General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wonderings of a whippersnapper...

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Wonderings of a whippersnapper...

I test cars for a living and have found that even the cheapest of them are generally well-assembled. But it took parking a $212k [no typo] Mercedes S65 AMG next to my Custom Cruiser to notice that you can't seem to buy craftsmanship anymore.

From the perfect little rectangle of body-matching paint on the door handles to all the beautifully-joined woodgrain--the small stuff especially, like around the rear window--plastic and chrome, it's hard NOT to find truly exceptional detail work anywhere on her.

Now, however, it's like buyers stopped caring about that stuff. How else can the monochrome jellybean that you find made by EVERYBODY be explained?

Lots of cars have elegant FEATURES--a grille here, a chrome swoop there--but walk around any new car and try to find something you could proudly say YOU did it.

[Except that Benzes 621 hp twin-turbo 6-liter V-12. That one's mine...]

Last edited by auto_editor; November 20th, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Wink

I think there is a total dif outlook from many now!!! Do you always watch where you park it???
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Unfortunately, new cars are styled in the wind tunnel first, which is why all of them look alike (the same way that all commercial jetliners look alike). Frankly, there are almost no cars built in the last 20 years that do anything for me. POSSIBLY a CTS-V wagon (with manual trans). I wouldn't kick a Viper out of the garage, either, but that's about it. Nothing else excites me. The German cars especially are soulless. I can appreciate the performance, but too much electronic intervention. Even the supercars. I'd take a Muira over any new Lambo. Sorry, I'll stick to my 1960s through 1980s cars.
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:33 AM

Its a struggle just to buy a daily driver for my wife so I just buy here a generic car with a 100k warranty for 15k. There are several dozen to choose from and you can't tell them apart. Me, I am stuck in the 40's thru 60's period. I need to buy a pickup and have been shopping around and none of them turn my head either. The 40k price tag sucks as well. Might just find a 66 to 67 CST chev and restore it.
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:06 AM

I do think they are trying to get some of the new cars to have more of a personality. Sometimes it works...sometimes not so much. I do like my daily driver but they are getting expensive. I think my next daily driver will be a mid level commuter type car. I love the Hemi but the cost of the new ones and the price of gas are getting a bit much....
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:11 AM
Administrator

My car appreciation pretty much stopped in 73! The Mustang GT, Challenger, as Joe mentioned a CTS-V and the Viper are ok, and would like to ad the retro reintroduction of the Ford GT. Not many offerings for us old musclecar heads from the late 70's on.
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:32 AM

For sound, the Mercedes SLS AMG is acceptable to me.
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:51 AM

It's Funny this subject came up. I was telling my wife just the other day, On his way to work, my dad drove me to kindergarten everyday and on route [to keep me occupied] I had to name the make/model/year of the cars.

In the early 50's I was batting 1000 Today, I don't have a clue.
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:51 AM

Thumbs up Newer cars opinion

Frankly I like the older cars for the looks, I like my 64 still and I've owned it since 69. But I've owned mercedes and thought they weren't worth the expense. I'm currently driving a 12 Hyundai Genesis and it's a very nice ride for the money, hate to say it, but I like it better than the mercedes - just my opinion.
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:45 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
It's Funny this subject came up. I was telling my wife just the other day, On his way to work, my dad drove me to kindergarten everyday and on route [to keep me occupied] I had to name the make/model/year of the cars.

In the early 50's I was batting 1000 Today, I don't have a clue.
Same here. I never went to kindergarten but before I was 10 years old (that was 1956) I could tell you any car on the road. Nobody could do that today.

My old 94 Corvette driver was getting tired and I still make a 70 mile roundtrip commute every day. I looked and read reviews and bought a 2010 Ford Flex. It is the Limited with all the bells and whistles and it is red with a white top. I think it kind of retro looking. Most people either love or hate it. You guys can do the same and feel free to. Based on sales, I think more people hate the looks. It is a great vehicle and I love it.
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:01 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

It's funny. Conversations usually go from "Wow that's a really nice car" to "It costs WHAT?!?" You just flat can't tell where all that $$ in the asking price went.

[And just think of how costly parts prices seem now vs. what all those CPUs and whatnot in today's cars are gonna go for in 15 or 20 years...]