General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 442 455 cui TCS Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2018, 07:34 PM

Thumbs up 1970 442 455 cui TCS Solenoid

Hi all,

Craig here,

When I got my car the vacuum lines were shot and the TCS Solenoid had a broken nipple. So I disconnected it, then removed it and plugged the vacuum lines. Now I can't remember how to hook it back up. I have a New TCS Solenoid and a New TVS. The diagram on Page 438 in my Chassis Service Manual Fig 6K-16 which is not very clear. Which lines hook up where? the TVS has three vacuum line nipples the center one has a D, I assume this is Distributor, Then #1 on top and #2 on the Bottom. I just can't remember the line sequence. Anyone have a Clear Photo without the air cleaner mounted.
Mine has a Rochester 4Bbl Carb. #7040252 if this helps I am using the Stock intake manifold.

Also a Lodge Member gave me an original Aluminum Manifold he had on his W30 before he put a blower on his car which he now uses for Drag Racing. Is it worth it to install it? Does it make it run better? Anyone know? And will it hurt the current value of my car? it has 19750 Documented miles and a statement from the Owner I purchased it from. My car is 100% Original as it came from the dealer. The dealer did add AC prior to delivery.

From what Grace said, (The Previous Owner), the Dealer ordered Base Models and added options at the Dealership. Does this sound Accurate for the rest of the Country? Or only here in Denver?
Grace is 94 but sharp as a tack. I am sure she remembers correctly. I am just not familiar with these cars, or the options.
Mine has a Posi 323, Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler and 4 core Radiator.

So back to Value, it my car worth more leaving it as is or as long as I save the Original parts, it is OK to put factory Upgrades on?

Home Everyone's Evening is Wonderful, The Denver Broncos Won today!

Craig

My Firewall Tag

My Car as Original.

Old November 26th, 2018, 07:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Craigs442
When I got my car the vacuum lines were shot and the TCS Solenoid had a broken nipple. So I disconnected it, then removed it and plugged the vacuum lines. Now I can't remember how to hook it back up.
Page 6K10 in the 1970 Chassis Service Manual
Old November 26th, 2018, 10:10 AM

Thumbs up Thanks again

I did find a photo in the Electrical section of the Forum.

Thanks for your help

Craig
Old November 26th, 2018, 11:49 AM

Also a Lodge Member gave me an original Aluminum Manifold he had on his W30 before he put a blower on his car which he now uses for Drag Racing. Is it worth it to install it? Does it make it run better?
As far as I know, the aluminum intake is the same design as the iron intake, so no performance gain other than the reduction in weight.
Old November 26th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
As far as I know, the aluminum intake is the same design as the iron intake, so no performance gain other than the reduction in weight.
^^^THIS! The runners are exactly the same. Given that original W-30 intakes sell in the $1400 range if in good shape, I'd sell it to a restorer and put the money to better use.
Old November 26th, 2018, 12:12 PM

Also a Lodge Member gave me an original Aluminum Manifold he had on his W30 before he put a blower on his car which he now uses for Drag Racing. Is it worth it to install it? Does it make it run better? Anyone know? And will it hurt the current value of my car? it has 19750 Documented miles and a statement from the Owner I purchased it from. My car is 100% Original as it came from the dealer. The dealer did add AC prior to delivery.
The aluminum intake is the exact same intake just made out of aluminum, as mentioned it saves weight but beyond that no reason to change it. You would also be taking away from the originality of your car - and its a beauty. I would also suggest selling the intake. A W30 owner would really appreciate an original manifold if it was available. Parts like that can take a while to sell, sometimes they sell quick - all depends on who's looking when. Does it say Oldsmobile (cars built in 1969) on it or just Olds (cars built late December 1969 and 1970).

My earlier build W30 has a manifold on its last legs, has been milled a few times. I'm guessing the next time it needs to be taken off I might not be able to get it to mount correctly and I will be looking for a manifold.