General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car trends

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2019, 03:20 AM

Car trends

The comments are interesting.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...30_HagertyNews
Old January 31st, 2019, 06:01 AM

I ascribe to what I call the 70 year theory. You're going to like the cars you knew as a teenager. You're going to probably die or get invalided in your 80s, thus, 70 years, and the market will drop.

Using that number, Model T's are dead, Model A's are dead, hot rods are dying, 50's cars will die off here in the next ten years, muscle cars have 20 years left.

There's one anomaly, and that's late 70s and 80s cars which pretty much suck, from a collecting standpoint. I do like the G body, but it's simply not worth that much, nor will it ever be. Muscle cars may get another 10 years because of this, then it will jump to 90s cars in the 2060s. Personally, I've seen enough rat rods, t buckets, hot rods, and tri-five Chevies to last me. This is why I go to the Newport Indiana Antique Auto Hill Climb each year. 1942 and older with original power on a 1/3 mile time trial up a hill. No SBC transplants here.
Old January 31st, 2019, 06:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Not a surprise, as Koda points out. People generally collect the cars that were popular when they were teens. I also believe that ours will be the last generation that is really into cars. People today don't care. They want a transportation appliance so they don't have to look up from their phones.
Old January 31st, 2019, 06:43 AM
344879M363895

Fiero Formula love anyone?

Part of the problem is that the guys who grew up loving these cars either aren't able to be fully into the hobby anymore, either due to age or other reasons. This ranges from the people that originally drove these vehicles new off the lot, to those that stayed into them throughout the years with resoration and also the parts guys. And when they leave, so does the knowledge.

That's why a forum like this is so important, to document what everyone has found about their cars and to get it online for all to see. Because in a few years you won't be able to ask many guys about these cars that have any first-hand knowledge. And if you are really looking to future-proof it a little more, get it online into a YouTube video. Let your history and the car's history live on.
Old January 31st, 2019, 04:48 PM
72 Olds CS

I guess the mustangs and soon Broncos will be collectible forever?

i generally agree w Kodas assessment but I don't fit in that hole. g bodies and yes fieros were the cars when I was a teen, but it's the 60s n 70s cars that are my faves. but it's generally the mechanized nature of the beast that draws me in so hot rods, model As, Ts, sleds, bikes even bicycles all draw me in. I think the more hands on mechanically natured people will still love cars, but maybe not revere them the way we do.

i do think that as cars become rarer and the price increases the club becomes more exclusive meaning more people can't pay the admission price and are left out. As this happens the folks who have the inner need will fulfill it w newer models....evenhondas! Making the above assessment true and my bronco mustang prophecy true as well . Oh yeah and f150s too
Old January 31st, 2019, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I ascribe to what I call the 70 year theory. You're going to like the cars you knew as a teenager. You're going to probably die or get invalided in your 80s, thus, 70 years, and the market will drop.

Using that number, Model T's are dead, Model A's are dead, hot rods are dying, 50's cars will die off here in the next ten years, muscle cars have 20 years left.

There's one anomaly, and that's late 70s and 80s cars which pretty much suck, from a collecting standpoint. I do like the G body, but it's simply not worth that much, nor will it ever be. Muscle cars may get another 10 years because of this, then it will jump to 90s cars in the 2060s. Personally, I've seen enough rat rods, t buckets, hot rods, and tri-five Chevies to last me. This is why I go to the Newport Indiana Antique Auto Hill Climb each year. 1942 and older with original power on a 1/3 mile time trial up a hill. No SBC transplants here.
I agree with this statement . In 20 years there will be very few that care about these cars and prices will drop , there will be a few kids that will acquire these cars and hold them for memories but then what will happen to them ? Do not see a self driving hurst coming soon .
Old January 31st, 2019, 07:04 PM
W30

When I was 15, I saw a 72 442 on the side of the road. Mom wouldnt let me spend 1500 of my 3k saved up mowing lawns.
I'm 33 and here I am.....not normal though lol
Old January 31st, 2019, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I guess the mustangs and soon Broncos will be collectible forever?

i generally agree w Kodas assessment but I don't fit in that hole. g bodies and yes fieros were the cars when I was a teen, but it's the 60s n 70s cars that are my faves. but it's generally the mechanized nature of the beast that draws me in so hot rods, model As, Ts, sleds, bikes even bicycles all draw me in. I think the more hands on mechanically natured people will still love cars, but maybe not revere them the way we do.

i do think that as cars become rarer and the price increases the club becomes more exclusive meaning more people can't pay the admission price and are left out. As this happens the folks who have the inner need will fulfill it w newer models....evenhondas! Making the above assessment true and my bronco mustang prophecy true as well . Oh yeah and f150s too
Same. I should be an 80s fan, but I'm a 67 through 72 GM fan
Old February 1st, 2019, 02:41 AM

When I look at the dash I want to see a gauge! Sorry, I'm an analog man. Nothing new really impresses me, and they make the most God-awful sound when they get on it. Besides I couldn't afford the mortgage required on a new musclecar.
Old February 1st, 2019, 07:12 PM

I think interest in collecting cars or however we chose to enjoy them has always been a generational thing. But the perfect storm that happened between 1964 and 1970, give or take a couple of years, will always keep these cars special.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 09:21 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Why would the last body on frame rwd V8 powered generation not become collectible?. Maybe a 1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass won't ever be mentioned in the same breath as a 1957 Chevy, or a 1959 Cadillac, but as they become rare the few left will have some value, just not iconic status.
Of course all the time they don't have much demand it makes the hobby affordable for those with limited means.

Roger
Old February 2nd, 2019, 10:59 AM

Broncos are hot and coming on strong...one just sold for 100k......i never thought id ever see an old bronco worth more than 10k...the times, they are a changing
Old February 2nd, 2019, 05:10 PM
Hookers under Hood

I'm not a collector of anything, I feel bad for guys that are sitting on numbers matching cars that at one time were considered rare to many, to only find out many have been altered. Plus, I don't think the 30 and under club will really car about a documented car. If its not on their phone, then they really wont care.
But, get this"
I really think the older cars that have been built up to "newer" less complicated rides will survive through the millennial years. If they come equipped with upgraded engines, suspensions, braking , transmissions such as the engine pictured below. Then these are the cars will eventually find their way into millennial garages.
They will be able to set them up on their phone, no laptop needed in the near future.

Trying to sell a young guy or anyone up to, or in their early to late 30's . The old iron blocks with 2 or 3 speed (even a 4 speed 2day will be a tough sell, forget a stick shift haha ) trans, low gears that consume more fuel than the thrill they are seeking. They won't want it for the price tag. The landscape is changing quick!
Give any mechanic under 30 just a timing light today. I doubt many would know how to use it. Have the guys in the hobby today don't know how to use them properly. I own one, however I have better luck timing mine by ear then throw my light on it just to record my numbers.
If they can't be tuned with a laptop, most will sit in garages, barns etc. We have already seen so many barn finds, cars sitting for many years that have been rescued and brought back to life.

I'm afraid in the years to come, most of the barn, shed, garage finds may end up back where they we dragged out of if they can been revived with a laptop.
That's the way I see it.

Last edited by 76olds; February 2nd, 2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 07:37 PM
W30

Guys are killing me.......
Old February 3rd, 2019, 12:25 AM
Hookers under Hood

Things change quick, I find kids today loose interest in just about everything they touch and do.
I can see some if not most kids that inherit/buy our cars. Cars that we pulled home from various locations and factory restored them up to the max. Set up with a rebuilt q-jet or any other aftermarket carb, timed, clean plugs, running nicely.
1st, they drive it for the summer then tuck it away for the winter. All is good.
Spring rolls around, its hard to start. They finally get it going, but dam$t if they don't get a tank of bad fuel and the choke is a little sticky. Its starts running terribly, they look for the plug haha, no on board diagnosis. I would bet, most of these kids will push it back into the barn or shed and let it sit like it sat before its rebirth.
I hope it doesn't happen...but when I'm gone they can do whatever they want with my cars.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 02:03 AM

With the exception of the guys at Jeep meets that I have gone to, my Jeep Cherokee, as I rebuilt it, gained alot of attention. The XJ Cherokees, especially stock ones are on the rise in value and getting highly collectible. People just dogged them and butchered them so much, that a mint condition or even a rebuilt-to-stock ( with all OEM parts like I used ) are going for outrageous prices. I could of cut the wheel arches, lifted it 6 inches, and gutted it down to the bare interior for MUCH MUCH cheaper than actually rebuilding it as it was designed. But, in my mind, it would of devalued it, and yet another example of one of America's greatest and most durable SUVs would of been consigned to a teenager who would run it to death in the woods, then scrap it. I bought it for $300, cracked head, no rust or anything, but it had been dogged mechanically. I replaced EVERYTHING in the motor, electrical, and interior, and even painted it in my garage, ( took several months, as I wanted it done correctly. special thanks to DuPont for that Flame Red paint on discount ). Spent $4,000 on its restoration. I found an older gentleman who was a Jeep enthusiast and impressed at its precise, and tedious restoration for a guy my age, was going to pay $10,000 cash. But my dad fell in love with it and I sold it to him instead for $2,000 ( He is my dad, he deserves nice things after raising me and my brother so well. )

Moral of the story is, there are a few of us in my generation ( Millennials ) who value and respect the engineering methods and practices, and architecture of days gone by. So much so, that we want these cars to remain as they were rolling off of the assembly line. But MOST of my generation concedes to the idea that a car must either be fast, or economical, but MUST have ALOT of electronic dependencies. Mechanics rarely come into play when my generation buys an automobile, classic or otherwise. We had to deal with the Great Recession of 2008-2009 .They are merely tools, but must have a substantial amount of electronics to power their devices. My generation is indeed lazy, and most don't give a second thought to cars made in the 1970s-1990s. I grew up with Fast & Furious movies, but developed a slight disdain for that kind of car culture, as massive alterations killed any originality in these cars, where the Japanese cars were the unrivaled kings of the High School parking lot and hangouts. But as fast as the years are going by, even for guys as young as I am, there are those among every age group that will hang on and maintain, pass the torch, and -preserve these big symbols of America's Golden years. Now is the time to find them, as they are dirt cheap and plentiful, easy to repair and rebuild. Rescuing them for posterity. I have hope, but a self-driving car is totally unacceptable.

There will always be a market, no matter how big or small, for any car. But, in the end, it all comes down to the value of the owner, not the market. It is a dedicated, enthusiast market indeed.
Old July 26th, 2023, 11:09 AM

Yes, the 60's and 70's muscle is the best but many other years are memorable. I've even had a very low mile 86 Fiero GT with the Getrag tranny. It was a fun car and I really wish I hadn't sold it. I like a lot of different cars.

Last edited by OLE442; July 26th, 2023 at 03:02 PM. Reason: had post in wrong thread! Oops
Old July 26th, 2023, 04:30 PM

This is a GREAT thread revival. Since 2019 the automotive landscape is changing rapidly as the Government and major automakers attempt to coerce us into (IMO) an undesirable form of transportation with thier "save the planet" electric car boondoggle. This now makes a lot of ICE powered vehicles both old and new potential collectibles. Let's just hope we have fuel available to enjoy our hobby as we have for generations.

Last edited by Az697175; July 26th, 2023 at 04:34 PM.
Old July 26th, 2023, 05:50 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Actually G bodies have gone up in value recently, those teenagers are age now. The H/O and 442 are cool and decently valuable. Problem is 180HP is nothing these days as is their mid 16 second 1/4 mile times stock. I would have to carefully remove the factory exhaust and 307 or just look cool and don't race anyone. The mid 70's stuff will never be worth anything IMHO, bloated and under powered.
Old July 26th, 2023, 07:55 PM

Muscle cars likely will decrease in value at some point. Since this article was written, they have mostly increased in value. I realize that is only 4 yrs ago and things might well change in 10+ yrs. My son is committed to being the next keeper of my 442, but he is love is tainted through my history of Oldsmobile rides. I will add that his crew of friends are equally attached to it through the yrs (all in their early/mid 20's now).
Old July 27th, 2023, 02:01 AM

Resto mods will be the thing that keeps the younger gen interested in muscle cars. The bodies are timeless beautiful cars. As stated, younger generation want the look but modern functionality. Think about who will even be around to repair an original muscle car in 10 years. Try to find a shop thats not a restoration shop now to do work on classic cars. Of course there will always be a market for puritans that want factory correct..As said, it will be a small market..I will enjoy mine till I don’t and they will be worth whatever they are worth then. For me its not an investment as much as a hobby I have been addicted to since I was 7 years old.
Old July 27th, 2023, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Andy
Resto mods will be the thing that keeps the younger gen interested in muscle cars. The bodies are timeless beautiful cars. As stated, younger generation want the look but modern functionality. Think about who will even be around to repair an original muscle car in 10 years. Try to find a shop thats not a restoration shop now to do work on classic cars. Of course there will always be a market for puritans that want factory correct..As said, it will be a small market..I will enjoy mine till I don’t and they will be worth whatever they are worth then. For me it is not an investment as much as a hobby I have been addicted to since I was 7 years old.
I think this is spot on and what I hear the younger crowd talk about a lot in my circles. They like the old car styling but don’t know how or mainly don’t want to know how to fix em. They want modern drivetrains they can tune and diagnose with a laptop in old car styling. I think engine/ trans swaps will be the all the rage in the near future. Heck they are today. Numbers matching original cars will be in museums and never driven collections.