General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Who Else is Tired of the Term "Rocket Engine?

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2023, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I don't understand the posters that dog on a newbie digging up old threads. If they don't then fools say you should have used the search feature. Obviously there are new members every day. Welcoming new question's can be beneficial to everyone here.
Oldsmobile On!!

They dig on them because it makes them feel important. The search feature here stinks

The vitriol a newbies gets for asking about motor mounts is unbelievable…it’s like once a month the “old timers” get to freak out at a newbie when they ask about motor mounts

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; July 10th, 2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old July 11th, 2023, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
They dig on them because it makes them feel important. The search feature here stinks

The vitriol a newbies gets for asking about motor mounts is unbelievable…it’s like once a month the “old timers” get to freak out at a newbie when they ask about motor mounts
The search feature is not bad, if you know how to use it. Google searching with the domain name in the string is better.

The reason people get pushback (it's far from vitriol) on resurrecting old threads with something that is tangentially related at best, or making the 20th thread on something already covered, is because it makes the new poster look like they are too dumb to understand that this conversation ended 15 years ago and the part is not still for sale, or too oblivious to even notice there are dates on the posts in the first place, or that they lack the self-sufficiency, perception, and self-awareness to think that maybe the answer is already here and they could just look for itinstead of making a new post. For any of these reasons, it's not a good look. I refuse to think, even in an old guys' hobby, that there are old guys that are still computer illiterate. Rather,it's like the mechanic that messed up Tedd's hood latch; he took the time to explain it to them, and the mechanic just didn't care enough to listen. New members often just can't be arsed enough to use the forum correctly.

Although I dislike having tons of rules on a forum, if we had the capability, it would be a good idea to make new users type in the correct answer to a series of questions while registering.
1. What should you do before making a post asking a question?
2. What should you assume if you encounter a decade old for sale ad?
3. After you have done #1, where should you ask your question and in what method?

Last edited by Koda; July 11th, 2023 at 06:01 AM.
Old July 11th, 2023, 05:00 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I don't understand the posters that dog on a newbie digging up old threads. If they don't then fools say you should have used the search feature. Obviously there are new members every day. Welcoming new question's can be beneficial to everyone here.
Oldsmobile On!!
Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS

Maybe I should have been explicit. Digging up an old controversial thread just enables certain members (no need to name names, everyone knows who they are) with self control issues to dig and berate others that disagree with them. I assure you the vitriol spewed, childish arguments, and name calling hijacking threads is more than enough to turn off any newbie as well as long time members.
Old July 11th, 2023, 11:02 AM

Thanks no1 olds fan. Newbies unite! We can have as our theme song Rocket 88 by Ike Turner