General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

wheel lip mldgs

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2010, 10:02 AM

wheel lip mldgs

does anyone know if the rear wheel opening mouldings , on a 70 /72 cutlass S , are the same as on a same years vista cruiser? cutlass supreme is different.
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ragtop olds
does anyone know if the rear wheel opening mouldings , on a 70 /72 cutlass S , are the same as on a same years vista cruiser? cutlass supreme is different.
Fusick sells repo wheel opening moldings and in the catalog listing for the 70-72 sets they say;

"These molding fit 1970-71 Cutlass, Cutlass-S, and 442, 1972 All models including wagons. 1970-71 Supreme applications will have to be cut to fit"

I know the fronts are all the same, not sure about a difference between a Cutlass-S and the other models. The GM catalog shows a different number for the 70-72 Vista and wagon rear moldings than the non-wagons.

The only way to really find out for sure with stuff like that is to try it, they always look like they'll fit until then.
Old August 14th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ragtop olds
cutlass supreme is different.
The Supreme is different because the Supreme uses a heavy die cast trim piece on the side of the car that's a few inches up from the bottom of the wheel opening. The wheel opening trim stops at the die cast piece instead of going all the way to the bottom of the opening, which is why the Fusicks catalog notes that their repro trim needs to be cut for the Supreme. It only involves shortening the ends by a couple of inches.
Old August 14th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Joe, so is it correct to say that the Cutlass S and Vista Cruiser wagon use the same stainless wheel well trim, at least for the 1970-72 years? John
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Joe, so is it correct to say that the Cutlass S and Vista Cruiser wagon use the same stainless wheel well trim, at least for the 1970-72 years? John
I can't say that I've actually tried the 2dr trim on a Vista. Obviously the fronts are the same. Apparently the backs are as well. Interestingly, the Vista wheel opening trim is not shortened the way the Supreme trim is. Note the Supreme next to the Vista in this picture.

Old August 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Cutlass Lover

My wheel well moldings go all the way down in front and in back on my 72?

KentVFW2010020.jpg
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
My wheel well moldings go all the way down in front and in back on my 72?
Maybe because your car/Teepo Gigio is a '72 Sandy?

If your car didn't come with the wide side moldings you don't cut the wheel opening moldings off.

Unless you really want to for some strange reason Sandy, whatever floats your boat.
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:14 AM

The mouldings on the Vista are wrong...they should be the same as the Supreme... I just looked at the '70 dealer album (pg 47) and the illustration for the two seat (4855) Vista has short mouldings and the three seat Vista (4865) has long mouldings ???

Last edited by Yellowstatue; August 17th, 2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Intense observation...
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
The mouldings on the Vista are wrong...they should be the same as the Supreme... I just looked at the '70 dealer album (pg 47) and the illustration for the two seat (4855) Vista has short mouldings and the three seat Vista (4865) has long mouldings ???
I was wondering about that. The 68 VC that I owned back when the dinosaurs roamed used wheel opening trim that was the same as that on the 68 Supreme. Of course those are different from the 70-72 cars, but the VC became sort of a "Supreme" station wagon, using similar upholstery, for example.
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Registered

Mine's a two seat '71 and it has the long mouldings factory, the car was never touched.
The Fisher manual molding clip I.D. illustration shows the rears ending short, also shows a molding where there isn't one, rocker moulding ends short, quarter panel molding is short?
The assembly manual just shows long ones.

Have to find somebody with a period GM parts catalog and see if they list two different ones for the '70 wagons. I can't see how they would be any different than the later models?, especially to distinguish between two and three seaters?, but who knows??
Is this an illustration or a photograph?
They may have thought of it and it got to the art department but never into production.
I've never seen a 70-72 with short mouldings or have even heard of them but anything's possible. I searched forever for mine and only came across long ones.
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:24 AM

The pics on pg 47 are photos as opposed to hand drawn illustrations...both wagons are on the same page...opposing page shows same light Vista with short mouldings....
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Registered

The pics on pg 47 are photos as opposed to hand drawn illustrations...both wagons are on the same page...opposing page shows same light Vista with short mouldings....
This deserves some further investigation.
I love a good mystery.

I'll ask around at the Olds show and swap meet this Sunday.
The part numbers are probably the same if they just cut longer ones off so that point of mine is moot.
Old August 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM

I know on a 69 there all different even on the same Car. No one makes them for a 68 or 69 so be Happy you can get yours. I need one for my 69.