General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Winter Storage Tips

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM

Winter Storage Tips

Unlike some of you who are fortunate to live in the South, I have to store my ride this winter. My car will be indoors with a temperature about 45 degrees. What are your winter storage tips?

Here's a few of mine...

1. Top-off fuel take & add stabiliser.
2. Fully charge the battery & disconnect.
3. Over-inflate the tires.
4. Jack all four wheels off the ground.

Please add your comments.

Jaybird
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM

im going to add rodent repellent , cover, change oil , wash and wax, stuff tail pipes with
steal wool or dryer sheets,
Old October 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

We just had a good discussion on winter storage here.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-storage.html

I have lived in Halifax, NS for four years with outside storage and Hamilton, ON for 8 years indoors storage and one year in Virginia, indoors. I have not had any issuses anywheres.

Adam
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Unlike some of you who are fortunate to live in the South, I have to store my ride this winter. My car will be indoors with a temperature about 45 degrees. What are your winter storage tips?

Here's a few of mine...

1. Top-off fuel take & add stabiliser.
2. Fully charge the battery & disconnect.
3. Over-inflate the tires.
4. Jack all four wheels off the ground.

Please add your comments.

Jaybird
You don't need stabilizer for 5 months but it's your choice. Don't jack the car up, the suspension was made to handle the weight. If you're worried about flat spots on the tires, again not from such a short storage period. Get junkyard tires if it really bothers you. But no matter what, don't put the car on stands. If your garage catches fire for any reason, grab the popcorn and watch it burn. If the car is on the ground, you can throw it in neutral and push it out.
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Crazy Canuck

Dryer Sheets, dryer sheets, dryer sheets and when you think you have used enough, stuff some more in the car. Critters hate the smell.
Wayne
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 442much
You don't need stabilizer for 5 months but it's your choice. Don't jack the car up, the suspension was made to handle the weight. If you're worried about flat spots on the tires, again not from such a short storage period. Get junkyard tires if it really bothers you. But no matter what, don't put the car on stands. If your garage catches fire for any reason, grab the popcorn and watch it burn. If the car is on the ground, you can throw it in neutral and push it out.
I would most definitely use Stabil or some equivilent. Stabil has a new formula out to combat the corrosive nature of the ethanol in todays fuel. I was told todays gas has a shelf life of about 30 days. Its cheap insurance if nothing else.
Old October 9th, 2010, 04:20 PM

I spoke to a chemical engineer at a petroleum company a about a year ago, said today's gas can last up to a year and still be decent with all the additives in it, would he let it sit that long, no, but 6 months is a no brainer, though as expensive as these darn cars are a can of stabil wouldn't hurt.
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by DarrylJ
I would most definitely use Stabil or some equivilent. Stabil has a new formula out to combat the corrosive nature of the ethanol in todays fuel. I was told todays gas has a shelf life of about 30 days. Its cheap insurance if nothing else.
Heck I use Stabil on every fill-up on my Toronado! (and a bottle full for storage)
Old November 4th, 2018, 09:37 AM

The thought of putting cars away for the season makes me sad. Especially since I never got mine on the road.