General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Larin Engine Test Stand

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Larin Engine Test Stand

I've been looking for an affordable engine test stand for a while now and recently purchased the Larin Mobile Engine Testing Station from WalMart (yes, WalMart!) for $234 delivered.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobile-En...ation/51985964

After several weeks of travel, I've finally had the time to put it together.

My primary observation is that the instructions are less than worthless. These make Ikea instructions look like fine literature.

The instructions refer to labels on parts ("A", "A1", etc), but pretty much nothing is labeled. I spent about 15 min studying the assembled photos and laying the parts out on the garage floor and it finally made sense. Actual assembly went pretty quickly after that. These photos should help others who want to get one of these. Note in the third photo the only labels I found on the parts.

Old April 30th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Here are the rest of the assembly photos. The Chinesium gauges have possibly the smallest copper wire I've ever seen. You need to fab your own wire harness to the starter and senders, but the kit does include sending units. There is no provision for a radiator, but the kit does include garden hose fittings that connect to your radiator hoses. That's fine for a quick test, but the constantly flowing water doesn't really let the engine get to operating temp. I'll likely fab radiator mounts. Haven't put an engine on it yet, but I plan to run the 455 slated to go in my 67 Delta soon. The mounting system for the engine is actually pretty clever and should be adaptable to a wide range of engines. The fuel tank isn't mounted in these photos but holds about one gallon.

Old April 30th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Registered Thread Killer

An engine test stand from Walmart?

Let me know when they start selling prony brakes.
Old April 30th, 2017, 02:43 PM

As far as water temp from garden hose, What I did on my 4 speed jetfire was to seal the hose into the water pump inlet and hose on the outlet to ground. I just adjusted the water flow to a slow stream. I was surprised how well I could control the water temp with the flow from the hose even thought the water pump. I was able to let it go to 200 and back down as low as I wanted with the flow. I let it run at 170 degrees for about an hour like that.
Old April 30th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Olds Fever

Seems reasonable and could save a lot of time fabricating from start...
Old April 30th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Bfg

I heard they soon will sell houses just like Sears and Roebuck did in the day.
Old April 30th, 2017, 03:12 PM

I bought the same one two weeks ago online from Walmart. I had it shipped to the local store so I would be able to make sure the box wasn't tore up. I have Amazon Prime but I read the reviews and people were complaining about ripped boxes, missing parts. I trimmed the pipe mounts so I can use Cutlass engine mounts. I'm thinking about fabbing up a radiator/electric fan setup. I'll probably start up a already broke in engine to see how the cooling system works. If all goes good, then try a 20 minute camshaft/fresh engine break in. I always wanted one, better late than never.
Old April 30th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mfgusa
An engine test stand from Walmart?
This is just WalMart trying to be Amazon. The items are drop shipped from the manufacturer's warehouse. Can't beat the price, however. I suspect that I'll probably weld the frame together next time I have my MIG fired up. Right now, there are just two long tension bolts that hold the base together.
Old April 30th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kennybill
I bought the same one two weeks ago online from Walmart. I had it shipped to the local store so I would be able to make sure the box wasn't tore up. I have Amazon Prime but I read the reviews and people were complaining about ripped boxes, missing parts.
Yeah, I was a little concerned that when mine showed up, there was a hole in the box and the two long tension bolts were sticking out. Fortunately, nothing was missing.

I trimmed the pipe mounts so I can use Cutlass engine mounts.
Yeah, I figured I was going to have to trim those to get the 2261/2328 mounts to fit.
Old April 30th, 2017, 04:19 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

How does the engine attach to the stand?
Is everything a bolt on or do custom fabbed modifications need to be made?

thank you
Old April 30th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I may have to buy one. thanks for sharing
Old April 30th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Quite cool.

Thanks, Joe!

- Eric
Old April 30th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
How does the engine attach to the stand?
Is everything a bolt on or do custom fabbed modifications need to be made?

thank you

There is a lot of adjustabiliy in the mounts. The two uprights in front in the photo above fit into the standard Olds motor mounts. As noted above, you will need to trim those tubes slightly to slide into the 2261/2328 style mounts. The crossmember that supports them slides forward and backward, the bases for the uprights slide in and out, and the uprights themselves can be adjusted up and down with a series of bolt holes.

The support behind that with the two straps hanging down supports the rear of the motor. Those two straps can either bolt to the bellhousing face of the block or to the trans mounting holes on a manual trans bellhousing. The crossbar that the straps hang from has a series of holes, the straps themselves have a series of holes, and the uprights can adjust up and down. All in all, lots of adjustability.
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:20 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Thank you for the explanation Joe,now I understand the mounting.
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:22 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Interesting. I am in to see what happens.
Old May 1st, 2017, 03:21 AM

I hope you have better luck with the Test Stand than I did with their 3 ton floor jack. It never worked right from day one. I should have returned it to Tractor Supply. It wouldn't go up unless you applied slight pressure to the saddle. Eventually I bought a rebuild kit and found a seal pinched. I installed the kit and it worked for about two days and then it went back to doing the same thing. I'm guessing the machining tolerances were wrong.
Old May 1st, 2017, 05:21 AM

That's a cool product. I've considered buying a test stand for my spare 455 but have never made the jump.
Old May 1st, 2017, 07:13 AM

I don't like that the engine is mounted in that position, tail end forward.
Any problem with switching the positions of the motor mount bar and the bellhousing mount bar so the headers can go on correctly?
The price can't be beat.
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:00 AM
Restorer

I have this same stand that I bought several years ago and really like it. Yes, I also had to assemble mine by looking at the pictures like Joe did. I replaced the gauges with American Mechanical ones, and added a vacuum gauge. I didn't really like the water hose thing so I added two pieces of angle iron upright onto the frame and mounted a radiator with electric cooling fans so as to get it up to running temperature, watch to make sure the thermostat opened correctly and let it stay there for awhile to break everything in. I have had the Chevy 454 you see in the photos on it and also a Chevy 409 with no problems, real heavy engines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1020983.JPG (173.6 KB, 162 views)
P1020984.JPG (183.2 KB, 164 views)
P1020987.JPG (187.6 KB, 160 views)
P1020988.JPG (180.3 KB, 156 views)
P1020990.JPG (163.5 KB, 150 views)
P1020986.JPG (159.8 KB, 154 views)
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Any problem with switching the positions of the motor mount bar and the bellhousing mount bar so the headers can go on correctly?
The price can't be beat.
The engine support bars can be swapped to orient the motor either way, however the engine neither knows nor cares which way the headers are pointed. Consider the fact that if you bolt the header to the RH head with the collector facing the front of the motor, you could simply swap that head to the LH side of the block with the header still on it and the collector would point to the back of the motor. It doesn't matter.
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:09 AM
Restorer

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
The price can't be beat.
I really like the way the instructions show mounting it, and I did it that way for these reasons:
1. The radiator hoses are away from me as I stand behind the control panel when the engine is running with pressure on them.
2. The radiator is away from me and the fans are blowing the heat away from me.
As you can see in my photos, I turned the exhaust to blow away from me also. If you have exhaust manifolds that are center dumps, making the exhaust go away from you is easy.
Old May 1st, 2017, 10:35 AM

Very seldom do I go to Walmart "but" I was looking for a start up stand on Amazon. I read the comments about parts missing. Hmmm, Walmart ads keep showing up about this engine test stand. I could pick it up or have it shipped. I had a problem with a heavy green house/busted open box/missing parts from Amazon, so I liked the pick up option from Walmart. I was in and out in 10 minutes and they loaded the undamaged heavy box. I was surprisingly pleased with how good/easy it went. I'm betting Walmart just got a dozen orders from this thread.
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Engine test stand update

Well, the good news is that the Chinesium test stand did not collapse under the weight of a 455. I'm taking bets on how long before those solid rubber tires flat spot, however.

I spent yesterday wiring the gauges. They basically give you the gauges and sending units and a key switch and nothing else. No big deal, it's like wiring the dash on a kit car. I naturally have misplaced the instructions by now. The key switch has four numbered terminals with no other markings, but it didn't take long with the VOM to find power, acc, run, and start. The gauges have three terminals, labeled power, ground, and sender, so no big deal. Get it wired up and turn on power. Oil press gauge pegs and temp does nothing. I tried alternately disconnecting and shorting the sender wires, since the gauge should alternately go zero and full scale. Nada.

I'd read several reviews of this unit where people had complained about the gauges and just replaced them with better ones. I was going to do the same, but then wasted an hour not finding my box of gauges...

Figured I'd just go to Harbor Freight today and get their cheapo gauge set (yeah, more Chinesium gauges). Overnight I was thinking that maybe the gauge terminals were marked wrong. Three wires, six possible combinations. Didn't take long to find out that the power and sender terminals were marked incorrectly and reversed. Simple fix, 60 psi oil pressure priming with the drill. Temp gauge goes from zero to full scale with the wire open and grounded. So far so good.

Now to piece together a working starter and distributor. You'd think I'd have that stuff laying around. Actually, I do, but it's faster to put one together than to find the ones that work.
Old May 29th, 2017, 11:38 AM

Saturday I was at a friend's and I was telling him about the test stand I got for $234 from Walmart. I looked it up on my phone to show him. Walmart showed a $610 price! Amazon still has them for around $230. Ever since I showed him the startup stand I've been getting ads from Northern Tool of this stand for $545. They know everything!
Old May 29th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kennybill
I looked it up on my phone to show him. Walmart showed a $610 price!
I checked at WalMart seconds ago and got $227, but they are showing out of stock at that price.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobile-En...ation/51985964
Old May 29th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Olds Fever

PEPBOYS is having a promotion at $153.98... But it appears not available in store and must be ordered...

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/844859/00286

AND Northern Tool is at $549.99...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4501_200334501

Talk about a major price variance...
Old May 29th, 2017, 02:03 PM

I went to Pep Boys site, even though it said "unavailable" I attempted to order one. It wouldn't do anything. Reminds me of a story. A man goes into a butcher shop and asks, how much is hamburger? Butcher says, 4 dollars per pound. Man says, the butcher shop down the street sells it for 3 dollars per pound. Butcher says, then go buy it there. Man says, I can't, he's out of hamburger. Butcher says, when I'm out of hamburger its 2 dollars per pound.
Old May 29th, 2017, 03:04 PM

I just ordered one through Amazon, $227
Old May 29th, 2017, 03:43 PM

That Amazon price is great. I have Prime also. Heavy stuff is always tore up that's why I liked Walmart's store pickup. I would have bought a second stand if I could have got it for $154. One can never have too many toys.
Old May 30th, 2017, 11:52 AM

Engine Test Stand

I realize that my post is not about a Larin eng stand, but I thought that I would add my home made stand.
I can run most any type of engine on it and have ran a 350 ci carbuated chebby motor, a fuel injected motor(loaded now) and a 454 big block.
The mount attach legs are fully adjustable up/ down and fore and aft.
I must admit that I have more than the cost of the Larin stand, but most of the cost was in power coating and Auto Meter gauges.
I have not had cause to put an Olds engine on it yet (thank goodness)
The stand is from a highly modified (by me) set of E-Bay plans. Cost of materials was under $125.00 less power coat and gauges
Attached Images
IMG_0873.JPG (1.00 MB, 111 views)
IMG_0875.JPG (955.7 KB, 100 views)
IMG_0874.JPG (884.6 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by My2nd 69 442; May 30th, 2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old September 1st, 2019, 02:07 PM

Bringing a dead horse back to life. (:•》 Some good info plus some safety tips.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...est-stand.html
Old September 1st, 2019, 02:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Wow, those Corvette guys can get pretty ****.

I've used mine a few times now. I'll say that the three most useful mods I've made are

1. Taller, rubber tire casters from HF so the legs of my engine hoist slide under the run stand
2. Replace the crappy Chinesium gauges with real ones (I used AutoMeter that I got at Carlisle)
3. Plumb a water flow valve in line with the water inlet fitting so I can dial in the temp without running back and forth to the faucet for the hose.
Old September 1st, 2019, 03:16 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I just checked and you guys got good deals. Walmart is now $432, Summit is $433 including shipping, Amazon is $330 plus $103 for shipping for a total of $433 and is not eligible for Prime, and Pep Boys and Northern no longer have them. As Kennybill mentioned, Pep Boys still list them but you can't order them. Looks like $433 is the going price.
Old September 1st, 2019, 06:16 PM

I worked around the low caster wheel problem. Instead of using a picker I wheeled the engine stand over to my 2 post lift. I used the longer lift arm to get it off the engine stand then lowered it onto the startup stand. It worked pretty smooth.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 06:16 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I made my own from an industrial cart my dad garbage picked (because he thought i could use it) lol. I bought some steel and scrounged scrap at the body shop i work at. Works well. Not the prettiest but I have used it 5 times in a year so far. Everything folds into the cart and the cart fits under my bench with the handle removed.
Old September 8th, 2019, 04:11 PM

Pep boys still show for $205
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/844859/00286
Old September 8th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Read post #27. It is listed but you cannot order it. Try clicking on quantity or adding it to your cart.
Old December 18th, 2020, 09:19 PM

Bringing up an old POST

I bought myself one for Christmas but that Walmart price is long gone.

Is everyone using a bell housing or keeping the flywheel exposed?

Does anyone have a cheap bell housing?
Old December 18th, 2020, 09:42 PM

I’m going to use a ski boat rear bell or mount housing . Has the BOP pattern and has an area to mount it to the stand.

Gene
Old December 18th, 2020, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
I’m going to use a ski boat rear bell or mount housing . Has the BOP pattern and has an area to mount it to the stand.

Gene
Got a link?

Quick Reply: Larin Engine Test Stand