General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

You know your gonna get bad service when.....

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:55 AM

You know your gonna get bad service when.....

Ok, so I go to the local Monument Auto Parts in my neighborhood, to get some gaskets, for my exhaust manifolds (I think they need to be planed). When the guy asks me my year, make, & model, I tell him 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 350 / 350 etc etc...
Then, what he throws down on the counter looks totally different. Since I know my engine, and this aint my first Prom, I question the man. Well, he insists that this is what I need, so I take him out to my Olds, and show him. The difference is immediately noticeable.
To my surprise, and according to this gentleman, I do not have a Olds motor any longer... nope. In fact, what I now have, unbeknownst to me, is indeed a CHEVY SMALL BLOCK! yes, its true he says!
Well god damn it, who the hell swapped my engine when I wasnt around? NO ONE DID, its an Olds motor for real. LOL
So, I go through all the paces showing this guy the difference between an Olds motor, & a Chevy. You'd think the larger overall size, the valve covers, would do it, right? nope. He says it is now , " a Chevy motor, with Olds heads!" Yep, "they used to do that in the old days" LOL
So I say, " what about that there oil filler tube coming straight out the front of the engine?"
Stumped in his own failure to admit wrong, he says," That is a tube put there by the original owner, threaded and screwed into an old water temp sensor port, to fill the engine with oil, because the valve covers do not have an oil fill cap"
At this point, I was dumbfounded. I thanked the man for his time, knowledge, and expertise. "I cannot buy these parts today Sir", "I have to go home"
Then, I stopped by the old-school machine shop in town, got the right gaskets in two seconds, and the rest is history.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:41 AM
"Trying to fix her right"

That just goes to show you, "you can't fix stupid"
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Hmm - me thinks he needs a new career.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:03 PM

I never argue with someone that thinks they know more then I do.
Not worthy of my time.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:57 PM

Apparently he has never seen a chevy 350 either. Must drive a Yugo
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:15 PM

Like having a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:20 PM

Parts people at these national stores tend to be too young to even know what you are asking for on these older cars. One of the many joys of owning an Oldsmobile.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:33 PM

You never argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:58 PM

Sounds to me like the Norm in every parts store I go to!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:41 PM

old new it doesn't matter i can quote the parts name out of the factory service manaul and they will say that the part doesn't exist
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:41 PM

I am amazed at the ability of the human mind to come up with the most incredible amount of absolute crap!
On a positive note you will be able to tell this story for years to come

Mike
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:15 PM

before you bash the counter monkeys too hard...Sometimes the customer is no better.... Wife works in an "advanced" auto parts or so the customers call it... she hears it all... "what are you looking for?" A cadillac converter "Oh, ok, what year cadillac?" no no, a cadillac converter...you know... the part in the exhaust pipe....(wife catches on).... "ohhhhh ok, a catalytic converter" yeah that's what I said... "ok for what kind of car" Its a Bro-Ham.... "ok, what make vehicle?" its a Bro Ham. that's the badges on the door right? "Ok, is that car here with you right now?" No its my brothers wifes uncles sisters car the next town over... why? Don't you know what you are doing here???"

And the stories go on and on and on. Trust me, the customers are far worse than that guy. That counter guy was just plain car ignorant,... customers are just plain dumb...

John
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:58 PM

I understand all to well. I thought showing him, would "get the needle straight"!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:59 PM

Sometimes all a man has to do, is get other men to relate to the situation. Thank you all for the comments!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Next you should have asked him for a thermostat for a 66 Beetle. Your other project.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:14 PM
Justin

[QUOTE=Gone Johnson;what about that there oil filler tube coming straight out the front of the engine?"
Stumped in his own failure to admit wrong, he says," That is a tube put there by the original owner, threaded and screwed into an old water temp sensor port, to
history.[/QUOTE]
Now I would think if you needed to add oil through a water port you have more problems then needing gaskets
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:25 PM

Jesus H. Christ! Now why didnt THAT come to me?? Mr. Oldstata, you are a genius!
Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eightupman

And the stories go on and on and on. Trust me, the customers are far worse than that guy. That counter guy was just plain car ignorant,... customers are just plain dumb...

John
I know what you're saying, but the customers are not paid to be knowledgeable about the parts they sell and what car they are for. Part of what the customers pay for is the parts guy's "expertise".
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:48 AM
Lansing built

The problem is with most national parts chains are that they are just a job or stepping stone for most people behind the counter, maybe if the companies paid $38-42K per year maybe they would have somebody with the skill and knowledge.

I will take issue with both sides I work 50hrs a week behind a parts counter at my dealership (non automotive) We vend for 35 different companies and have to know your stuff, it takes time and care to have the skill set for that job. Our average age at the counter is 45 years old and the avg experience level is at least 15 yrs. People come from two counties or better away and even other states, because we know our stuff, and some state thats why I come here because I always get the right stuff and not only that, you guys know how to remove and install also!

Now on the other side about 20% of the customers don't even know the model number/name let alone a serial number of what they are working on and they own it! My crystal ball and tea leaves can't help you, unless you purchased that product from us than the computer will tell us what you bought. And then on top of it some people are trying to do engine rebuilds or working skilled electrical projects and don't even have a service manual or even a multi meter in order to do the job!

Pat
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:25 AM
Justin

Originally Posted by Gone Johnson
Jesus H. Christ! Now why didnt THAT come to me?? Mr. Oldstata, you are a genius!
Well I am not sure about that , I have asked some really stupid questions before !
But what gets me is how you tried to expand his knowlege and he just kept digging his hole .