General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

We know where GM is headed... but

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2019, 09:46 AM

The new Camaro is one of the ugliest things on the road, it might as well have a Yugo badge on it.
Old January 16th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by oldcutlass

I believe when interest rates get to the point that it drives a lack of interest in the newer offerings, the cars will get much simpler and less expensive.
Not a chance. The majority of new car buyers want more safety features and connectivity. The fact of the matter is that the industry is going to change drastically in the next ten years. It's already happening. Rush's "Red Barchetta" is like a prophecy.

Some things, however, will be slower to change. Customers have spoken, and the OEM's are listening, in regards to touch screen controls. There is a balance that is being realized in an effort to keep drivers' attention from being distracted when adjusting things that should be simple, such as radio volume and HVAC controls.
Old January 16th, 2019, 11:07 AM
delete

Agreed its not going away but some of it is complexity for complexity's sake. Push button start. Its all well & fine but I never got in my car and thought ohh crap now I have to turn the key too? Then I had my wife's Ford Explorer break down and the flat bed guy was on YouTube figuring out how to get it out of gear.
Old January 16th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Weezer
. There is a balance that is being realized in an effort to keep drivers' attention from being distracted when adjusting things that should be simple, such as radio volume and HVAC controls.
I agree, we have smart phones, smart homes, and the smart/not so smart cars. Distracted driving is getting some serious attention in the Greater Toronto area here in Canada.
You need to be careful not to grab for your coffee from the console when driving, not to be reaching for anything while driving.
Pfffft, Now, I better forget playin' with the wife driving home as well. Lord Tunder' Geez, shiver me timber will have to stop.
The blitz is on here.. Cops aboard the TTC looking down in vehicles to pop them, standing on street corners in plain clothes, on the buses etc. Popping so many drivers today alone on this blitz.

The cars will be much like all the other interactive devices on the market today.
That will be great actually, If I want to hear Johnny Cash's cocaine blues tune, just ask and boom! Early one mornin' will makin' the rounds', I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my... ya know. Put-er-ther'
But, I want a cool name to ask and answer me thou, something like, Hey Aurorahhh, I feel a hunger, its a hunger.....Take me home tonight.
Old January 16th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by droptopron
Agreed its not going away but some of it is complexity for complexity's sake. Push button start. Its all well & fine but I never got in my car and thought ohh crap now I have to turn the key too? Then I had my wife's Ford Explorer break down and the flat bed guy was on YouTube figuring out how to get it out of gear.
I had a similar issue last year when I went to move my sister-in-law's Malibu. The electric park brake was engaged, and I couldn't figure out how to release it. Had to grab the manual, and of course it was general and didn't apply to that particular trim level. I think it wound up being something so simple like starting the car and putting it in gear, and the brake automatically released. Or maybe I couldn't see the pedal b/c it was tucked up so far under the dash? Hell, I can't even remember. Anyway, it made me feel stupid. I'm a firm believer that there should be certain industry standards for things related to safety, and those standards should also include the controls for them.
Old January 16th, 2019, 01:03 PM
delete

The goal is to sell subscriptions with your car. It started with Surius and On Star. Now they have in car WiFi that you have to pay for if you want to keep it. For my son's car I want to have the teen driver app so I can keep an eye on what he's doing but I think that's bundled with another service too. He also has the MyChevy app where you can start the car from your phone but I think that stops too if I don't pay for it

Stupidest Program Ever - on my wife's Infiniti they send me a Carfax every month
Old January 16th, 2019, 01:07 PM
delete

Originally Posted by Weezer
I had a similar issue last year when I went to move my sister-in-law's Malibu. The electric park brake was engaged, and I couldn't figure out how to release it. Had to grab the manual, and of course it was general and didn't apply to that particular trim level. I think it wound up being something so simple like starting the car and putting it in gear, and the brake automatically released. Or maybe I couldn't see the pedal b/c it was tucked up so far under the dash? Hell, I can't even remember. Anyway, it made me feel stupid. I'm a firm believer that there should be certain industry standards for things related to safety, and those standards should also include the controls for them.
We just had a loaner from Infiniti, a QX50 SUV. The push button start start was on the console instead of the dash. To put it in park there was a button behind the stubby little shifter. I don't get it. If you aren't using that space for anything else, why get rid of a traditional shifter?
Old January 16th, 2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
I just ordered a new power window switch for one of our Pontiac G8's , The plastic clip has broke, yet the whole assembly needed to be replaced haha. Anyway, Taking about the Buick Encore being made in Korea, I paid premium prices for the Delco power window, mirror and power window assembly made in Korea.
Again, I really hope to see the day, "The Heartbeat Of America - G.M" branded vehicles and its shareholders go to zero in a heartbeat around the world.
I love my Oldsmobile's and Pontiac's, I will never relate to them as being GM.
My vehicles are referred to as U.S.A built Oldsmobile's and Australian built Holden, Pontiac's. Built by the heartbeat of dedicated hard working, men, woman and families combined for my enjoyment and satisfaction.
My 2 Ford F-150's have been great, I can't complain about them yet haha.

Eric
I have a 09 G8. The front end was damaged by a hit a run, the body shop waited close to a month for a hood vent. Vent finally came in at $450.00. The owners of the last productions of Olds and Pontiac's will play hell in getting replacement parts.
Old January 16th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The push button start is nice as is the door unlocking as you reach for it. The passenger doesn't unlock unless you unlock it. The Challenger does have some blind spots, the collision warning helps, our 2010 did not have any of those things and no touch screen. My 2010 Challenger had a lot fewer technology features than our 2017, nearly everything was on par with a loaded vehicle from the 80'-90's. A lot of the features, like heated seat, steering wheel and command start, I wouldn't do without any living in our subarctic climate. Honestly either of my Cutlass would suck for winter duty. My G body has barely passable heat no matter what I do. I would have to totally replace the vents, pretty major fresh air leak. Plus salt is not kind to either, they rot no matter what you do to them. I did drive a 81 Delta 88 4 door for many winters, it had much better heat and seemed more rot resistant than the G bodies. Really a better made car all around but a big boat.
Old January 25th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Hookers under Hood

The boycott has started for General Motors cars built outside of the U.S.A and CANADA.
IF THE VIN STARTS WITH A "3" ITS NOT FOR ME . Anything starting with a 3 in the VIN means it has been built in Mexico.
Anyone thinking of purchasing a new GM vehicle, make sure it doesn't have a 3 in the vin! So, prior to signing the new car purchase deal, tell the dealership, you will not take delivery on anything made in Mexico with a VIN starting with a 3.

Put-er-ther !

Eric
Old January 25th, 2019, 11:25 AM

Too many people won't care, that's why American consumers are funding China's preparations for atomic war with the United states.
Old January 25th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Destructor
Too many people won't care, that's why American consumers are funding China's preparations for atomic war with the United states.
I'm workin' on a Cyber Helmet 'n' stocking up on Drone repellent .
Old January 25th, 2019, 11:54 AM
delete

Originally Posted by 76olds
The boycott has started for General Motors cars built outside of the U.S.A and CANADA.
IF THE VIN STARTS WITH A "3" ITS NOT FOR ME . Anything starting with a 3 in the VIN means it has been built in Mexico.
Anyone thinking of purchasing a new GM vehicle, make sure it doesn't have a 3 in the vin! So, prior to signing the new car purchase deal, tell the dealership, you will not take delivery on anything made in Mexico with a VIN starting with a 3.

Put-er-ther !

Eric
Maybe its a NY regulation, but stickers for cars in NY show final assembly plant, origin of engine & transmission, US parts content & largest foreign source of parts
Old January 25th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by droptopron
Maybe its a NY regulation, but stickers for cars in NY show final assembly plant, origin of engine & transmission, US parts content & largest foreign source of parts
That is a NAFTA requirement for all vehicles built and sold in North America.

Additionally, regarding a boycott -- that's all well and good for you, but it only hurts the rest of the GM employees in the US and Canada. Honestly, I'd prefer that GM keep building more than just the midsize that is built in KC, but I am officially out of the new car market going foward. They are just too damn expensive. I'll still be loyal to GM, but I'm only a player in the used car market. It's not worth it to almost half of my yearly salary on a new vehicle that is going to have the features I want, unless I hit the lottery. Alas, if it weren't fer bad luck, I'd have no luck at all....

DOOM!

DESPAIR!

And agony on meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old January 25th, 2019, 04:13 PM
344879M363895

Ok, I just read through this a little...got lost on where it was supposed to be focused. But anyway, I read JoeP was saying about how all the newer cars are not for him. I'm beginning to agree.

We have owned multiple cars with "driver assist" tech. Honda, Chrysler, and most recently the newl model Toyota Camry. In every one of them I have encountered situations where the driver knew what was going on, but the computer system had a bad "guess." Every new generation of this driver assist tech seemingly has less risk of failure in these scenarios. But the newest thing I get to deal with is the Camry will lock up the brakes while going through the automatic car wash. Yes, there is a TSB for it....but still. Can you throw some real world testing into your new systems? I mean I know they do, but how does this even become an oversight? Crazy!

We bought the car for my daugher who is starting to drive because this type of tech is inevitably what she will see for the rest of her life. However I am wondering if I should ever upgrade my own vehicle to one that has these options as standard, or if I will even have a choice in the matter. Could be insurance companies start to price you out of the market on the older vehicles as a penalty for not having the driver assist components. Time will tell.

Edit: guess I should say something about the original topic, GM. I have no problems with still buying GM. However, I won't buy any vehicle made in Mexico. Which might be considered strange because I will buy one made in Canada or Japan. But in my opinion, Mexico causes us more problems than what it's worth.

Last edited by 70-442-W30; January 25th, 2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old January 25th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
Ok, I just read through this a little...got lost on where it was supposed to be focused. But anyway, I read JoeP was saying about how all the newer cars are not for him. I'm beginning to agree.

We have owned multiple cars with "driver assist" tech. Honda, Chrysler, and most recently the newl model Toyota Camry. In every one of them I have encountered situations where the driver knew what was going on, but the computer system had a bad "guess." Every new generation of this driver assist tech seemingly has less risk of failure in these scenarios. But the newest thing I get to deal with is the Camry will lock up the brakes while going through the automatic car wash. Yes, there is a TSB for it....but still. Can you throw some real world testing into your new systems? I mean I know they do, but how does this even become an oversight? Crazy!

We bought the car for my daugher who is starting to drive because this type of tech is inevitably what she will see for the rest of her life. However I am wondering if I should ever upgrade my own vehicle to one that has these options as standard, or if I will even have a choice in the matter. Could be insurance companies start to price you out of the market on the older vehicles as a penalty for not having the driver assist components. Time will tell.

Edit: guess I should say something about the original topic, GM. I have no problems with still buying GM. However, I won't buy any vehicle made in Mexico. Which might be considered strange because I will buy one made in Canada or Japan. But in my opinion, Mexico causes us more problems than what it's worth.
I agree, I have no problems buying products from first world countries. There standard of living for the average person is equal or possibly better than our standard of living here, why would I not want to support that?
Old January 28th, 2019, 03:53 AM

There is not a single new vehicle I have interest in. My everyday drivers have been traditional full size American cars, Chevy Caprices and Grand Marquis. Comfortable rides that are easy to work on and dependable but nothing high tech or overly fancy. I’ll probably have to go down south to find another rust free Grand Marquis when my 07 rusts out, so far rust free for now. My 07 was the closest to new that I owned bought it in 08 slightly used for a very good price after the economy faltered. The big trunks come in very handy too.