcorrigan5, you should be able to get a printed rule criteria from your OCA area person who is in charge of judging at the regional meets, there might be something on line also, never tried that. I do know that judging will be a lot tougher than the regional meets.

My car has been best of class twice at the regionals and I would be very surprised if I won anything at the Nationals. The fun is in the trying. It also gets me off my butt and working on my car doing the things I know about but keep putting off. See you at the Nationals....Tedd
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:57 AM

A few guys here are looking to go. It's close to us. Only 2 days if we push it, 3 if we take it easy.
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
I'd like to take my '68 there and, if I do, I have a good friend that will trailer it with me. That's just too far to drive in a non-A/C car nowadays. Funny thing - when I was a kid, it wasn't too far to drive, but now it is! I sure would like to get my hands on the judging sheets for my car, though. It would be nice to be as fully prepared as I can, but I have yet to make a connection with anyone who has the judging sheets for my car. I'd like to go through the judging sheets and see how my car measures up, at least to how I interpret the judging sheets to be. I'm thinking that there might be a lot of little things I'm not aware of now that the judging sheets would give me an opportunity to fix before the event. Oh, well, I'll keep trying!!! But yes, I'm tentatively planning on being there.

Randy C.
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Rcorrigan5, you should be able to get a printed rule criteria from your OCA area person who is in charge of judging at the regional meets, there might be something on line also, never tried that. I do know that judging will be a lot tougher than the regional meets.

My car has been best of class twice at the regionals and I would be very surprised if I won anything at the Nationals. The fun is in the trying. It also gets me off my butt and working on my car doing the things I know about but keep putting off. See you at the Nationals....Tedd
Should clear up some misconceptions here. There is a judging rule book that is available from OCA. "Judging sheets" don't tell you that much. It just shows the categories and the total points related to category.
You are judged on points, period. Not in relation to other cars. The only relative "win" is "Best of Class" and that is the car in the class with highest point total. 900s (points) is a "first place", 800s is a "second place", and 700s are a "third place. No matter how many cars. If there are 10 cars in the class and they all score 900s, they are *all* "first place" cars.

Randy, we're planning on going (without a car), so I expect to see you there!
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:12 AM

The judging is a 1000 point as a perfect car. THey deduct for things that are wrong. There one best of class,after that all cars will be either a fist, second or third. If I remember correct, you would have to score under 700 points to not to place at all. All I the show I have judged,(never a Nat), have I seen a car ther that was so bad it would be judged under 700 points. If I remember correctly is 700-800 third,800-900 second,and 900-1000 first. Also the best off class must score, if I remember correct, at least 980 points. I will find one of me old sheets and check. These awards are for all classes, and there are lots of classes, like 25. They only hand the best of class at the banquet, all the rest, you just pick them up late Satarday. So you have to have a pertty bad car not to get a third.
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Tedd, Do you have any info on the nationals that you can post? Dates, times and places? I would love to make the trip up and over the hill. I just finished tearing down my car for resto, so this should provide some good inspiration. It would also be fun to meet up with all of you other CO members. Does anyone know if there will be a swap meet? Dan
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5

Randy C.
Randy, you've got to put the wheel covers back on!! That'll get you points!

I'll definitely give this some thought, although in June, that'd be one helluva hot drive for me. Guess I'd have to go to LA first then up through CA. Otherwise, I don't know if the car could handle those extreme desert temps for that long.
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by dk-52
Tedd, Do you have any info on the nationals that you can post? Dates, times and places? I would love to make the trip up and over the hill. I just finished tearing down my car for resto, so this should provide some good inspiration. It would also be fun to meet up with all of you other CO members. Does anyone know if there will be a swap meet? Dan
Come on, it's not that hard to look up the OCA website is it?
http://www.norcalolds.com/public/NCO...ls2/index.html

There is *always* a swap meet at the Nationals.
Old October 26th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Randy C.

One of the things I'm planning to do regarding wheel covers is to have some white stripe tires made and install an original set of wire wheel covers. That's what originally came with the car and I do have a set of 5 original drum brake steel wheels and 4 nice wire wheel covers. Just need to get the tires.

I do like the SSI wheels the best but, as I am now aware, it appears they didn't come on 68s unless they were installed at the dealership (or later on, like me!). SSIs were available for model years '66, '67 and '69 in the drum brake version, and only a few months for model year 1969 (APR-JUL 69?) in the 14X6 disc brake version.

The wheel covers on the car when my dad bought it are another story. It had the original wire wheel covers and white stripe tires when the car was on the lot, but my dad had a set of red line tires and chrome reverse wheels that he wanted on the car so the dealership took their wire wheel covers and slapped on those P01 covers (now long gone) before my dad took possession of the car. Dad put on his red lines and chrome reverse wheels but the red lines soon wore out (I wonder why with two teenage boys with drivers' licenses!). Then he put on a set of double white walls (ugly) and they wore out pretty fast, too. We finally convinced dad to just put on blackwall Goodyears and we would paint in the brand name with the paint sticks you could buy at automotive parts stores. We had to stay after that because the white would turn yellow after a couple of weeks, but that definitely looked good and those tires lasted quite a bit longer!

But, yes, I want to go with the original look for Reno.

Randy C.
Attached Images
Olds68442convLTahoeJul71.jpg (34.7 KB, 29 views)
Olds68442convMar71a.jpg (34.7 KB, 35 views)
Olds68442convMar71b.jpg (42.7 KB, 29 views)
Olds68442front.jpg (44.2 KB, 34 views)
Old October 26th, 2010, 11:33 AM

If you check the back page of JWO before each National Meet, you will also see there are Stock, Street Stock, Modified, and Race Car classes, and the general rules for each. If your car has mags and non stock tires, headers, etc. it fits into Street Stock and there are no points deductions for such items. Materials and workmanship are what matter.
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM

W-Machine, thanks for the link, cool website you have, Dan
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Tedd: You are way too close not to go to Reno! Will be a ball. I'm sure there will be 500 Oldsmobile's there for the Nationals. Don't know if it's the first time ever on the west coast, but hasn't been one there since 1994, when we joined, I don't think. As Joe D (Run To Rund) said, several of us guys and gals will be driving out, making it as a vacation at the same time. We usually leave a week prior to the start, and just meander our way to wherever. We'll be taking the '92 CC (CCRider), I think. Juju wants to drive the '68 LongTop, but much needs to be done in the next 11 months, if so. Look forward, once again, to hooking up with a lot of neat, great people from OCA, and others. The people are what it's all about. The race facility is going to be nearby, and everyone should plan on going to see the romping/stomping Oldsmobile's do their thing. Nothing like it!!!!!!
Old October 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM

Last time in Cal was 1985. Was in Seattle in 2005, last time on west coast.
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

I'll be there. Don't forget, Hot August Nights is the week after which is a HUGE car show all over Reno.
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:41 PM
2 '66 98's

I have already made my hotel reservations. Will be flying into Sacramento, visiting my daughter there and renting a car to drive to Reno. I always enjoy the Nationals - this will be first time without an entry.
Old May 28th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Matthew Reader

I'm going, have reservations! Yea!
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Randy C.

I'm definitely going - reservations are made. Got the original look back on the car with the white line tires and wire wheel covers but will already take a hit because I got radials - just can't bring myself to buy yesteryear's technology when it comes to tires. See you all there!

Randy C.
Attached Images
0510111115.jpg (79.1 KB, 27 views)
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:45 AM

It looks as if we have a caravan of 7 cars leaving Dallas, one hooking up with us in Amarillo from Oklahoma. Juju (our Nagavator) has mapped out our trip as follows:
Sat 7/23 - Meet in Decatur Tx at McDonald's @ Hwy 283/380 intersection
at approximately 9 AM
Decatur to Amarillo on Hwy 283 - 268 miles
Amarillo to Tucumcari, NM - 133 miles
approximately 478 from Dallas
Blue Swallow Motel 575-461-9849 (cash only $66)
Sun 7/24 Tucumcari to Albuquerque, NM - 173 miles
Albuquerque to Arizone border - 159 miles
Arizona border to Flagstaff, AZ - 165 miles
Super 8 (928-773-4888) exit 198, rt. 1 block $62.99
Total mileage this day 497
Mon 7/25 Flagstaff to Grand Canyon for an overview - 80 miles
Grand Canyon to Cameron, AZ on Hwy 64 - 56 miles
Cameron north on Hwy 89 to Utah border & Colorado River
73 miles
UT border to Kanaab through Grand Staircase Escalante
National Monument & Vermillion Cliffs
Kanab through Zion National Park to IH15 - 70 miles
IH15 to Beaver, UT - Best Western (435-438-2438) Exit 109
right $71.99
Tues 7/26 Beaver Ut to Salt Lake City on IH15 - 200 miles
SLC to Nevada border on IH80 - 120 miles
Nevada border to Carlin, NV - 130 miles - Comfort Suites
(775-754-6110)
450 total miles this day
Wed 7/27 Carlin, NV to Reno, NV - 266 miles - arrive at OCA Nationals
Host Hotel
GRAND TOTAL MILEAGE 1761
Anybody want to hook up with us on the way, join our caravan! I agree,
it would be neat of (somehow) we can let others from CO know that we participate, and can put a face with the name. We did this last year at Sturbridge, and it worked great, somehow. Maybe just a printed sheet off your computer with WWW.CLASSICOLDSMOBILE.COM on it???? Suggestions. Once again, really looking forward to meeting y'all!! Sorry for the long message!!!!
Aron

Last edited by Aron Nance; May 28th, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:40 PM

My first respose was that's the busy time at work so no way I can take off for it. Then I checked mapquest and found its less than 5 hours from me! I don't know that I've ever seen more than a dozen nice Oldsmobiles in one place... the car show must be like dying and going to heaven for Olds nuts! Then I began thinking about the swap meet. A swap meet where everybody has Oldsmobile parts . I know I've never seen anything like that! You guys got the gears turning and me looking at the pile of spare parts I've collected over the last 30 years. If I can make it work I'm going to try and load up my pickup and car trailer with parts and take a long weekend off work. If I can I want to take down stuff that's hard to ship, or things people would like to see in person before buying. So I may create a thread taking requests of what people will be looking for. At least I hope some of you guys will have room to take treasure back home with you John
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM

John,
PM me your number and I can hook up with you in Reno. My number 3 son is a fireman in Reno, so he has the lay of the town and a place for me to stay.

Gene
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:59 PM

The Nationals are only a couple weeks away. I thought I would re-energize this thread for some more discussion.

I will be attending with my family and showing my newly restored 1970 olds. Really newly restored because it is not quite together yet. You can see the progress at levelonerestoration.com under lees w-30, see you all soon.

Lee
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:37 PM
70 Cutlass SX

I will be there on Tuesday, have to leave Friday morning unfortunately.
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Randy C.

I'll arrive Tuesday evening and will depart Sunday morning. I'm looking forward to seeing a ton of Oldsmobiles in one place!

Randy C.
Attached Images
0427111523.jpg (53.9 KB, 21 views)
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:07 PM

I will be there Thursday night and return home on Sunday. I live in Williams so will be taking 80 to 20 home. If any one wants to caravan home.

I wanted to go earlier in the week, but couldn't take the time off.
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:26 AM

Olds Nationals

We will be there.
See you there!
Ken
Old July 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM

Has there been a place sited on for people to meet? Is there going to be a "Classic Oldsmobile" booth or meeting spot?
Has there been any plans to meet specific or did I miss the memo?
I plan to be there Thursday and Friday and maybe some part of Saturday.

In short is there a plan or just wing it as we come and go?

Gene
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:40 PM

I plan to print out this thread and see how many I can meet............Lee
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:39 PM
70 Cutlass SX

I do not know too much about how the events work. In looking at the offical events planned there seems to be a first opportunity to meet during the Wednesday Social at 4:30. Could I propose that everyone going to the Social print out the banner at the top of this page and pin it to there shirt like a name tag. I will do that.
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:16 AM

My wife and I won't get to Reno till Friday morning but I assume we will see each other on the show field around our cars, plans could be made at that time. I hope to put a face to some of the names that I have been looking at for so many years. See you there....Tedd
Old July 16th, 2011, 07:22 AM

I'm going to try and get there Wednesday afternoon and stay until late Saturday. I've got two swap meet spaces and one will have a yellow car hauling trailer in it. I'll have a banner identifying myself as a Classicoldsmobile member, so anybody passing by please stop and introduce yourself! I've also given my phone number to Gene so please let me know if a group decides to meet for lunch, dinner, whatever. John
Old July 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM

As mentioned on another thread this AM, Juju and I will be there Wednesday about 4 PM until Sunday AM departure. Big ol' white Custom Cruiser on the Show Field. Hope to meet/re-meet you all. I'll have a neck brace on due to the wreck in Big Red, so be sorta' hard to miss! LOL, sorta'!
Aron
Old July 24th, 2011, 06:27 PM

We'll be flying in on Wed and out on Sunday. Will be at the welcome social and the Lake Tahoe cruise. No car but will probbaly find me on the showfield
Old July 28th, 2011, 02:12 PM

how is attendance at the Olds Nationals? Can anyone post pics? I will be heading to Reno tomorrow to check things out!
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:13 AM

I have attended the st. Louis nats. And the lansing nats along the river. What a blast ! A whole bunch of people with the same interests.swap meet was real good source for hard to find parts..............ed