General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

69 Gold Interior Paint Door Console

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2019, 05:57 PM

69 Gold Interior Paint Door Console

69 442 Gold Interior

I wanted to paint a few of the plastics in the car ( arm rest, seat belt holder, seat backs and panels under the dash)
I painted the door for the center console (see picture) I am not happy with the outcome. This paint was the mustard gold from Parts Place. I could not find anyone else with aerosol. This looks more tan to me than gold. I would have been better off leaving it

Any suggestions to get
Old January 31st, 2019, 10:22 PM

If you can get the correct color codes most good paint suppliers can make you up a can of the correct color right on the spot.
Old February 1st, 2019, 04:31 AM

No one can make that color,no formula! I went thru this when I did my 69 with gold interior. I sent a sample to Sem and they custom matched it still wasnt perfect but closer than what you have. It was also in a quart not spray can.Another point, there are actually 3 different shades depending on what part your painting. Greg

Last edited by rcktdoc; February 1st, 2019 at 04:35 AM.
Old February 1st, 2019, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by rcktdoc
No one can make that color,no formula! I went thru this when I did my 69 with gold interior. I sent a sample to Sem and they custom matched it still wasnt perfect but closer than what you have. It was also in a quart not spray can.Another point, there are actually 3 different shades depending on what part your painting. Greg
I had my interior paint made up in PPG got it from Norwood paint in new brunswick, I also had a quart made up in lacquer from my local paint guy. Whether in can be put in an aerosol is another question

Old February 1st, 2019, 06:10 AM

I went to all the paint mfgs and not one had a formula, mt ppg store still has laquer and there was no formula,Im not a novice at this,Ive been doing body and paint for over 50 yrs, besides Im kind of a perfectionist and I wanted a perfect color match as most of the interior parts were exceptional original. Close isnt good enough! Greg
Old February 1st, 2019, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by rcktdoc
I went to all the paint mfgs and not one had a formula, mt ppg store still has laquer and there was no formula,Im not a novice at this,Ive been doing body and paint for over 50 yrs, besides Im kind of a perfectionist and I wanted a perfect color match as most of the interior parts were exceptional original. Close isnt good enough! Greg
Greg the paint made matched exactly to the original gold pieces I had, I am getting more to paint the steering column I will ask for the formula, it did take the guy a long time IIRC I also brought an original piece to scan , I have no doubt of your painting skills, and I am the same way good isn't good enough I want it right
Old February 1st, 2019, 06:25 AM

I had two different formulas made from Sem for the different colors in the interior and in order to match it I had to mix and tint those together to get a color match because neither was an exact match if they scanned apart then that's different than having a formula and normally they can't scan anything that has a textured finish. FYI the steering column isnt the same as the upper dash area.There's also a number code that tells how close the match is asked him if they scanned it how close of a color match number it was

Last edited by rcktdoc; February 1st, 2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old February 1st, 2019, 08:52 AM

Thank You, Then there is the amount of sheen that differs too! LOL crazy ! what did you do for the seat backs? I am planning on painting the console gold, was planning on using the same as the dash, although with the appropriate amount of gloss, I figured to spray the seat backs that same gold?
Old February 1st, 2019, 09:14 AM

Turn the seat backs over look at the inside also the armrest bases inside and match to that color Plastics are a different color than vinyl and dash paint and just wait until you do the carpet that's another nightmare Greg
Old February 1st, 2019, 09:04 PM

My paint supplier (in Biz 50+ years) can and does the aerosol can on any factory paint code. Hell I even use him for my model car paint all the time. He just made me up some Code 51 Sebring Yellow paint for a 1/25 scale Rallye 350 model I'm building.Price was $18.00 a can. I could probably paint 5 cars with the can. He also does Vinyl paint in aerosol as well. I was getting the Vinyl paint from him custom made 30+ years ago. Guess I'm lucky.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 04:00 AM

I wasnt referring to spray cans,I eas referring to there being an acctual formula for the color in question Im a professional and couldn't care less about spray cans. Greg