General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Decoding Cowl Tag

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2016, 11:17 AM

Decoding Cowl Tag

Any help decoding the attached cowl tag would be appreciated. I have a 1970 Cutlass Supreme (SX?) Still confirming if it is truely an SX. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6733.JPG (99.2 KB, 19 views)
Old July 25th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Randy C.

I don't know if your Cutlass can be confirmed as an SX by the trim tag or not. Someone else will have to answer that. But here's what I see your trim tag says.

ST 70 = style/model year = 1970

34287: 3 = GM division = Oldsmobile, 42 = model series = Cutlass Supreme, 87 = body type = holiday coupe

LAN = assembly plant = Lansing MI

415517 BDY = Fisher body number (has no relationship to the VIN)

TR 979 = interior color and front seat type = ? (I'm guessing a saddle color interior with bucket seats but I'm not sure)

- F PNT = lower and upper body colors, the - meaning the lower body color is a special color not normally available with the Cutlass Supreme, and the F meaning a brown vinyl top

01B = time build code = January (01), second week of that month (B), 1970.

B85 = option code = an exterior chrome belt molding

Randy C.
Old July 25th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
I don't know if your Cutlass can be confirmed as an SX by the trim tag or not. Someone else will have to answer that.
There is nothing on the cowl tag or in the VIN that proves or disproves the car is an SX. The SX package was simply an option on the Supreme line.

- F PNT = lower and upper body colors, the - meaning the lower body color is a special color not normally available with the Cutlass Supreme, and the F meaning a brown vinyl top
Actually, the "-" paint code could be one of two things, More likely is that the car was ordered with one of the four "special order" paint colors for 1970 - Agean Aqua, Sebring Yellow, Rally Red, or Nugget Gold. The dash could also mean the car got the paint bypass option and was painted some non-standard color. This is less likely but possible.
Old July 25th, 2016, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I attached a picture of the car. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6315.JPG (57.4 KB, 30 views)
Old July 25th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Flupian
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I attached a picture of the car. Thanks
That would be Nugget gold, although apparently the car has been repainted and the top replaced. The original 1970 vinyl top was a "halo style" as shown here. Note that the top doesn't go all the way to the drip rails or windshield molding and there's a "halo" of body color.

Old July 25th, 2016, 01:53 PM

The car does have a halo style top, it may be hard to see in the picture. I got the car from a family member in South Dakota about 10 years ago. He bought it from someone. It definitely needs a paint job which I will do at some point, I am going to keep it the same color and vinyl top. Thanks again!
Old July 25th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Flupian
The car does have a halo style top, it may be hard to see in the picture. I got the car from a family member in South Dakota about 10 years ago. He bought it from someone. It definitely needs a paint job which I will do at some point, I am going to keep it the same color and vinyl top. Thanks again!
Yeah, it really is hard to tell in that photo. The wing was not factory available on the Supreme body, either.