General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 Cutlass AC ducting

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2018, 07:46 PM

72 Cutlass AC ducting

AC ducting to the driver side vent stuck to the crossover piece when I removed it to work on brake pedal. The ducting began speperating and I had to take it completely out. Now I’m not sure how to weave it back through the dash and all the wires and get it hooked to the AC vent. Anyone ever had success fixing my problem?
Old March 12th, 2018, 08:58 PM

Yeah, I have even had to "repair" the duct by wrapping it with (of all things) duct tape. Not sure how much wiring you have, but I put all the wiring behind/above the duct so it would be held out of the way.
Old March 13th, 2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Yeah, I have even had to "repair" the duct by wrapping it with (of all things) duct tape. Not sure how much wiring you have, but I put all the wiring behind/above the duct so it would be held out of the way.
It is the wire and paper ducting that connects to the back of the dash panel and to the plastic ducting that runs across the bottom of the dash. I repaired the ducting with with Duct Tape, but had trouble feeding the tube back through the area behind the dash and getting it hooked to the AC outlet. Maybe my hands are too big. Did you have a trick to feed it back into place and hooked up?
Old March 13th, 2018, 01:15 PM

It's tight up in there, but my ducts were bent in the right shape so it wasn't too hard to stuff them up there and snap the plastic end onto the backside of the vent.
Old March 13th, 2018, 04:41 PM

The passenger side slips onto the right side of what I call the distribution box & slips onto the vent adapter in the dash. The driver side is actually stapled to the vent adapter & then that adapter is screwed into the back of the dash. It is MUCH harder if not impossible to replace that duct without removing the entire dash so you can properly unscrew it from the back of the dash. Like Kenneth said, if your duct still retains its original shape you MIGHT get lucky & be able to get it close to being in the proper position. You might have some luck by removing the fuel gauge so you can get your hand in there to somewhat guide it into sorta the right position. Good luck.
Old March 13th, 2018, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
The driver side is actually stapled to the vent adapter & then that adapter is screwed into the back of the dash.
I did not know this. Mine came out very easily so I guess the screw had been removed sometime long ago, then I just pushed it up and onto the vent. Maybe it stays in place because the duct is short, almost vertical, and quite stiff so it can't really go anywhere?