General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1972 Cutlass Supreme Headers Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2016, 07:11 AM

1972 Cutlass Supreme Headers Questions

1972 Cutlass Supreme
Original 350 - 4 Barrel
Original A/C
Power Steering
Automatic Transmission on the Column
Everything is completely stock

So I'm hoping I could get a little advice on headers. I've looked at a lot of posts on installing headers, so I am familiar with the problem that websites incorrectly list headers as not available for Cutlass Supremes. I'm entertaining the idea of installing some deep, throaty, sounding headers, but I have a few questions.

What brand or specific set of headers would give me a deep, throaty sound along with being relatively easy to install?

Second, what modifications are usually needed for a header install, I know many people have to move the starter, but anything else?

Am I going to need to move the engine at all or is it just removing parts, installing headers, putting parts back on again?

Thanks for any Help!
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by JRev
So I'm hoping I could get a little advice on headers. I've looked at a lot of posts on installing headers, so I am familiar with the problem that websites incorrectly list headers as not available for Cutlass Supremes.
Thank you for doing your homework first!

I'm entertaining the idea of installing some deep, throaty, sounding headers, but I have a few questions.

What brand or specific set of headers would give me a deep, throaty sound along with being relatively easy to install?
Well, for starters, the headers aren't what's going to give you a "deep, throaty sound." That would be the mufflers you pick. The headers mainly will provide a tick-tick-tick sound on top of the tone from the mufflers, mainly due to the thin wall tubing as opposed to the thick cast iron manifolds. As for easy to install, any Olds headers will have the same problems. You will usually need to lift the motor on each side to get them in. You will need to drop the starter and usually the oil filter adapter. You will usually need to modify the column shift linkage cross bar slightly to clear. You will need to relocate the brake distribution block/combo valve.

Second, what modifications are usually needed for a header install, I know many people have to move the starter, but anything else?
You can't "move" the starter. You do need to drop it during installation, as I pointed out above. Others swear by the use of a mini starter, but I've installed headers in a number of Oldsmobiles, and all have used the stock starter.

Am I going to need to move the engine at all or is it just removing parts, installing headers, putting parts back on again?
See above. You usually need to lift the engine a little to make life easier. Also, it usually helps to remove the steering shaft.

Finally, you will have to pull out the dipstick tube. This requires a slide hammer to avoid breaking it off at the block.
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:25 AM

Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2016, 11:36 AM

Joe, I never had any issues with the brake distribution block/combo valve. I thought that was an issue with big blocks and not so much with small blocks?
Old May 11th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
Joe, I never had any issues with the brake distribution block/combo valve. I thought that was an issue with big blocks and not so much with small blocks?
That's possible. My header experience is primarily with BBO cars.
Old May 11th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I had hooker headers when I had 350 in the car. Didn't need a mini starter, didn't need to move the distribution block. They fit great, but hang little low. Really not an issue if your car is stock height.
Old May 11th, 2016, 02:47 PM

What specific hooker headers did you use? So what did you have to do to install them, did you have to relocate anything or remove anything? Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I used Hooker 3901 ceramic coated. As far as the install I had the engine out so somebody else may chime in, so they got installed as the engine was being dropped. I know it's a lot easier if you lift the engine couple of inches on each side. Nothing was relocated, stock starter.
Old May 12th, 2016, 04:12 AM

had to remove oil dipstick tube on mine.original starter did fit but was nearly touching the header so went with a mini .mine are speed daddy headers from ebay work ok but would not recommend .no matter the header you install your gonna curse a bit
Old May 12th, 2016, 05:28 AM
72Cutlass S

If your car is all stock. Just keep the exhaust manifolds and run dual exhaust into a set of Dyno max super turbos. It will be a lot less work and still sound great.
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gs72
If your car is all stock. Just keep the exhaust manifolds and run dual exhaust into a set of Dyno max super turbos. It will be a lot less work and still sound great.
While giving up about 20 HP as compared to headers...
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by gs72
It's really not that much work on small block.